Nibs.com Pen Measurement Chart

tursilmatik

Hello to all FPNers,

As most of you know, the great reference nibs.com's website has been upgraded.

The first thing I noticed is that there is no good old pen measurement table, or chart, whatever you call it. New website includes all pen's own dimensions at their own page, but you cannot see all pen's measurements on the same chart. I don't know why they did this, but it seems intentional. Maybe they thought that this new way is better: Checking the dimensions of a specific pen which you are interested in.

However, there is no easy way to make a comparison between many brands' many models' dimensions. For example the section diameter should not be bigger than 0.41 inches for me to use a pen comfortably. Or I could say "it should be longer than bla bla and shorter than bla bla" and check the suitable pens for my hands between many choices. You were able to put the numbers in ascending or descending orders for all pens, or just check a brand's different models. Well, this is no longer available as far as I see.

Besides, I realized that some numbers are partly changed compared to old pen chart. Let me give a few examples:

• In old chart, Pelikan M400, M600 and M800 were having the section diameters 0.38, 0.40 and 0.42 inches. Right now, when I separately go to their pages on nibs.com, I see 0.40 inches in all of them, WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY NOT CORRECT as many of you know. This is quite misleading for a newbie, but let me continue to my examples.
  • In new webpage, Sailor Pro Gear Slim and Sailor Pro Gear Classic have the same section diameters: 0.40 inches. However, as I remember from the old chart, Classic had 0.42 inches of section diameter, same as Pelikan M800 family. And even logically, slim and classic models should not be of same diameter at holding place, right? That's why one is called "slim".
  • Similarly, in new webpage, Sailor 1911 Full Size and Sailor 1911 Mid Size have same section diameters: 0.40 inches, which should AGAIN be different as far as I remember from old chart. I remember that 1911 Full Size had the same 0.42 inches of section with Pro Gear Classic.
  • And Nakayas.. As I remember, the thinnest section between many Nakaya models was Naka-ai's section: It was 0.41 inches. Many other Nakaya models like Portable, Long, Neo Standard had 0.42 inches. That's why I had ordered an Unpolished Shu Naka-ai from them, oherwise I was considering Neo Standard model. Nevermind, I just wonder why in their newpage, when I go to these 4 Nakaya models' pages, I see 0.40 inches section.

Well, instead of mailing them, I first wanted to see if other fountain pen enthusiasts noticed the same thing and thought something is wrong.

I have many many pens, and my experiences were quite parallel with the numbers of good old pen measurement chart's numbers, now this new website's diameter information seems to be a bit wrong and a bit misleading. I have two questions to them:

1) Why did they change some numbers? Did they thought like "these are not correct"? Or what? Well, I can absolutely state that old chart's numbers were quite right.

2) What was the intention while removing the old chart from website? Did they thought "We no longer need this one because they all write at every pen's page"? I want to believe in this option, because the other option bothers me and I am quite irritated even writing, that, maybe they did no longer want to share this qualified summarized information very publically. I know it sounds quite silly and longshot, because I made business with them and loved both John Mottishaw and his crew. They are all nice people to communicate. They still have very nice data on their website about fountain pens. Well, I am quite uncomfortable that once a great chart was public, now it is not.

I hope I am terribly stupid to not being able to find the chart's place. And I wonder the opinion of all of you about this.

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolverine1

• Bo Bo Olson

• cattar

• tursilmatik

Top Posters In This Topic

In I buy only old pens....it don't bother me....but I can see folks who buy new pens ending up with pens that are either falsely labeled or changed with out making any waves.

There had been a 'good' reason for having different size sections.....the only reason for making them all one size is one size fits all...less inventory...after all who's to notice if everyone changes with out telling their customers.

New pen owners of those companies can check their new with in the last couple of years pens and report, if they wish to be helpful.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I miss the chart. I haven't looked at the sizing on pens individually since I now know what pens I like.

I would suggest you contact nibs.com and let them know that the current figures are misleading customers as to the size of the pens.

Also mention the benefit of the chart for those like you and I who can then easier compare and choose pens that fit.

I would say that you should just email the good folks at www.nibs.com, and essentially give them the info you have in your post. I am sure they will discuss it with you, and discuss all the concerns you raise.

I agree; I would bring it up to the CFP people and see what they say. I would recommend you just tell them exactly what you have told us here. I have only been shopping with them a short time. I have had them regrind a couple of nibs for me into stubs, and I have been very happy with them. I am not familiar with that chart you mention, but only because I'm a newbie to their site. I'm sure I would've liked having a chart like that with accurate measurements and comparisons. I have very small hands and like a small section, so that measurement is a concern to me when buying a pen. And it would be very easy to compare a pen I'm considering buying with one I already own to see if it will be a comfy fit for my hand. So good luck with asking them to put the chart back; I'd love to see it.