The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Group Buys: How Do They Work?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lordofnumpties

lordofnumpties

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:04

I was dying to get my hands on some Diamine Onyx, Diamine Registrar's ink, and Noodler's Bulletproof Black/Bad Black Moccasin. And I saw the group buy thread that's going on right now. As a newbie, I have a few questions:

1. How does the group by even work? We're all spread out across this huge country. How do we coordinate payment and make sure everyone gets what they need?

2. How are you gonna stop pilferage during shipping? If we send it through India Post, they'll surely nick our stuff. If we pick FedEx etc, it's gonna be pricey.

3. Has anyone tried buying from Amazon (amazon.com, amazon.de, or amazon.fr)?

4. I'm sure some of us travel abroad every now and then. If a few of us could get together, probably we could pay this person to get us ink without paying any duties. Has this been tried?

I'm sorry but I'm new to the party and fairly clueless. I'd be grateful if someone could get me all caught up.

Edited by lordofnumpties, 25 January 2017 - 12:04.

Sponsored Content

#2 matteob

matteob

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 14:16

Hi what happens is one of you would have to negotiate the price for a certain number of items from diamene for a group buy here. They may say for instance that they will give you so and so discount from a bottle of ink if 100 units are sold. You collect the names, pass them onto the manufacturer and supplier and they will contact, invoice and send out each item seperately. This is what has happened with the Ranga Pen group buy with shipping going out all over the world. Vaibhav (Mahindratta (sic) ) The Indian mod here may be able to give you more information as hr organizes the Ranga group buys on a regular basis. Noodlers inks are hard to get as they are a tiny one man business and the guy is stretched to capacity. Diamine may be interested.

If you want to sort something then gather interest in the group buy area!

#3 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Donor Pen

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:39

Hi

I started Group Buys with sole motive to get discounted pens for myself and also for the others....

So in past, I have done approximately around about 15 to 16 odd group buys for everything that is made in India and sometimes for KWZ Inks from abroad to be shipped to India...

Now how the group buys work here is that there is a certain quantity that I expect to be ordered and thus the price is negotiated with Seller... generally the Prices are less by 20 to 35% less in some cases...

All you have to do select the pen out of the choices given and you will receive an email from the seller confirming about your choices and once you reconfirm, you will have to make payment and then wait for at least 4-5 weeks before the pen get delivered at your doorstep...

Currently, there is a group buy for Ranga Model 5 which is organized here http://www.fountainp...group-buy-2017/

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

wordpress blog | instagram | twitter

#4 lordofnumpties

lordofnumpties

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 13:13

Thanks. I am primarily interested in purchases from manufacturers outside of India, typically inks like Diamine, Noodler's or J Herbin.

How do you guys handle shipping(domestic and international)? India Post has been quite a nuisance in the past, they open and nick anything of value from my mail. 

#5 matteob

matteob

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 13:18

I think you would have to get the supplier to use a repurable carrier like DHL or UPS. Noodlers probably won't be interested as Nathan Tardif is at capacity and he is a one man band. Diamine might be interested: fine ink!

Sponsored Content

|