The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Did I Just Buy?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sheaffer270

Sheaffer270

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2017 - 21:41

I just won this pen on ebay a few days ago and was wondering if you all could tell me anything about it, seeing as its my first Esterbrook and I have no knowledge of them whatsoever. I only paid $15 for it, so hopefully I got a good deal. I'll quote the seller's description and include the only pics I have. Any info is appreciated!

"Esterbrook Prototype Limited Production  Fountain Pen. This stunning new pen has never been released to the public . Made from a unique vintage inspired Resin in Vintage

Retro Orange. Features a German Iridium Steel gold plated Hooded Nib and a uses a piston filling system . Esterbrook box included .Very Limited amount of these pens available"

Attached Images

• esterbrook1.JPG
  • esterbrook2.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2017 - 23:11

I was debating buying that one.  It's one of the "new" Esterbrooks.  They are nothing even close to the old ones.  I have no idea how that one will write, or the quality.  To me, it looks like an old Venus cartridge fill pen.

So, while you may like the pen, you are NOT getting an Esterbrook in the classic sense.  You really want to get something like an Esterbrook J with the Re-New nib.  That will start you on the path to ruin, and love of a true classic working man's pen.

#3 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2017 - 00:56

Looks like a hooded nib pen.  The best thing about the old Esterbrooks was the nib choice.  Except for Safari pump dillers and M2s I thought the pens felt cheap, which they were, and that made them so universally available.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,700 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:57

I hope you like the box. If they are still using the original boxes then you will really like the box. Everyone knows how much I liked the box on mine.

Do post a picture of the box when you get it.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#5 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:18

I hope you like the box. If they are still using the original boxes then you will really like the box. Everyone knows how much I liked the box on mine.

Tell us, how do you feel about the box? :D

Nice color orange.

James

#6 Sheaffer270

Sheaffer270

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2017 - 19:32

Haha, I'll be sure to include pics when it comes in. Might even do a small review on it (the pen too, not just the box) depending on how much time I have.  

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:30

A couple of summers ago I actually checked out the "new" Esterbrooks at their table at DCSS.  The one I picked up was apparently a metal bodied pen (likely brass), because it was fairly heavy for its size -- too heavy for me.

So, Farmboy -- don't sugar coat it!  Tell us how you *really* feel about the box....  B) 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,700 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:34

When it comes to the box sugar doesn't cut it and I use saccharine.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#9 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:14

It is fun to return after years and see some familiar names.   Hello FarmBoy!

Sponsored Content

|