Darkest Darkest Red

mpex

Hello there FPN!

Hoping someone can help me find an ink. I'm open to mixing or an existing ink. I am looking for the darkest possible red I can find. Like the PR Midnight Blues, but in red. I've tried mixing Private Reserve Red with Black but that just gives basically brown. Not sure what if any inks would mix to make a dark dark red. Let me know any ideas!

Thanks!

Moishe

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Ghost Plane

• chromantic

• TSherbs

I do not have anything to contribute to you question about the "darkest, darkest red," but I will relate an experience I have had during the past few years. ---- I THOUGHT I liked and wanted "dark" colors, ---- but for some reason and somehow not completely known to me, poor earthen vessel that I am, ---- I discovered that what I really like are BRIGHT colors, and not DARK colors.

The latest "bright red" ink that I have fallen love with is Papier Plume Cherry-Red. I call it "bright."

Colors of inks are very interesting and add "jest" to writing. I was a black ink only man for many, many years, but moved over into colors about eight years ago, and I am very glad it did.

"Write on,"

C. S.

Diamine Oxblood?

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

Another vote for Diamine Oxblood.

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

I love dark red... but for me, I like the "brown" element in very dark reds... it make it looks like dried blood. :wub: :wub:

Diamine Oxblood is the least brown of the dark reds... but depending on paper, you will see some brown.

C..

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

You might take a look at some of the cherry inks from various ink manufacturers. Some have quite a strong grey aspect but a few have a slight reddness underneath.

How is the bleedthrough with this Noodler's redblack?

I've found it to be pretty well mannered. The color stays red w/o going to brown, more so than Oxblood.

Levenger Claret is a great dark red but I found it a horrible bleeder, even on good paper.

The best I've foundd, though, is KWZ's Maroon. Yeah, I know, Maroon - you think dark reddish brown but, no. This is a straight dark red and very well-behaved, like KWZs in general. Check out clumsy's review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/314462-kwz-ink-maroon/

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I've found it to be pretty well mannered. The color stays red w/o going to brown, more so than Oxblood.

Levenger Claret is a great dark red but I found it a horrible bleeder, even on good paper.

The best I've foundd, though, is KWZ's Maroon. Yeah, I know, Maroon - you think dark reddish brown but, no. This is a straight dark red and very well-behaved, like KWZs in general. Check out clumsy's review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/314462-kwz-ink-maroon/

That is luscious!!!

That is REALLY unfair advantage.

The Clumsy Penman can show an ink to the nicest advantage of ANYONE i have ever seen! His review of Mr. Oster's Direct Sun was responsible for my immediately ordering a bottle & squealing to many pen friends; I just picked the pen filled with Direct Sun to compare with another ink & was again amazed by the ink's properties. I believe we all owe a big thank you to the Clumsy Penman for these wonderful presentations of beautiful exciting inks.

KWZ iron gall red #1 gives fabulous shading from deepest red straight into black.

That was my first thought for a dark dark red. There are some burgundies that probably should be looked at as well, but I can't recommend any (I haven't really found a burgundy ink I like).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That was my first thought for a dark dark red. There are some burgundies that probably should be looked at as well, but I can't recommend any (I haven't really found a burgundy ink I like).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

#3 turns to burgundy, but it's not tugging my heartstrings like #1

That is luscious!!!

I can attest that it is indeed as luscious as clumsy showed it to be.

That is REALLY unfair advantage.

I believe we all owe a big thank you to the Clumsy Penman for these wonderful presentations of beautiful exciting inks.

Thanks, CP, for instigating my purchase of this beautiful ink!

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

The Clumsy Penman can show an ink to the nicest advantage of ANYONE i have ever seen! His review of Mr. Oster's Direct Sun was responsible for my immediately ordering a bottle & squealing to many pen friends; I just picked the pen filled with Direct Sun to compare with another ink & was again amazed by the ink's properties. I believe we all owe a big thank you to the Clumsy Penman for these wonderful presentations of beautiful exciting inks.

+1. When CP (and several other talented people around here) show us what they can do with inks, it is so tempting to think that my writing could look like that if I just bought that ink. It's just like when you see the thin athletic model in the clothing ads. :lol:

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

+1. When CP (and several other talented people around here) show us what they can do with inks, it is so tempting to think that my writing could look like that if I just bought that ink. It's just like when you see the thin athletic model in the clothing ads. :lol:

Snort! I'm perfectly happy to be the plus side model of penmanship. Is that why I love OBBB nibs?