Please Help Me Decide On My Waterman Purchase!

alwayspete

Hi guys,

Are there fake Waterman Expert 3 FPs in the Indian market? I plan to buy the black lacquer GT F nib version of this pen. The major retailer here in India williampenn, sells the pen at it's full price, no discount what so ever. What's surprising is that the same pen is available at amazon.in at a 30% discount! Are these fake pens or original pens with minor to major problems? The reviews at amazon are mixed and hence confusing. Some people are just lucky is what I've concluded reading the reviews! What do you guys think?

Another issue is that Williampenn provides the after sale service for these pens. So if I make the purchase on ebay or amazon, will I be able to send the pen to them for service or tweaking even though I didn't buy it from them and avail the benefits of the warranty period (provided the pen is an original of course)? In fact how can one tell for sure that the pen is authentic?

What do you think about the black lacquered GT version? I think it's a classic combination and very elegant than the other versions! But is there a fault with this version? I've heard that the Waterman hemisphere black lacquered version was easily prone to scratches. Even when delicately used. Also it's heard that the minor scratches were easily notable on this particular finish!! Is this the same case with the Expert 3? I wish it wasn't!

Please let me know. Thank you!!!

Pete :")

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alwayspete

• Left FPN

• Slpederson

• Caeruleum

I have never seen a faked Waterman.

Those sold on Amazon should be of Waterman manufacture. I very much doubt they or sellers thereon would risk otherwise. You have their option to return it if you feel uneasy with the product.

If the pen is described as new, unused, but then has a problem in use you should be able to return it to the seller, be it ebay or Amazon. Ebay is the sticky one because it depends on who sold it to you. If it was a private seller then you may have problems. With ebay always ensure you pay by Paypal. I very much doubt both offer repair or tweaking service. Amazon, as stated above, offer a full return refund service.

Waterman.com do not offer a tweaking or modification service. They will though exchange any part found to have a manufacturing fault. They also offer their FREE nib change service. If the pen is new and you decide the nib is not of the size you like or is faulty they will change it. Be aware you have to send the pen to them, insured, and at your cost. They cover the return cost.

I suspect there will be varying views on any pens surface finish. If you look after the pen and protect it when not in use it will always look good. Leave it to roll around then any surface is open to damage.

The series 2 and 3 have stainless steel nibs so non of that corrosion there.

For their price, a very nice pen.

I have never seen a faked Waterman.

Those sold on Amazon should be of Waterman manufacture. I very much doubt they or sellers thereon would risk otherwise. You have their option to return it if you feel uneasy with the product.

If the pen is described as new, unused, but then has a problem in use you should be able to return it to the seller, be it ebay or Amazon. Ebay is the sticky one because it depends on who sold it to you. If it was a private seller then you may have problems. With ebay always ensure you pay by Paypal. I very much doubt both offer repair or tweaking service. Amazon, as stated above, offer a full return refund service.

Waterman.com do not offer a tweaking or modification service. They will though exchange any part found to have a manufacturing fault. They also offer their FREE nib change service. If the pen is new and you decide the nib is not of the size you like or is faulty they will change it. Be aware you have to send the pen to them, insured, and at your cost. They cover the return cost.

I suspect there will be varying views on any pens surface finish. If you look after the pen and protect it when not in use it will always look good. Leave it to roll around then any surface is open to damage.

The series 2 and 3 have stainless steel nibs so non of that corrosion there.

For their price, a very nice pen.

Thanks man for replying! Appreciate it.

Well that's good news!!! Okay, since there is zero chance of fakes, the unhappy customers must be due to faulty but still authentic pens? Yes, there's the option to return the pen. But the problem really rises when the pen works fine for 2 or 3 months and then then starts acting funny. Mostly the blame will fall on the user.

Williampenn is the chain retailer for Waterman pens sold in India. They offer repairs & other services. But since I make the purchase on ebay or amazon, will Williampenn accept the pen for service or tweaking so that I can avail the benefits of the warranty period?

On the pens finish durability, some of the feedback provided by these pens users appeared to be very convincing. They said they handled it very delicately and yet it easily got scratched. What's your experience with the deep black lacquered pens? Could you please share a few tips that will help me maintain a deep black lacquered pens finish as it is?

Yes the pen is very attractively priced. No doubts there! :")

Thanks again!!!

Edited by alwayspete

I suspect if William Penn conclude the fault to lie in manufacturing then they would replace the part in question or return the pen to Waterman for you. If the fault were user based then it sounds like they could fix it for you at your cost. I also suspect they would want to see some form of purchase receipt showing it was new when you got it and its age. After all, people are given pens as presents and it may not be easy for them to return the pen to the original supplier. You could email them and ask the question.

I would suggest a sturdy pen pouch to keep it in when not in use. If you have any local craftsperson you may be able to get one made up in a durable material. Leather is OK but if it gets wet/damp and the pen is not removed for a long period, corrosion of metal parts can take place.

PS, I can understand your concern in having a nice pen and keeping it looking nice but my best pens have many scratches and some dents but their nibs are wonderful. I have since stopped worrying too much about their looks otherwise.

I suspect if William Penn conclude the fault to lie in manufacturing then they would replace the part in question or return the pen to Waterman for you. If the fault were user based then it sounds like they could fix it for you at your cost. I also suspect they would want to see some form of purchase receipt showing it was new when you got it and its age. After all, people are given pens as presents and it may not be easy for them to return the pen to the original supplier. You could email them and ask the question.

I would suggest a sturdy pen pouch to keep it in when not in use. If you have any local craftsperson you may be able to get one made up in a durable material. Leather is OK but if it gets wet/damp and the pen is not removed for a long period, corrosion of metal parts can take place.

PS, I can understand your concern in having a nice pen and keeping it looking nice but my best pens have many scratches and some dents but their nibs are wonderful. I have since stopped worrying too much about their looks otherwise.

What are the chances of original but faulty pens being sold on amazon?

Good idea about contacting Williampenn before making the purchase and check that box.

Is there any other material other than leather? It's very humid in India most of the year. Leather might get damp over time because of all the moisture/humidity and cause the trouble you've mentioned! Is it a good idea to keep/store the pen in the case it arrived in order to preserve it?

It would be great to keep them nice looking too right!?! :") So you do have black lacquer pens and they are your favorites! If I may conclude so. I'd really like to preserve them while still using them. I know crazy idea! But every bit of information helps! Thank you Sir!

As much as one being sold anywhere.

Maybe a thick cotton material. I keep some pens in polyethylene boxes as used to supply 3/4" cutters in the engineering trade.

I have bought many Waterman pens from Amazon UK.....the added advantage is they knock off the VAT. Combine that with a weak Sterling post BREXIT and Watermans represent amazing value from the UK.

Pete, you seem worried about the possibility of damage. I used an Expert as my only pen for ten years of work. I never used a pen case. It sat in my pocket or on a desk. I suppose if I inspected closely I would find micro-scratches but otherwise the condition of the barrel is excellent. I regard the Waterman lacquer as quite robust; just remember to throw something else at the wall.

X

As much as one being sold anywhere.

Maybe a thick cotton material. I keep some pens in polyethylene boxes as used to supply 3/4" cutters in the engineering trade.

I guessed you might say that!

Is it a good idea to keep/store the pen in the case it arrived for preservation purposes? The Waterman box must be a quality box for the Expert III, Carene etc. Thanks!

Pete, you seem worried about the possibility of damage. I used an Expert as my only pen for ten years of work. I never used a pen case. It sat in my pocket or on a desk. I suppose if I inspected closely I would find micro-scratches but otherwise the condition of the barrel is excellent. I regard the Waterman lacquer as quite robust; just remember to throw something else at the wall.

There is always a possibility but not too worried. I'd just like to know these things before I get a pen. That's great to know that your pen still remains in excellent condition even after a decade. Congrats! Was the Expert a black lacquer pen? Yes I will throw something else!!! HAHAHA :")

Edited by alwayspete

I have bought many Waterman pens from Amazon UK.....the added advantage is they knock off the VAT. Combine that with a weak Sterling post BREXIT and Watermans represent amazing value from the UK.

Lucky you to get a good pen from Amazon UK at a good price! Are you from the UK? I don't think amazon UK would do me any good. The shipping to India might cost me a bit. What's a Sterling post BREXIT? Thanks to your input! Cheers!

Edited by alwayspete

Pete, if you look here you will find the pen at £62...dispatched from India.

Just did a conversion and its almost 5400 Rs as at williampenn.

I am not sure why you are concerned with buying from them because it's a good price. Some retailers have it at twice that in the UK.

Pete, if you look here you will find the pen at £62...dispatched from India.

Just did a conversion and its almost 5400 Rs as at williampenn.

I am not sure why you are concerned with buying from them because it's a good price. Some retailers have it at twice that in the UK.

Thanks for your efforts and for the info. £62 is around Rs 5300. I can get the pen on amazon.in @ Rs. 3,799. This is also the reason for my list of doubts. :")

Edited by alwayspete

Thanks for your efforts and for the info. £62 is around Rs 5300. I can get the pen on amazon.in @ Rs. 3,799. This is also the reason for my list of doubts. :")

£45...is a no brainer.

£45...is a no brainer.

No brainer means... I should definitely go for it or I should stay clear of them?

Edited by alwayspete

No brainer means... I should definitely go for it or I should stay clear of them?

Go for it.

OK got it,

http://www.amazon.in/Waterman-Expert-Mars-Fountain-Fine/dp/B005NJOLLC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485590038&sr=8-2&keywords=waterman+fountain+pen+expert

which is the same pen as this (the fine nib version)

http://www.waterman.com/en/expert/123-black-fountain-pen-gt-3501170951644.html

Oh! I've been wanting to ask you this. Thanks for reminding me. As you can see the pens pictured in both of your links aren't the exact same! There is one difference. Can you spot it? :")

Oh! I've been wanting to ask you this. Thanks for reminding me. As you can see the pens pictured in both of your links aren't the exact same! There is one difference. Can you spot it? :")

Yes, the caps top plate. Some have it some don't.