90Ya Skeleton 149 Obbb

Pravda

Hello FPNers,

Three weeks ago I made this purchase and promised additional pictures once the ordered nib has been fitted.

Today I present to you Montblanc's 90 Years Anniversary 149 Skeleton with an OBBB nib.

It arrived on the 2nd of January 2017 to kick off the new year! Only this afternoon, however, I finally had the nib arrive/installed.

Here's the box, sealed with the outer carton in the background.

fpn_1485687919__img_7364.jpg

The pen, factory shrink wrapped.

fpn_1485687951__img_7367.jpg

First time handling it in person after opening the packaging is always a joyful experience. I really enjoy seeing the nib from the see-through cap.

fpn_1485687989__img_7372.jpg

Another shot, nib bare allowing first glimpse of its broad features.

fpn_1485688029__img_7703.jpg

And finally the nib itself :)

fpn_1485688291__img_7728.jpg

It is a very generous wet writer, effortlessly gliding down and across the page with minimal feedback. With my small(ish) handwriting, its sharp oblique tilt serves well in italicizing my script producing something out of this world. Going to try it with Miles Davis and see how it performs.

Sorry for the modem burning / heavy pictures post.

Edited by Pravda

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Pravda

• Ghost Plane

• meiers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fpn_1485689526__skeleton.jpg

Tom Kellie, why thank you! I am happy that you like it, after all my introduction to the world of OBBB's is owed in most part to your kind self. I didn't even know of their existence as a nib exchange option until you pointed it out. And now I have left my OB and OBB nibs behind as this becomes my second OBBB nib to join a newly fueled obsession.

As for the Miles Davis, here's what I got:

fpn_1485695581__img_7729.jpg

Oh...my...

Whimper!

I'm so in love.

Darn you! I now have a grail pen that's going to require the sale of a sizable chunk of my collection to achieve. Waaaaaaaa!

Ghost Plane: You've always been fond of skeletons, if I remember correctly. Yalla, go for it :)

Tom Kellie: The entire pen is made of the same metal material, but I am unsure specifically what element it might be. I still have the transparent sticker around the section, maybe the reason why it may be reflecting light a little differently.

The pen is only slightly heavier (and thicker in terms of girth) than an inked regular 149; with ink inside it's noticeably even more heftier to hold.

The star isn't the traditional one, nor is it a mother of pearl. It is darker color almost grey (could be pearl) but difficult to ascertain.

The opening and closing mechanism/threads are very versatile (smooth) and the overall pen is almost slippery, I have noticed. In other words, doesn't have the traction I get from solid silver or gold pens. But it is not steel either, otherwise the pen's weight would've multiplied. On second thought, I am thinking it could be either titanium or another alloy altogether.

Thanks again for your kind handwritten comments my friend :) I have decided to try Kon Peki next.

Yowza, truly something to behold. Time to research some affordable skeleton models because I dig that aesthetic as an alternative to demonstrators. Speaking of digging, I think I have trowels that are less broad than that nib ;)

I'm taking a hard look at my collection. I think you're right and I should go for it in the manner of the proverbial merchant who sold all that he had for one perfect pearl. Gonna take awhile to maximize returns.

I think the barrrel is ruthenium plaredetal and thr star is quartz. It's been a while since I last saw one though so my memory could be off.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Congratulations on an awesome pen. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share photos and tour thoughts.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Just beautiful! I think this and the blue hour are most peoples idea of "true" grail pens (i.e. awesome and pretty much unobtainable), but you have obtained it!

I think I prefer the skeleton design on this one vs. blue hour as well, and like the contrast between the rose gold nib and the ruthinium plate cap and barrel. Congratulations on obtaining a "true" grail!

Tom Kellie: The entire pen is made of the same metal material, but I am unsure specifically what element it might be. I still have the transparent sticker around the section, maybe the reason why it may be reflecting light a little differently.

The pen is only slightly heavier (and thicker in terms of girth) than an inked regular 149; with ink inside it's noticeably even more heftier to hold.

The star isn't the traditional one, nor is it a mother of pearl. It is darker color almost grey (could be pearl) but difficult to ascertain.

The opening and closing mechanism/threads are very versatile (smooth) and the overall pen is almost slippery, I have noticed. In other words, doesn't have the traction I get from solid silver or gold pens. But it is not steel either, otherwise the pen's weight would've multiplied. On second thought, I am thinking it could be either titanium or another alloy altogether.

Thanks again for your kind handwritten comments my friend :) I have decided to try Kon Peki next.

~ Pravda:

This is what I wanted to know. Thank you for explaining it.

There's nothing like information direct from the person who actually owns and uses a pen.

Were one asked to describe the color of the barrel, I'm uncertain as to what the appropriate term of art might be.

Interesting that the pen has a slippery feel.

Iroshizuku Kon-peki was unknown to me until a few weeks ago. Having used it in an OBBB, I'm confident that it will please you.

Please accept my congratulations, again, and appreciation for the information and photos.

Tom K.