Twsbi Best Customer Service Of All Fountain Pen Manufacturers

bjcmatthews

I am once more highly impressed with the prompt communication and assistance when I have had problems with a TWSBI. I remember back in the days of yore, (now we are in the days of your=you're *flinch*), hunched down over a paraffin lamp, watching the internet for updates for a new pen known as Twizby by some and Tee Double-U, Ess, Bee, Eye by others.

I was delighted when the concept became a reality, and instead of stopping there, like so many designers that flog the same design in new materials endlessly (Lamy Safari, AL-star are virtually the same pen, the Lx are too, though well overpriced, and the various Lamy 2000s are the same darn pens), continued to create excellent writing instruments with different filling systems for the newbie and fountain pen connoisseur alike.

I have had the best customer service with TWSBI. I have had appalling customer service from Lamy, unpleasant customer service with Pilot, and though I still own numerous pens by both companies, it proves that one doesn't get better service for a higher price tag.

Recently the cap on my TWSBI Vac 700 first generation broke- the upper portion actually snapped off of the metal ring that encircles the threads of the cap. I have never abused my pens, and had not sat on the pen- I know that as I have yet to sit on them, deliberately or indeliberately, and it was housed in a Nock Co. pen case with much flimsier pens and mechanical pencils that showed no signs of being damaged, and which would have been snapped in two had I sat on the case with enough force to break the Vac. I don't know what happened to it. I suspected I would not be believed when I wrote to TWSBI customer service to tell them that it had simply broken. I wasn't too concerned, for in the past when I had accidentally broken components of the other TWSBI pens i own when i was meddling with customising them, they replaced them for the cost of the postage and handling ONLY.

I was delighted to receive a reply within 6 hours of sending it, and for TWSBI to state that if I would pay postage, they would send me a new cap for my pen. When I had requested a similar thing of Lamy when I damaged a component of a cheap Lamy fountain pen they told me that they simply did not sell components of the pens, and that if I wanted to replace a cap I would need to buy a new pen.

Being a small company, I want to ensure that there excellent commitment to their customers is not neglected. Not only are their pens some of the finest writing instruments in the world, aesthetically and value for money, their customer service is the very best of any other fountain pen company that manufactures pens. (The big guns, like Pelikan, Lamy, etc. I have also been very impressed with the fountain pen makers such as Shawn Newton, Brian Edison etc.)

Thanks a lot guys :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bjcmatthews

• ele

• PaganArcher

• Manalto

Top Posters In This Topic

That's good to hear. I recently gave a TWSBI as a gift to someone who is extremely thorough in his research before making even minor purchases, so I'm glad to know that he won't be ignored should he have occasion to communicate with the company.

Is there such a thing as plastic fatigue? Could prolonged stress at a certain point eventually result in failure? Would that help to explain the break in your Vac 700? Hearing about TWSBI's woes with plastic makes me marvel all the more about vintage pens that are 60-80 years old and continue to hold up beautifully.

James

They need it--the quality of their pens is simply not reliable on account of poorly engineered plastics.

That said, I have, in 6 years or so, only had one TWSBI section crack and the piston rubber deform on one of the originals. Otherwise they have tolerated no less abuse than any of my other fountain pens. I'm still quite enamoured with the brand.

They need it--the quality of their pens is simply not reliable on account of poorly engineered plastics.

Excluding the very few instances of my barbarian like strength, I've never had any problems with any of my 10 TWSBI pens. In all honesty, I've had more issues with my Lamy and Platinum models, and rather lackluster after sales aid from the latter two brands.

Of course, a few dissenting opinions will not break the stigma that surrounds TWSBI, so to each their own.

The stigma is at least somewhat justified. Their pens are susceptible to cracking under conditions which pens from other manufacturers aren't. Do the majority of them not crack at all? Probably. But when at least--and this is a guess--20% of the pens you sell end up having the issue down the road, there is a serious problem. Their customer service is an attempt to maintain their reputation without truly fixing the problems with their pens.

For the record, both the Diamond and Vac minis I've had cracked. The Vac mini developed a number of severe cracks after only a few months of use.

Edited by ele

They've had rather more practice than most companies when it comes to refining and perfecting their excellent customers service.

I wish I could say that's a compliment, but it really shouldn't be like that. Their philosophy focuses more on covering up the symptoms rather than treating the root cause.

Edited by Bluey

I too received excellent customer service. I believe I just had to pay postage for a new... feeder tube? Black plastic tube that holds the feed and screws into the body.

I noticed the new tube was a different kind of plastic that seems tougher. It is kind of matte coloured, almost fibrous looking, I want to say like tough milk crate plastic, as opposed to the original shiny brittle looking plastic.

Feels like an improvement, so my hat's off to Twsbi.