The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Collecting Vintage Nibs

collecting vintage dip pen nibs dip pen pen nibs vintage nibs collecting nibs vintage dip nibs

3 replies to this topic

#1 Vintnorthrice21

Vintnorthrice21

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:16

Hello FPN family. I am a younger collector and calligraphy enthusiast and I happen to stumble upon a book of pen nibs from my home town and thought it would be amazing if I could complete the collection of these old nibs. Now it's not like they are super well know like Esterbrook or speed ball. However I was wondering if any persons here would be able to help in and way possible, even be able to tell me if my search will be fruitless or if sifting threw hordes of nibs at estate sales is the only way to go?

I'm attaching a photo of the booklet and the 4 nibs I have so far. If any other info is needed, just let me know. I am really excited to see if I can complete this set.

Attached Images

• AtchisonNibs.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 GJMekenkamp

GJMekenkamp

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 15:41

I have no idea what nibs these are - I don't have that much experience with dip pen nibs.

But: after some Googling it seems that this company is the same company as the 'Lockwood-Hazel Co.': http://www.lockwoodcoinc.com/home.html

Of course I have no idea whether they can give you more information, but it may be a start.

#3 Vintnorthrice21

Vintnorthrice21

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 18:09

Thanks GJM , that company is actually just down the road from me and I had the same idea. I just wanted to see if the vast knowledge of the inter-webs could also help, just rather send out a net than a single line.

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,622 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 22:16

I am very interested to when that poster is from.

I'm writing a western 1881/2 and copper and then silver plated is more than I'd expect in Esterbrook nibs.

There were bronze coated nibs from '94-1902.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collecting, vintage, dip, pen, nibs, dip pen, pen nibs, vintage nibs, collecting nibs, vintage dip nibs

Sponsored Content

|