• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sleebus

• jar

• redbike

• KingRoach

Yep, it's pretty wet. I'm thinking of going to a less saturated ink to get a bit of shading. Maybe the waterman mysterious blue or Kon-Peki?

Congratulations on your successful restoration project. Very pretty pen, I really like the touchdowns and snorkels.

Waterman Mysterious Blue is one of my favourite inks, I can recommend it highly. And it really is mysterious how the hue changes over a period of about 24 hours. The ink flow is superb (not that you'd need that with your wet pen, though) and I really like the shading.

Congratulations on your successful restoration project. Very pretty pen, I really like the touchdowns and snorkels.

Waterman Mysterious Blue is one of my favourite inks, I can recommend it highly. And it really is mysterious how the hue changes over a period of about 24 hours. The ink flow is superb (not that you'd need that with your wet pen, though) and I really like the shading.

Cool. Price is right too, and I'm headed to Dromgoole's this afternoon so I'll be able to pick some up. I like having something with a bit of shading. The Cosmic Cobalt I'm using is a very pretty color, but it's so saturated that it looks like it was written with a felt tip. No shading whatsoever. Not necessarily bad, but I'd like things to look like they've been written with a fountain pen, heh. The flow out of the pen is great as many have observed, yet it behaves well too. If I stop for a second with the pen on the paper, I don't get any blot or anything. Kinda surprising to me, actually. When I had the pen apart, the nib/section spent about 30 mins hanging in an ultrasonic cleaner with a dot of soap in it. That really cleared it out...no traces of ink at all when drying the nib on a paper towel. I'm figuring that's why it flows so well.

Well, Sheaffer certainly made great nibs. I have a few great writers from them, particularly a Snorkel from 1952 and an Imperial IV.

How do you like the Mysterious Blue? If it turns out too dark and lacks shading, you might want to adjust the tines of the nib a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I've added three more vintage pens since this post heh. I've been trying to find a similar good deal on eBay, but Sheaffers have been going for nuts prices lately...unrestored going for $50, which is way high IMHO. I'm watching a lot of pens, but once they head past $15 or $20 for a halfway decent one, I move on to the next. Oh well, i'm in no hurry.