Parker T-1 That Was Included In A Set Of Pens For A Shoot

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

I've always wanted a Parker T-1, so it was great fun to have one visit for a while for a shoot I was doing.
http://penhero.com/Temp/ParkerT1_1280_01.jpg
The pen was surprisingly hard to photograph, so I went simple and used a matte gray background.
Tony Fischier has a great write-up on this pen here:
Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• christof

• Ron Z

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great pen, great shot Jim.

Here is mine togehther with some other funny Parkers:

27184637650_dca14e96fe_k.jpg

(click on the picture for larger view)

But I have to say that I find it much more difficult to phootograph shiny metal pens than matte ones.

Christof

Edited by christof

Nice set! Shiny requires some specific techniques, same ones used for jewelry. The trick is not to overcompensate and wind up with dull or washed out surfaces. You certainly know that! Too many nib shots, even by pros, wind up looking matte as a result. The problem with the T-1 for me is that it has nothing to key off of other than the clip. The risk is fade out of any detail, such as stampings or brushed look, or the shiny stuff is too hot.

The problem with the T-1 for me is that it has nothing to key off of other than the clip. The risk is fade out of any detail, such as stampings or brushed look, or the shiny stuff is too hot.

Yes, I understand that.

Nice set! Shiny requires some specific techniques, same ones used for jewelry. The trick is not to overcompensate and wind up with dull or washed out surfaces. You certainly know that! Too many nib shots, even by pros, wind up looking matte as a result.

But I find it not that bad when a nib looks a little matte on the picture. That's why I never polish nibs before photographing them...

31434789012_b79edb1fb1_k.jpg

But still, there remains an area of too much reflection...

C.

Edited by christof

I always wanted to find a Parker T-1. However, when I first saw one for sale on ebay it was so expensive that I knew would never buy one. :D

Great pictures though guys, thanks. :)

I always wanted to find a Parker T-1. However, when I first saw one for sale on ebay it was so expensive that I knew would never buy one. :D

Great pictures though guys, thanks. :)

To be honest, I think that the T-1 is a little bit overrated by collectors. Of course, regarding the desing it is exceptional, but since I own one, I must admit that it hasn't that much charisma as I had expected.

Personally I prefer the Parker "51" which is for me THE modern pen of all times. In comparison, the T-1 is just a short-lived episode in history of Parker.

C.

Edited by christof

This is an example of a shot that Classic Pens uses to show their nib types and Peter Bock used for a calendar. The shot is a compromise to show the full stamping of the nibs with no shadows and shows how the technique used gives the nib a matte look.

The trick is to take care with lighting, shutter and use of depth of field technique and avoid completely killing reflections so the nib looks flat and lifeless. Some professional photos unfortunately make nibs look like they are not shiny at all in an attempt to bring out all the detail. They look technical and lose all the art.

Each nib was shot separately in a small tent with two lamps at each side and the five shots were combined into this image. The only photoshopping was cutting and blending the background.

post-225-0-30628900-1486136438_thumb.jpg

I'll post a Pelikan shot tomorrow where I deliberately worked reflections into the shot to show that it is a shiny surface.

Thanks!

We lived south of Cape Canaveral (15 miles or so) when I was in elementary school and watched the last 4 Gemini flights take off. The dads of many of the kids I went to school with worked at the Cape. The connection with the space program was a big thing to me. I wanted a T-1 for years after seeing the picture in the Fischler/Schneider blue book next to a model of the lunar lander. But the I saw them for sale at the DC show the first or second time I went, felt how light it was, and wasn't impressed with the pen's looks. I might own one some day, but only if I find it really cheap at a garage sale or antique store.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I wanted a T-1 for years after seeing the picture in the Fischler/Schneider blue book next to a model of the lunar lander. But the I saw them for sale at the DC show the first or second time I went, felt how light it was, and wasn't impressed with the pen's looks. I might own one some day, but only if I find it really cheap at a garage sale or antique store.

Me, too! I actually found one at the price I wanted, but just could not bring myself to buy it. Fun for a visit, but not a long term relationship. :)

• 2 years later...

Hi Folks!

This is another photo of the same pen from 2005 with an Omega Seamaster watch in the background.

This is a Parker T-1 all titanium fountain pen c. 1970-1971. The Parker T-1 was a spectacular failure that produced a highly sought after collectable pen. The pen, introduced in 1970, was created to capitalize on the space race frenzy but was discontinued by 1971. The cap, barrel and integral nib section were all made from titanium, which proved difficult to reliably and cost effectively manufacture. Making the nib part of the metal section was a novel design, but the titanium material proved brittle and prone to breakage. The nib has an adjustment screw under the feed to allow for varying line width from the two offered nib grades, fine/medium or medium/broad. The pen came in a brushed and a satin finish and with red ruby colored cap and barrel jewels.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerT1_2048_02.jpg

Thanks!

We lived south of Cape Canaveral (15 miles or so) when I was in elementary school and watched the last 4 Gemini flights take off. The dads of many of the kids I went to school with worked at the Cape. The connection with the space program was a big thing to me. I wanted a T-1 for years after seeing the picture in the Fischler/Schneider blue book next to a model of the lunar lander. But the I saw them for sale at the DC show the first or second time I went, felt how light it was, and wasn't impressed with the pen's looks. I might own one some day, but only if I find it really cheap at a garage sale or antique store.

I have a titanium watch and really like how light it is, not to mention that, unlike steel, it never feels cold to the touch, but after having gotten a brown Parker Falcon (same design as the T-1) I realized that it's not a pen I enjoy writing with for some reason, so I'm selling it. For me, the value of the T-1 would be limited to its scarcity and would be an investment more than a pen I'd use.

alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh