Black Lacquer On Waterman Pens?

alwayspete

Hi guys,

I like the pens designs by Waterman and Iove the black lacquer GT combination. I visited the Waterman website to see the models - Hémisphère, Expert & Carène in this color. Even though black lacquer, the pens color looked different in the photographs (different blacks!). This is what the color description (not title) on each model read. They were also different with the exception of Expert and Carène Essential!

Hémisphère Black Fountain Pen GT

H_misph_re.png

...the black and gold duo in superior smooth lacquer...

Expert Black Fountain Pen GT

Expert.png

...the deep black of its lacquer...

Carène Black Sea Fountain Pen GT

Car_ne.png

... high-gloss black lacquer...

Carène Essential Black and Gold Fountain Pen GT

Essential_Black_and_Gold_Fountain_Pen_GT

...deep black lacquer...

As you can see the pens finishes in all the photographs looks different even though all of them are black lacquer. A lot of you must have seen and used these pens. Are they any different or is it just the photographs? I need your help. As I unfortunately don't have access to a retail shop to go try out pens and get to know them first hand before purchasing them.

Do black lacquer pens more easily attract micro scratches than the rest of the finishes even when handled with care?

If so how can I care for these pens so that the finish lasts?

Thank you in advance guys & gals for all your input! Hope your answers help a whole lot of newbies.

Pete :")

Edited by alwayspete

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alwayspete

• Left FPN

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot see the png's.

Some Waterman pens have a satin lacquer top coat (I know because I have polished one or two) and will say so otherwise all are a gloss Black lacquer.

Lacquer is a hard clear coat but in the wrong hands and wrong situation can scratch. In normal desk use and with care they should be OK.

The rest I answered on your other topic.

I cannot see the png's.

Some Waterman pens have a satin lacquer top coat (I know because I have polished one or two) and will say so otherwise all are a gloss Black lacquer.

Lacquer is a hard clear coat but in the wrong hands and wrong situation can scratch. In normal desk use and with care they should be OK.

The rest I answered on your other topic.

Hi Fergus!!!

That's weird! They do show up on my screen! How about now? Can you see them now?

So it's not that easy to get lacquer scratched? That's good to know. Yes any of these pens I intend for desk use only, with much care too. Yes you did kinda answer some of it before. Is it the hour? Where are the rest of the people gone off to?! But nice to see you here :") Thanks too!

Edited by alwayspete

Hi Fergus!,

Can you see the images now? Can you please give me an example of a Waterman pen that has satin lacquer? Do the black lacquer pens I mentioned above look the same in person? Have you seen them all? Thanks!

Sorry I still cannot view the pics.

Satin Hemisphere barrel.

attachicon.gifDSCN1535.JPG

I'll try and get the pictures fixed. So please come back and view them after some time. :")

It looks like a non glossy matte finish. Doesn't it? Thanks for the example. Is that your pen? You polished the pen on your own or you got it polished?

P.S.

I've used the https://postimg.org to upload the pictures and chose the direct link and pasted it in the image text box. Hope you can see it now. It works fine for me!

Edited by alwayspete

That was a Satin Hemi I bought and sold on because it had nib corrosion which I was not aware of at purchase.

A few years ago I purchased a set of Violet Carenes that I now believe had been polished from the Satin finish or they had been clear gloss lacquer finished at Waterman which is rare. They were superb but I sold them on to purchase other things.

Yes, pics are good now and they are all much the same Black gloss.

That was a Satin Hemi I bought and sold on because it had nib corrosion which I was not aware of at purchase.

A few years ago I purchased a set of Violet Carenes that I now believe had been polished from the Satin finish or they had been clear gloss lacquer finished at Waterman which is rare. They were superb but I sold them on to purchase other things.

Yes, pics are good now and they are all much the same Black gloss.

You'd expect a good pen when you buy it and when you open it you see nib corrosion. That's sad and irritating the same time. How were you able to get someone to buy it?! Violet! I've not seen that. Not really a manly color though, is it? Okay the pictures are finally working! Great to know that they are all the same despite of the differences in the photographs!! Thank you for your assistance Fergus! Cheers!!!

You'd expect a good pen when you buy it and when you open it you see nib corrosion. That's sad and irritating the same time. How were you able to get someone to buy it?! Violet! I've not seen that. Not really a manly color though, is it? Okay the pictures are finally working! Great to know that they are all the same despite of the differences in the photographs!! Thank you for your assistance Fergus! Cheers!!!

The pen was second hand (ebay). Many sellers don't know what they have and don't clean them before photographing. It had ink on the nib but the rest of the pen was clean. It's no problem selling a pen with corrosion you just be honest and highlight it in the description and the pictures. Bought for £7 sold for £21. The buyer was very happy.

I would and have worn violet ties ohhhh and pink shirts. There is no problem with colours now.

The pen was second hand (ebay). Many sellers don't know what they have and don't clean them before photographing. It had ink on the nib but the rest of the pen was clean. It's no problem selling a pen with corrosion you just be honest and highlight it in the description and the pictures. Bought for £7 sold for £21. The buyer was very happy.

I would and have worn violet ties ohhhh and pink shirts. There is no problem with colours now.

I don't like such sellers! Makes me cringe. Yes honesty is essential. That three times the price you got the pen for! Great deal! I first read skirts and was oh okay. Second time got it right and was like hmm. :")