Sailor Family Photos

jar

Let's see some Sailor family photos. To begin here are the 1911 family and the Pro Gear family looking at the castle in winter.

http://www.fototime.com/837C6DD2D2F79B1/large.jpg

My Website

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ILM

• Brian Anderson

• AL01

• Barry Gabay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice. I really like the black & red.

No family picture, but I've got two 1911L's, one black/rhodium and one demonstrator/gold and two Pro Gear's, a black/gold Realo and a black/rhodium Classic.

The classic has a John Mottishaw modified cursive italic nib, the other three are M/F.

I took these pics a while ago. My Sailor family: GlanzAus Neo NM, ProGear Realo B, ProGear Slim F, ProFit Standard MS, and ProFit Fude de Mannen

16473514_10206231978278431_7188718229153

16299288_10206231978638440_5588901597926

16427334_10206231978198429_7142268086169

16388443_10206231978318432_5165643923827

Instagram: @Pactagon

Finally got a chance to shoot my Sailor family (quick and dirty snaps, however):

32842470595_1233d0d502_b.jpg

From R to L: 1911 ebony wood desk pen, 3x 1911 large, 1911 medium colour series, professional gear Realo, pro. gear Imperial black, and pro. gear mini `Morita'.

32842464205_5f377da9ee_b.jpg

But the fun begins when you uncap them (from top to bottom):

-Morita mini with 14k fine (H-F),
-1911 colour with 14k medium (H-M),

-Imperial black with 21k fine (H-F)

The rest are all 21k Nagahara naginata nibs (NAG):

-Realo with cross concord Emperor (CKE)

-1911 with cross music (CM)

-1911 with fude de mannan (NDE)

-1911 with naginata togi medium-fine (N MF)

-Ebony desk pen with concord (NK).

I think I might have a problem...

Edited by ILM

Err... Just wondering, how are the nibs on Sailors?? Do they make for good daily writers, (EDC) ?

They are superb, including the regular nibs. Moreover, the speciality nibs provide much line variation. Of course, if you are looking for a flexible nib, you will be rather disappointed. Nevertheless, most people seem to prefer hard nibs (some call them `nails') for daily writing (work, note taking, EDC) while flex nibs for leisurely writing (letters, journals, etc.).

I don't care for flex nibs. Good to know...

How is the fit/finish? VS Pilot Custom 74?

I would rate the fit and finish of Sailor products as much higher than Pilot. They are shorter than Pilot but also slightly wider in the sections.

http://www.fototime.com/EC47F74AE4DC550/medium800.jpg

In addition, the Sailor pocket clips are far more pocket friendly than the Pilot Custom pocket clips and slightly mor pocket friendly than the Pilot Custom Heritage models.

Edited by jar

My Website

Off to Droomgole's....

I'll know for sure then. (Iain'tahugefanoftheplasticonthecustom74thoubutiknowjustafewpeoplewon'tagreewithmoi)

I would rate the fit and finish of Sailor products as much higher than Pilot. The are shorter than Pilot but also slightly wider in the sections.

In addition, the Sailor pocket clips are far more pocket friendly than the Pilot Custom pocket clips and slightly mor pocket friendly than the Pilot Custom Heritage models.

Hi jar,

could you identify the models? I am looking to buy a Sailor, but confused by the many types and sizes.....

Regards

Marc

Hi jar,

could you identify the models? I am looking to buy a Sailor, but confused by the many types and sizes.....

Regards

Marc

Let's switch to an all Sailor image then.

From Left: 1911ST(also called Profit) King of Pen (there are also plain ebonite versions and urushi coated versions), Large, Standard then Pro Gear King of Pen, just Pro Gear, Pro Gear Slim

http://www.fototime.com/837C6DD2D2F79B1/medium800.jpg

In sizes the Pilot pens are all slightly longer, lighter and slimmer than the Sailors. The Pilot Custom line is like the 1911 while the Custom Heritage and the Custom 845 like the Pro Gear line.

Sailor 1911 KoP second from top, 743 on bottom:

http://www.fototime.com/3C65A9D236DCDD8/medium800.jpg

Sailor Pro Gear KoP on top, Pilot Custom 845 on bottom:

http://www.fototime.com/E6A03459940A211/medium800.jpg

and finally the original image.

From left: Pilot 742, 74; Sailor 1911L 1911S space Pilot Custom Heritage 912, 91; Sailor Pro Gear Pro Gear Slim

My Website

Wow, thanks for sharing all your family photos! I'm new to Sailor; I just purchased my first (a fasciner), but I have to say that I am really drawn to the Sailor aesthetic and I'm sure I will be creating a "family" of my own.

I don't care for flex nibs. Good to know...

How is the fit/finish? VS Pilot Custom 74?

I'll add this to jar's excellent advice:

32480228100_ea27880956_h.jpg

Edited by ILM

Jar,

thanks very much, that helps! I prefer larger pens, so it would probably have to be a 1911 large, but your pics of the Pilot's puts me in a bit of a quandry, as they look more like the size I would prefer. Have just bought a Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne with an EF nib, which, although I am a fine nib fan, is extremely fine.

The only way I could afford a 1911 large is with Eingeika, where they are being quoted at $138, but none in stock....

But Sailor still is the one I really like - can't give an objective reason :-)