Dani-Trio Genkai Fp- What Are Your Opinions About This Pen?

Wolverine1

I tried out a Dani-Trio Genkai that a friend owns earlier today. It is a big pen with a wonderful nib, but, I used it for a few minutes only. My friend says that he wants to sell the pen. So, if you own a genkai pen or have used a Genkai, please let me know what your opinion about the Genkai is.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolverine1

• jar

• zaddick

• abstract49

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are great, if you are not bothered by the massive size. For some that can limit how and when they are used and possibly reduce the utility of the pen.

I really like the large #8 Bock nibs Danitrio uses. They have a good spring that can either act as a bit of a cushion or allow for some line variation when called upon. Not vintage flex, but very pleasant. I also like the design on the nib and find it pleasing to my eye. The feed is ebonite (or it should be) so ink flow is good and the feed can be heat set if needed.

You did not say the finish on the pen. I find the urushi work to be excellent, on par with Nakaya and sometimes better. If the pen is maki-e then you will have to judge if the art is appealing to your eye. If it is one of the old raw ebonite pens it will turn olive brown eventually, but I personally do not find the change to be unattractive. Plus you get the ebonite smell which some find pleasant.

Even though the pen is large, it is not heavy as it is an ebonite base. Workmanship is top notch and the pen has a good fit an finish. The fact it is a Japanese eye dropper is a bit of a novelty. The system is better than a plain eye dropper, but not as fancy as that on say a Namiki urushi #50. They are easy to clean and hold a ton of ink.

Potential downsides include the section being too thick for some, you can't carry it in a shirt pocket, and it is too big for most pen cases.

I also have the Sho-Genkai and Mikado pens that are smaller but use the same nib. They may be a better fit for some folks due to shorter length or shape.

If you don't want the pen, you can feel free to refer your friend to me as I am always on the look out for a well priced large Danitrio.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks Zaddick for your thoughts about the Genkai. I tried writing with it, and the nib was really very smooth ( it was tuned up, prior to be bought from John Mottishaw. My friend is my Doctor at the hospital, plus he is a former All-American Offensive Lineman who played for the late Coach Schembechler at Michigan. As such he is a very large person. But, it seems he finds the Genkai too big, he rather likes my MB 149 pens and my Pelikan M1000 pens. I however, despite being a lot smaller than him, (I am 5'7" and 180lbs, compared to Chris who is 6'6" and weighs 300lbs), and having much smaller hands, I was surprised at how comfortable the Genkai felt, despite its size.

I left, still thinking whether it would make sense to trade my MB or Pelikan pens. I guess I will think about, while Chris does his thinking and we will meet again next Saturday.

Thank you Zaddick and Jar.

Thanks Zaddick for your thoughts about the Genkai. I tried writing with it, and the nib was really very smooth ( it was tuned up, prior to be bought from John Mottishaw. My friend is my Doctor at the hospital, plus he is a former All-American Offensive Lineman who played for the late Coach Schembechler at Michigan. As such he is a very large person. But, it seems he finds the Genkai too big, he rather likes my MB 149 pens and my Pelikan M1000 pens. I however, despite being a lot smaller than him, (I am 5'7" and 180lbs, compared to Chris who is 6'6" and weighs 300lbs), and having much smaller hands, I was surprised at how comfortable the Genkai felt, despite its size.

I left, still thinking whether it would make sense to trade my MB or Pelikan pens. I guess I will think about, while Chris does his thinking and we will meet again next Saturday.

Thank you Zaddick and Jar.

If it were one of the cartridge/converter Danis I would not hesitate making a swap for one of my Montblancs or Pelikans. That would not even cause a hesitation.

My Website

It is the Genkai with the Tamenuri (sp.) finish, it is red with amber like of shading near the end of the cap and the barrel.

From a value perspective you would have the better side in such a trade by about double.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!