Trump's Pen

ncpenfan

The CNN website has a piece on Trump using a cross century II felt tip as the official pen for bill signing.

Thought everyone would fine this fun and at least not contoversial of our 45th president.

All the best, n

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• dan in montreal

• Astronymus

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cross has been the president's pen of choice, hasn't it?

Given that it's an American brand and all. I know President Obama used a Cross Townsend, and so did George W. Bush and Bill Clinton (link: https://www.marketplace.org/2015/03/25/business/meet-pen-obama-uses-sign-bills)

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I would be shocked if the president made the decision about which pen to use for signing bills and other official documents. These official signing pens are given away so they can't be too expensive. My bet is the president has a more permanent (and nicer) pen sitting at his desk for everything that isn't signing things into law.

Ha ha ha...aren't those pens made in China?

:lticaptd: Where's the emoticon for dying of laughter?

Edited by LuckyKate

Saw that article this morning, then chased presidential pens links for too long ;-)

Apparently Cross has been the official provider Oval Office pens for at least four straight presidents. The article mentions the price to the supplier (about half of retail) but not what the government pays for them.

The DC area is a target rich environment for fountain pen fans. When in Fahrney's shopping for some exotic ink, I would keep an eye out for congresspersons or other well knowns stocking up on 149s and such. Not so much in the other area stores. However, I must insert a cheap plug for the fantastic Bertram's Inkwell!

Was Kennedy the last president to use a fountain pen for signing bills?

Cross moved its production to the Czech Republic years ago...

"Buy american and hire american..." :-D

Edited by Calamus plasticus

:lticaptd: Where's the emoticon for dying of laughter?

I think you found it.... ;)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: On a more serious note, I really can't see a head of state using a felt tip marker to sign important documents. A ballpoint or rollerball, maybe. But a felt tip? Yeesh....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Rare objects maybe. These day you can read "assembled in" more often than "made in". First means the parts were made all over the world - mostly china, i guess - and then assembled in the homeland. But chinese scrap will still be chinese scrap. I've heard stories of exotic alloy scrap sold as steel machine parts...

Ha ha ha...aren't those pens made in China?

No.

"Most Cross writing instruments are made in China, although some of the work for customized pens for presidents and politicians is done in New England."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._T._Cross_Company#cite_note-ProJo20161222-1

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed ..."

No.

"Most Cross writing instruments are made in China, although some of the work for customized pens for presidents and politicians is done in New England."

The article states "some of the work", which means a portion of the parts are indeed manufactured in China by Cross. I for one have not seen a recent Cross product that is not made in China, including their inks.

I wonder if there is something produced entirely in one single country these days...

I wonder. Not much I suspect.

No.

The reason is the Presidential Seal requires special handling. The Seal engraving or printing would be done in the USA. I know this from personal experience.

Is it true the Platinum propaganda that Clinton used the President model as a daily pan, and that is why the name of the pen?

Julio MX

Is it true the Platinum propaganda that Clinton used the President model as a daily pan, and that is why the name of the pen?

Julio MX

I visited both the Platinum USA and Japan websites and don't see this claim being made on the pages describing the President models. Where is Platinum making this claim?