• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• writepen

• jmccarty3

• JonSzanto

It is really unconscionable. I am thinking of ditching DC altogether and heading to San Francisco instead. They put on a great show and at least I know the dates.

It is really unconscionable. I am thinking of ditching DC altogether and heading to San Francisco instead. They put on a great show and at least I know the dates.

I like your plan...but I'm slightly biased!

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I wish I had that option. But DC is drivable from Pittsburgh. Frisco is drivable ONLY if I had the time (or agreed to sit in a vehicle with my ex-boyfriend from college behind the wheel :o -- but I'd be completely dead by then and not JUST because of having to take breaks every 1-1/2 to 2 hours because of my back: he once drove from Long Island to LA in 2-1/2 days but by not really stopping except to change drivers and get gas.... :wacko:). Or if I flew (which has its own sets of issues in addition to the cost of airfare...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

When will the San Francisco penshow be?

August 25, 26, and 27 2017 and August 24, 25, and 26 2018.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Just a little update, called Bob today and no dates or venue booked to date, he did say it's looking like it could be another 2 weeks before anything is confirmed and that alternative venue's are being considered.

Just a little update, called Bob today and no dates or venue booked to date, he did say it's looking like it could be another 2 weeks before anything is confirmed and that alternative venue's are being considered.

Let him know SF has dates and it would be a shame to overlap.

That doesn't sound good.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

How could the largest pen show in the US not have arrangements made and confirmed a year in advance? This doesn't make sense to me.

Best of luck to Bob getting a venue. My wife is a weddng photographer and we know first hand that in the Washington, DC area you need to book up to 10-12 months out to be sure you get the venue, vendors, etc. that you want. Also so guests can make travel arrangements.

Less than six months is really, really pushing it. Especially for a multi day event taking up so much space.

I live just outside DC, and I'm getting annoyed as I'm trying to plan my vacation around the show.

Geez. The two BIG shows in the US and each falling on their face.

• DC not booking the venue early enough to give the vendors and attendees enough time to book travel. I recall this same flurry of posts last year. How are attendees and vendors supposed to plan and book travel when they don't have dates?
  • LA 2016, was a vendor's disaster. Half the ballroom was not available on the first day (for whatever reason). So there were no tables for those vendors that came down late. Where and how were they supposed to sell ??? Thankfully 2017 was not a repeat of 2016.
Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Forgive me if this comes across as being too forward, my day job is as a business executive and when I see things like this happening, my first instinct is to jump in and make it happen.

Couldn't the logistics of this event be handled by another entity if they are continuously being mishandled like this? What's stopping someone else from organizing the 2018 DC pen show?

Bob owns it. You could try to organize a new one, but you'd be competing with the original show, which is I think about the biggest pen show on the planet - certainly in the USA.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Bob owns it. You could try to organize a new one, but you'd be competing with the original show, which is I think about the biggest pen show on the planet.

Exactly the information I was lacking. Thank you for your help, Ron.

Maybe there are other avenues then...I would love to meet Bob. I will be sure to make it to the DC show. If anyone could arrange a meet up, I would be most grateful!

Bob owns it.

It might not be worth owning if it doesn't happen because there is no venue available at the last minute, or if vendors and attendees decide that it's not worth it to tolerate the uncertainty. The competition just up the road in Baltimore looks to be growing in size and influence. If I were the DC show owner, I wouldn't sit there assuming that my show is always going to be the biggest.

I love the DC show, and for family reasons it couldn't be in a more convenient location for me. But I need to make plans, and so do a lot of others. There needs to be an adult in charge here.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.