The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Eversharp Fifth Avenue 'sixty-Four'

eversharp fifth avenue 64 sixty-four

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tjt7a

tjt7a

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 18:55

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a set of antique fountain pens and don't know much about one particular pen. I actually don't think I've ever seen it before. The pen on the far-right is most likely the  Eversharp Fifth Avenue sixty-four. Does anyone have / know about it? Is it a rare/valuable pen?

Thanks!

Tom

Attached Images

• pens.jpeg

Sponsored Content

#2 joss

joss

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 19:23

Not really rare and not really valuable but nevertheless an interesting pen because of its peculiar looks and because it is considered the last quality pen that was made by Eversharp.

I think that only the pens with 14 karat solid gold caps were called the 'sixty-four'.

Because you already know the name of the pen, I guess you also found these pages for more info:

www.penhero.com/365_2010/365_012010.htm

www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/5ave.htm

#3 tjt7a

tjt7a

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 21:59

This particular pen does have a solid 14k gold cap and solid gold trimmings. Because it was only made for 2 years, and there's so much gold in it, I'm surprised it's not more valuable.

Tom

#4 joss

joss

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 22:27

My previous statement on value was for the common version of the Fifth Avenue with the 14K rolled gold or steel cap.

The version with solid gold cap is obviously more valuable. You can check ebay's sold items pages for what people pay for these pens.

What is the imprint on the cap?

Edited by joss, 29 January 2017 - 22:28.

#5 tjt7a

tjt7a

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 22:49

It says: "EVERSHARP" and then "14K SOLID GOLD PAT MADE IN USA" in small font underneath. It was definitely used as a daily carry based on the micro scratching, but there's no discoloration on any of the trim, furthering the claim that it's all solid gold.

#6 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:26

Unfortunately these sell for around scrap value.  No one seems to want them.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#7 joss

joss

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:30

The solid gold cap versions in fine condition sell for $ 100-130 which is not too bad.

It seems that the pen always was a bad seller, back then and today still.

It doesn't have the looks but I kind of like its ugliness.

#8 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 8,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:23

The solid gold cap versions in fine condition sell for $ 100-130 which is not too bad.
It seems that the pen always was a bad seller, back then and today still.
It doesn't have the looks but I kind of like its ugliness.

under scrap then
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#9 joss

joss

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:15

under scrap then

Really? What is the scrap value of such a cap then?

#10 tjt7a

tjt7a

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 15:48

That's a good question. The cap, ring (between barrel and section) and the end of the barrel are all solid (14k) gold. It's likely more valuable melted down when compared to the average Ebay resell price.

What this means, is that people are likely to destroy this piece of history and we'll have fewer and fewer of these already rare pens left. I don't find it ugly and it writes very smoothly.

Tom

#11 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 8,058 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:13

Really? What is the scrap value of such a cap then?

Just over 7.5 g 14K scrap all in.  Around $170 at spot today.

#12 Parker51

Parker51

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:22

Scrappers rarely pay anywhere near scrap value however, so until the price of gold goes up again it is likely more valuable as a pen. If however the condition of the cap is poor, you might want to consider contacting one of the pen artists that work in metal creating fanciful creations and ask them about restyling the cap into something more attractive. I have seen some of their work on Sterling Parker 51 caps, but never on a Eversharp Solid Gold cap. It might make an ugly duckling into a swan.

#13 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 8,058 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:43

Scrappers rarely pay anywhere near scrap value however, so until the price of gold goes up again it is likely more valuable as a pen. If however the condition of the cap is poor, you might want to consider contacting one of the pen artists that work in metal creating fanciful creations and ask them about restyling the cap into something more attractive. I have seen some of their work on Sterling Parker 51 caps, but never on a Eversharp Solid Gold cap. It might make an ugly duckling into a swan.

I know the right people, I get ~95% of spot.

Currently worth more as scrap than as a pen.  I've had several for sale at scrap for a long time and no takers.  There will be a dozen at almost any pen show and no takers.  Sad but true. 

#14 farmdogfan

farmdogfan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:03

It would be a shame to scrap it, if it was mine i would give it a good clean, and use it.  

#15 tjt7a

tjt7a

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 22:15

I alerted the seller about the value of the pen, and we're going to sell it. Would you suggest I refurbish it at all? Resacing? Polishing?

Tom

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eversharp, fifth avenue, 64, sixty-four

Sponsored Content

|