The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Trump's Pen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#21 dan in montreal

dan in montreal

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:42

I'm sorry if I'm going off topic, but I wanted to correct an assertion I made earlier. According to ipenstore.com, Cross inks, while packaged in a Chinese-made bottles, are Japanese made. I have no idea if this is indeed the case, but it doesn't really change the main idea the thread has developed: most products are made from components sourced from more than one country.

Sponsored Content

#22 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:36

I'm sorry if I'm going off topic, but I wanted to correct an assertion I made earlier. According to ipenstore.com, Cross inks, while packaged in a Chinese-made bottles, are Japanese made. I have no idea if this is indeed the case, but it doesn't really change the main idea the thread has developed: most products are made from components sourced from more than one country.

If the ink is made in Japan, why would the bottle say made in China? Do you have a bottle that says made in Japan?

Attached Images

• IMG_1087.JPG

#23 dan in montreal

dan in montreal

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:44

I don't have any except some old black stuff, probably made in Germany (by Pelikan?).

This is what I'm referring to, first paragraph. They sell Cross products and I've dealt with them in the past, in my opinion they're reputable sellers. I don't know why they'd state something that was not accurate (they're pretty up front as to the origin of the products they sell with "Made in China by Sheaffer" or Cross or whatever the brand is in every product description).

According to them, the red, green and purple are made in Japan. I wonder who makes them.

#24 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 14:19

Interesting. I'll have to ask our Cross rep. Thanks!

#25 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 18:01

So here's a question related to this discussion: if the last four presidents have used a Cross Townsend pen, what has been the official presidential ink in the pen?

#26 JulioPB

JulioPB

Julio

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 20:44

I first read that in Taizo's (Engeika) website. Not anymore.

I found this in in pentorium.com:

http://www.pentorium...esident-review/

Julio

#27 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 23:38

I first read that in Taizo's (Engeika) website. Not anymore.

I found this in in pentorium.com:

http://www.pentorium...esident-review/

Julio

After reading the review, the Bill Clinton story sounds like hearsay. I still have not seen any attribution from Platinum that supports the story.

#28 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:55

Well Cross is still a USA owned and headquartered company, so I wonder how long they can continue to manufacture out of country.

Edited by max dog, 31 January 2017 - 04:58.

#29 Astron

Astron

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:00

Just wait for the tweet. :rolleyes:

» Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. But then later there's running and... and screaming. «

#30 plumista

plumista

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:30

I don't have any except some old black stuff, probably made in Germany (by Pelikan?).

This is what I'm referring to, first paragraph. They sell Cross products and I've dealt with them in the past, in my opinion they're reputable sellers. I don't know why they'd state something that was not accurate (they're pretty up front as to the origin of the products they sell with "Made in China by Sheaffer" or Cross or whatever the brand is in every product description).

According to them, the red, green and purple are made in Japan. I wonder who makes them.

Years ago, the Cross inks were made by Pelikan in Germany, at least for the European market, when the brand had a factory in Ireland. They did not bother even to disguise the bottles, so the only difference was the name on the label: if you would find a bottle with the label removed, you wouldn´t be able to tell the Pelikan 4001 from the "Cross".

Later the Cross inks branch was transfered to Pilot in Japan.

The new "perfume bottle style" bottles are currently made in China, as specified in the back label.

The brand Cross does not make any ink, there is no such thing as a Cross ink factory; they only put its name on other makers´ ink bottles.

plumista

Edited by plumista, 31 January 2017 - 12:31.

#31 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:51

Hi, folks! Please keep this non political. Thanks!

#32 thx1138

thx1138

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:38

All the cross I see for sale in Australia have a "made in China" sticker on them

#33 fountainbel

fountainbel

fountainbel

• Premium - Emerald

• 3,698 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:02

I wonder if there is something produced entirely in one single country these days...

Conid Bulkfillers are 100% made in Belgium, nib and feeds in Germany.

Francis

#34 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:44

Wherever they come from Trump admin ordered 150 in January.

https://en.wikipedia...._Cross_Company

#35 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 19:27

I have watched Trump signing on TV.  A vigorous signature, as energetic as the man himself, reacting to everything, flitting here and there.  Quite a show.  I wonder how fast he wears out the refills in the pen? 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#36 dan in montreal

dan in montreal

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 22:36

Interesting. I'll have to ask our Cross rep. Thanks!

I just received an email from a Cross representative:   "Our fountain pen ink is manufactured in our facility in China." Turns out you were right all along. 

#37 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 00:22

I just received an email from a Cross representative:   "Our fountain pen ink is manufactured in our facility in China." Turns out you were right all along.  [/size]

It's not so much about being right as the premise was odd - putting Japanese made ink in bottles labeled China. Thanks for finding out!

#38 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 4,107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 13:18

I have watched Trump signing on TV.  A vigorous signature, as energetic as the man himself, reacting to everything, flitting here and there.  Quite a show.  I wonder how fast he wears out the refills in the pen? 

+1. It would be cool to see him try one of those bespoke Signature nibs on a Montblanc 149.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#39 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 17:09

A man like Donald Trump, a man of tremendous energy and impatience, would not have the time to use a fountain pen or even to unscrew a cap.  More like gas trapped in a mitten and trying to escape.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#40 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 19:48

Having found your posts to be always among my favorite viewing since I began watching, before joining, (Amblin along like I had good sense," will always be a favorite image for me, perhaps because I feel same, especially as I find myself aging amidst a world that has changed so much in my lifetime.)  BUT, the above post just sent me to copy it into my "journal," merely  a composite of things I like to remember for many different reasons. 

"More like gas trapped in a mitten & trying to escape." This conveys an image I fear will "stick with me," far longer than I would like it to!

Thank you, ONCE again, for making my world more enjoyable while "stopping by here."

Sponsored Content

|