The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ink Review: Diamine Saddle Brown

diamine saddle brown ink diamine saddle brown diamine brown ink saddle brown ink good brown ink brown inks medium brown ink

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 19:12

This is still quite a rich brown, not as dark and rich as Chocolate Brown, but still a really nice shade, with a hint of red. More of a milk chocolate than a dark chocolate. Saddle Brown is a good name for it, as I remember having a saddle that was this colour a long time ago.

I saw some shading because it’s a less saturated ink than Chocolate Brown. It’s drier than Chocolate Brown ink and I noticed that it dried quickly on my thick, coated Xerox paper as well as the other papers I tested it on. I experienced no problems at all while I was writing with it. It had a smooth flow with a lubricated line. II saw no skips or hard starts, and it didn't dry out on the nib while I was doing swab tests.

For me it was a well-behaved ink, as well as being a nice colour. It only exhibited show through on Field Notes paper, but so do most inks.

It isn't sold as water resistant, but there was a little water resistance.

• This isn't sold as a waterproof ink, but shows a little water resistance.
  • Bearing in mind the review form paper I use is thick with a shiny surface at 100gsm, and I used Lamy F,M and B nibs, this ink took 10-12 secs secs to dry using the M nib.
  • No smear after dry.
  • It exhibited good flow and I found it smooth to write with. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.
  • It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles
  • Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
  • It's a reasonable price.

fpn_1485371324__diamine_saddle_brown.jpefpn_1485371361__diamine_saddle_brown_000fpn_1485371392__diamine_saddle_brown_000fpn_1485371423__diamine_saddle_brown_000fpn_1485371451__diamine_saddle_brown_000

Chroma Test Strip

fpn_1485371503__diamine_saddle_brown.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 19:48

Hmm, it seems to look nicer on whiter papers.

#3 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 21:09

It's quite enjoyable brown ink.

#4 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 12,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 21:39

Nice one. I don't know if Diamine was thinking of this, but it does resemble quite nicely my saddle by Brooks.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#5 DriftingSands

DriftingSands

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 22:08

An apt name. It really does mimic the worn, burnished warmth of a well loved and used saddle.

#6 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,731 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 18:30

This color didn't move me, but the performance sure did. Chrissy, thank you for the review!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#7 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:27

This color didn't move me, but the performance sure did. Chrissy, thank you for the review!

You're welcome.   :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diamine saddle brown ink, diamine saddle brown, diamine brown ink, saddle brown ink, good brown ink, brown inks, medium brown ink

Sponsored Content

|