The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Did I Got Good Deal On These Two?

8 replies to this topic

#1 butchixanhdo

butchixanhdo

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:41

Hi everyone, 

For the span of about two months during which I had constantly looked at ebay, I made 5 purchases. One of these five pens is a Waterman with a firm nib (that I thought I would be flexible), and one other pen is a Sheaffer gold-filled with a rather flexible nib. The rest of the pens are Swan Mabie Todd. Of these three swans, two of them are very very nice. 

The first is a gold-filled, short pen with a number 2 nib. The pen is in excellent condition, and the nib is so smooth and so flexible. It is much softer than my Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with FA nib. And it writes much much much better than the Pilot. It can make 2.0mm lines effortlessly. 

1485853528138_48942.jpg

The next one is a BCHR swan with a number 3 nib. This pen is even better than the gold-filled one in term of flexibility. Its nib is just as soft, but the line variation is a bit wider than 2.0mm. The ink flow is better too.

1485853549545_48944.jpg

I got the gold-filled one for $130 and the BCHR for $60. Did I got great deal on these two?

Sponsored Content

#2 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 14:19

Typical gorgeous Mabie Todd nibs.

I do not know much about American prices but I would say that your second pen was an excellent purchase.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#3 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 924 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 15:52

The BCHR was a bargain.  Ring tops are funny. They usually don't go for that much. But, if the nib is nice and flexible, that price might be OK.  The two together were a good price, less than you would get selling  them on ebay with those nice demonstrations of the nibs.

#4 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 19:55

How did I manage not to buy these? I love the ringtops and wear them every day, and some of the best writers I own are Swans.

#5 butchixanhdo

butchixanhdo

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:07

How did I manage not to buy these? I love the ringtops and wear them every day, and some of the best writers I own are Swans.

It seems to me that Swans are just as good as Watermans, but how come watermans are always more expensive?
anyways, thank you all.

#6 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:56

It seems to me that Swans are just as good as Watermans, but how come watermans are always more expensive?
anyways, thank you all.

And better in many cases!

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#7 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,908 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2017 - 21:10

Because fashion. Why do middle managers buy Mont Blancs?

#8 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:49

Because fashion. Why do middle managers buy Mont Blancs?

Because they do not know any better?

C.

#9 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,908 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:23

Precisely. Mont Blancs aren't pens: they're status objects.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|