Trying To Understand Pilot Capless/vanishing Point Pens

Arkamas

I've been looking at Pilot's Vanishing Point-style pens and as far as I understand there are the Vanishing Point and the Capless Decimo. From what I'm seeing on Amazon there are three different versions of this style, given vast price differences: The Vanishing Point, the Capless Decimo, and one called the Capless for far cheaper but looks just like the Vanishing point. Of course Amazon isn't reliable when it comes to exact information on products. Can anyone expound on exactly what models exist and what their differences are?

Edited by Arkamas
...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arkamas

• MrsHobie

• OmegaMountain

• Kolyd

All the same pen, I believe. It's called different things in different countries. "Capless" being the Japanese name and the prices are lower because it's being sold direct from Japan probably. Some variants of the pen are limited edition/production and have a correspondingly higher price.

Edited by OmegaMountain

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

I think I just figured it out. The dramatically cheaper version of the Vanishing point I saw was simply because the nib material is steel rather than gold or rhodium.

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

So from what I heard the "Alloy" version is the steel nibbed VPs, while the Decimo is the slim 14K nibbed VP and then the VP/Capless is the normal 14K one.

I've seen Alloy editions online, mainly on Amazon. Hope this helps :)

There's actually four variants.

1. Capless / Vanishing Point with a gold nib, push button operation

2. Capless / Vanishing Point with an alloy nib, push button operation

3. Decimo, thinner Vanishing Point, different clip, gold nib, push button operation

4. Fermo, heavier Vanishing Point, different clip, gold nib, twist action operation

In general the order of price from most to least is: Fermo, Decimo, Vanishing Point (gold nib), Vanishing Point (alloy nib).

Edit: special editions or finishes such as wood or raden will cost a lot more than the base model.

3. Decimo, thinner Vanishing Point, different clip, gold nib, push button operation

4. Fermo, heavier Vanishing Point, different clip, gold nib, twist action operation

In general the order of price from most to least is: Fermo, Decimo, Vanishing Point (gold nib), Vanishing Point (alloy nib).

Edit: special editions or finishes such as wood or raden will cost a lot more than the base model.

yes, that's it :)

here is a picture taken by my husband ...

Decimo/Capless/Fermo

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/233715201701022161.jpg

One pen roll, two pen rolls, three pen rolls ... So many pen rolls ! Do you want one ?

my tiny shop is open and you can have a closer look on my website to see my cotton (and sometimes silk) OOAK penrolls.

I recommend you try a VP (I don't have experience with a Decimo). The pen is thick and heavy, and the clip will sit adjacent to your index finger. For many, this isn't a problem, and the convenience of this fountain pen is outstanding. For me, I don't care to use my VP for long writing sessions. Great for short notes and office work, but it's not a journalling pen for me because of the clip position.

Buzz

Huh - learn something every day. I was always of the impression they were the same just different marketing names for different regions. Good to know.

Also, don't listen to me, apparently! I need to be more thorough in my reading.

Edited by OmegaMountain

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

For what it's worth, the thinner Capless Decimo is more comfortable for me to hold than the chubbier regular Vanishing Point. Others have made the same comment in previous threads where this came up, but of course it's a matter of individual taste. I've never tried the Fermo.

The VPs that you can get from Japan with the "alloy" nibs have the same type of body as the gold nibbed ones; you can buy a gold nibbed replacement nib unit as an upgrade.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Huh - learn something every day. I was always of the impression they were the same just different marketing names for different regions. Good to know.

Also, don't listen to me, apparently! I need to be more thorough in my reading.

For your consideration

Vanishing Point History by Carmen Rivera

Introduction

http://carmenriverapens.com/vanishing_point.htm

History

http://carmenriverapens.com/Vanishing_Point_images/index.htm

Fred

Also, if you are located in the US, I would recommend that you not buy from some Amazon retailer, even if you get a "good" price. Go and look at some vendors who specalise on selling fountain pens, like www.nibs.com, www.gouletpens.com, Pen Chalet, Anderson Pens, and a few others who are all reputable vendors who are very well regarded in the fountain pen community.

Buying from some fly-by-night Amazon retailer or from some retailer who is totally unfamiliar with pens can lead to problems. This is just my opinion, of course.

For what it's worth, the thinner Capless Decimo is more comfortable for me to hold than the chubbier regular Vanishing Point. Others have made the same comment in previous threads where this came up, but of course it's a matter of individual taste.

The Decimo is 30% lighter than the Vanishing Point. I prefer the Decimo over the Vanishing Point and I have large hands.

Perfect! That clears everything up. I've had an interest in this line and now that I know of slightly more cost-effective versions it just made my FP wishlist.

Edited by Arkamas

The Decimo is 30% lighter than the Vanishing Point. I prefer the Decimo over the Vanishing Point and I have large hands.

The Fermo is the heaviest (far too heavy for me) ... But I can't say how much, and I don't know in which penroll it's stored to check :unsure:

One pen roll, two pen rolls, three pen rolls ... So many pen rolls ! Do you want one ?

my tiny shop is open and you can have a closer look on my website to see my cotton (and sometimes silk) OOAK penrolls.

Another question: I know there are separate nib units but are there nibs available by themselves anywhere by any chance? Can the nib unit even be disassembled in detail?

Edited by Arkamas

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/66247920170124134416.jpg

The pen can easily disassembled this way (I use a converter, I did not put it off ;) )

Another question: I know there are separate nib units but are there nibs available by themselves anywhere by any chance? Can the nib unit even be disassembled in detail?

Nib units are available separately - Roughly $80 which includes a Con50 converter - everything from EF all the way to Stub, Gold, Black, and Rhodium plated.

You don't want to disassemble a vanishing point nib unit. Never a real reason to do so. I've been using them for closer to two decades without taking one apart.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Speaking of not putting it off, I just snagged a brand new black/gold VP for about $80 on Amazon. One of those now-or-never moments. I suppose I'll just have to put out the extra 80 then if I ever go for a black nib for it. :happycloud9: