The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Getting A Gift From Fontoplumo- Ups/customs Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mage

Mage

Mage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 15:06

I just recently bought a Pelikan M800 (EF, Black) from Fontoplumo, Netherlands. It is a gift for a colleague and opted to ship it through UPS to Pune, India.

The tracking today has a message "Documentation required for import is incomplete or missing. We are working to obtain this information." + "Held in Warehouse". I had checked the customs webpage and assumed that gifts were customs exempt,  and if at all I'll be charged, they will collect it at the time of delivery. There were other members who ordered it and received it either with no tariff or where it was collected at the time of delivery.

Planning to contact UPS tomorrow, but any pointers on this will be much appreciated. Do I need to contact UPS and send them some documents or will they reach out ?

Thanks.

Tempus Vincit Omnia

Sponsored Content

#2 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,478 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 15:19

I just recently bought a Pelikan M800 

The key phrase in your post is: I just recently bought a Pelikan M800. The fact that you have bought it and intend to give it as a gift to someone else doesn't make it a gift to import into India that has not been purchased. If Fontoplumo has received payment for it, then I'm afraid it's a normal merchandise import.

flying-letter-exc.png

#3 viju

viju

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 16:31

You better contact UPS. They may need ID proof and address proof or some kind of declaration from you for customs clearance. I had similar problems with pens send through DHL and I had to send copies of my ID proof. They did the customs clearance and collected the duty at the time of delivery.

#4 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 16:56

Customs is crazy.

I have gotten more dire messages about refusing to accept at the border and then it arrives the next day.

My personal rule is the easier and quicker it took, the more likely I get burned for $30 from Canadian Customs 30 days later.

#5 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 17:02

I recommend to wait for while. UPS will reach out to you definitely

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

wordpress blog | instagram | twitter

#6 Mage

Mage

Mage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:11

Thank you for all the comments and pointers :)  I got my Pelikan M800 today after contacting UPS a few times, and paying a customs duty of ~11K :yikes: . Overall, it still came to be less than buying it from Indian vendors though. 

Frank at Fontoplumo (no affiliation, just a happy customer) was great to deal with, as some of the other members have mentioned elsewhere.

My colleague was delighted with the surprise gift !

Tempus Vincit Omnia

#7 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 23:19

Good to read it turned out well on your M800, a very very good choice!!!

Sponsored Content

|