Dc Pen Show Dates

RonLyke

I see three groups of people involved in pen shows.

A: Dealers and Vendors. Sort of a A and A'. Vendors (A') I consider part time hobbyist types that may set up at a few shows but may not travel long distances to shows. Dealers I consider full time players that derive a significant portion of their income from the business.

B: Trader/All Access Pass holders. Typically serious collectors and users. They most likely travel to several shows a year, stay at the hotel, buy an all access pass and are serious about pens/inks/etc. A person in the B group may at times be an A' if conditions allow.

C: The local people that can go to the show for a day and don't necessarily travel far.

Observations from the sidelines:

A and B are relatively small groups of people at most shows relative to group C.

Groups A and B are a bigger component of the show finances than is the much larger in numbers group C.

Certainly without all three groups a show fails.

If there are rules stating who can put on a show where and when I missed them in the Pen Show Manual.

The Chicago Show has new Management/Organizers and is receiving great reviews. It would seem that it is now time for a management change for the DC Show. But...it is unlikely that the current Organizer will give-up control. Things will stay the same, UNLESS the people in REAL control--Sponsors, Vendors, and the buying public, put an end to the nonsense, by insisting that a new leader or team be appointed.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• writepen

• jmccarty3

• JonSzanto

The DC show organizer is the DC show owner. It's the biggest show in the country, and considered by vendors to be a "must attend" event. I can't imagine that many people who go and have a good spot, and who appreciate the help that he's given over the years are willing to offend the owner of the show. Bob has been very helpful to me as a vendor, and very good to the PCA as well. Frustrated though I may be at the delay, I can wait, and decide whether I can go or not.

I simply can not imagine what it must be like to be THE guy responsible for arranging it all, and dealing with a couple hundred people (vendors) some nice and some not so nice, most of whom want you do things their way, and the public who doesn't always want to co-operate. We're not privy to issues with the hotel, or costs, or increase in costs, or new restrictions that may be placed on the event. All that we know is that we want our show, and want to know when it will be. I think that Bob is aware of that.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I second Ron's sentiments. I exhibited for the first time last year, I was a late registrant, and Bob made me a table out of a space that was normally unused. It is a big undertaking, and there are issues that arise most people would not think about. For example, electricity had to be supplied to a vendor's medical equipment, and working that out with the hotel was not easy and was done at great expense. In New York City, we no longer have a show, and it owes to a multitude of challenges that made the show difficult for vendors.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

All that we know is that we want our show, and want to know when it will be. I think that Bob is aware of that.

Virtually all the angst and negativity at this point is because of one thing: silence. If Bob simply released a statement regarding the status of the show, on the show site and through friends that he would ask to disseminate the information, it might help the situation. To the many people who *don't* know him and haven't worked with him, the lack of response is... troubling. It's a pretty simple thing to fix, compared to the actual issues at hand.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

The Chicago Show has new Management/Organizers and is receiving great reviews. It would seem that it is now time for a management change for the DC Show. But...it is unlikely that the current Organizer will give-up control. Things will stay the same, UNLESS the people in REAL control--Sponsors, Vendors, and the buying public, put an end to the nonsense, by insisting that a new leader or team be appointed.

Note that the original Chicago show promoter is still involved. Also note that the new show organizers are not unknowns to the Dealer and Vendor community. A key point I might add.

Would you attend a show started up by an FPN handle? Would you attend a show started up by a know dealer/vendor/collector?

Not as simple as it sounds I'm sure. I don't see a lot of posts from people that actually run shows on FPN or any other board for that matter. I wonder why.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Virtually all the angst and negativity at this point is because of one thing: silence. If Bob simply released a statement regarding the status of the show, on the show site and through friends that he would ask to disseminate the information, it might help the situation. To the many people who *don't* know him and haven't worked with him, the lack of response is... troubling. It's a pretty simple thing to fix, compared to the actual issues at hand.

I recall the SF Show went through something similar as did the Chicago show and several other shows that are no more.

It is really to bad the Internet can't organize shows for us...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I recall the SF Show went through something similar as did the Chicago show and several other shows that are no more.

It is really to bad the Internet can't organize shows for us...

My point is still valid. On a basic communication level, much of this could have been avoided quite easily. People, by and large, are good natured and forgiving. All they ask is to be informed and the cost would be zero.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

+1

Lets try to be positive about pen shows in general and acknowledge that they are mostly run by amateurs with other jobs.

What if:

A consortium were in negotiations with the current show promoter to take over said show and there is a gag order in place until arrangements are complete?

FB

Lets try to be positive about pen shows in general and acknowledge that they are mostly run by amateurs with other jobs.

Well, for one, I am! In what's coming up, I see great things going down for Roger W and the Chicago show. I have friends who are active in the promotion, and there is a lot of activity on social media, and they have a lot of elements in play, from good seminars and current products for the new generation to a very swell-looking auction with plenty of goods for the collectors and vintage crowd. Seems like it is going to be another good year under the new mgt. Atlanta show is in the books and reports are that it was a good time. Of course, you and your cohorts are looking to have a fine show in SF, with enough buzz that I think I better lock in my room now.

This thread is about one show, a show that still is displaying information for the 2016 version on it's website and Facebook page. I'm just being objective about the realities of pulling this stuff off and the responsibility I happen to see that falls to those who choose to run a show. No ill will wished at all.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Just a note.

I have no idea what organization or group of people is behind the DC show, but here are my thoughts about similar types of events that I have had experience with.

In MANY organizations/clubs, there comes a time when a project/event should be handed off to the next generation of people.

One reason is the people that did event X for the past Y years are just burnt out and tired.

I've seen this in several of the clubs that I have been a member of. And I was one of those burnt out people.

There is a LOT of work to pull of some of these events.

And when you are personally on the hook for $$$$ and have to advance the hotel/restaurant deposit $$$$, it is financially stressful. Especially if the amount is LARGE $$,$$$. Will you get your money back...ever? Or how many YEARS till the event starts to make a profit, so it can pay you back for the losses of the first few years.

The standard business model that I learned is, a startup business will loose money for the first 3-5 years, then will spend the next 3-5 years repaying the owner for the losses of the first 3-5 years. So the business does not really make a real profit until 6-10 years out. Some are faster, some never make it and fail.

Been there, done that, but I am glad to have passed the events on.

In MANY organizations you have the slackers. Those that want to benefit from the project/event, but do not want to do any of the work. They come up with any excuse to not to help. I think they call people like that ... parasites. They let the other people do all the work, and they enjoy the benefits. The infamous 80/20 rule is at work here. 20% of the people do 80% of the work. But in many case it is more like 20% of the people do 100% of the work.

When no one is willing to step up and take over or help, what happens, the event starts to die. The burnt out people don't have the energy to keep doing it at the level they did. So without help, the event goes downhill. You cannot say that person X has been doing it for the past 10 years, so he is the best person to do it again. What if he is burnt out? Then year 11 is a flop, because no one stepped in to help him. And of course the slackers are the ones complaining that it failed.

So if any of you are members of clubs or organizations that runs an event, don't be part of the lazy/slacker 80%, help the overworked 20%. Or you have no basis to complain, if an event does not go well or fails.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Just a note.

I have no idea what organization or group of people is behind the DC show, but here are my thoughts about similar types of events that I have had experience with.

In MANY organizations/clubs, there comes a time when a project/event should be handed off to the next generation of people.

One reason is the people that did event X for the past Y years are just burnt out and tired.

I've seen this in several of the clubs that I have been a member of. And I was one of those burnt out people.

There is a LOT of work to pull of some of these events.

And when you are personally on the hook for $Z and have to advance the hotel/restaurant deposit $W, it is financially stressful. Especially if the amount is LARGE. Will you get your money back...ever? Or how many YEARS till the event starts to make a profit, so it can pay you back for the losses of the first few years.

The standard business model that I learned is, a startup business will loose money for the first 3-5 years, then will spend the next 3-5 years repaying the owner for the losses of the first 3-5 years. So the business does not really make a real profit until 6-10 years out. Some are faster, some never make it and fail.

Been there, done that, but I am glad to have passed the events on.

In MANY organizations you have the slackers. Those that want to benefit from the project/event, but do not want to do any of the work. They come up with any excuse to not to help. I think they call people like that ... parasites. They let the other people do all the work, and they enjoy the benefits. The infamous 80/20 rule is at work here. 20% of the people do 80% of the work. But in many case it is more like 20% of the people do 100% of the work.

When no one is willing to step up and take over or help, what happens, the event starts to die. The burnt out people don't have the energy to keep doing it at the level they did. So without help, the event goes downhill. You cannot say that person X has been doing it for the past 10 years, so he is the best person to do it again. What if he is burnt out? Then year 11 is a flop, because no one stepped in to help him. And of course the slackers are the ones complaining that it failed.

So if any of you are members of clubs or organizations that runs an event, don't be part of the lazy/slacker 80%, help the overworked 20%. Or you have no basis to complain, if an event does not go well or fails.

Some shows are club shows - DC ain't one of them.

Roger W.

This thread is about one show, a show that still is displaying information for the 2016 version on it's website and Facebook page. I'm just being objective about the realities of pulling this stuff off and the responsibility I happen to see that falls to those who choose to run a show. No ill will wished at all.

There is a simple solution to this problem for Group A and Group B---book another show. Group C, unless they want to switch to Group A or B don't really have that option.

Interestingly there is not a crowd of dealers and vendors complaining. When it comes to a show, the dealers and vendors are the ones that pay the bills and if they don't, there isn't a show.

It is noted that while you need A and B to spell FarmBoy , C is completely unnecessary. Just a data point.

Honestly, I hope it all works out. I find so much of this particular storyline fascinating but somewhat sad as well. Nonetheless, I have nothing else left to offer, other than best wishes that the show goes on, and looking forward to the next show I attend. I like to support my show organizers.

~ Benjamin Franklin

It is noted that while you need A and B to spell FarmBoy , C is completely unnecessary. Just a data point.

Honestly, I hope it all works out. I find so much of this particular storyline fascinating but somewhat sad as well. Nonetheless, I have nothing else left to offer, other than best wishes that the show goes on, and looking forward to the next show I attend. I like to support my show organizers.

This year I'm bringing teflon just so you know...

This year I'm bringing teflon just so you know...

Xlnt. I'll buy you a drink.

http://cleanfit.com/images/RotationIllus.gif

~ Benjamin Franklin

What surprises me is that none of the vendors or other people involved with the show have come here or anywhere else on the interwebs to give some sort of input on what's going on. Even if it's a "stay tuned for info". Web promotion is pretty much going to be the way events as large as D.C. are marketed to the masses - even though most pen people already know about it. I was planning on trying to make the show, but now the only remaining driveable show will be Columbus so I guess I will be waiting until November for my first show. Ah well - I will consol myself with a visit to Akkerman in The Hague when I go to the Netherlands next month.

All empires crumble with time - perhaps as Baltimore rises D.C. shall fall...

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

What surprises me is that none of the vendors or other people involved with the show have

come here or anywhere else on the interwebs to give some sort of input on what's going on.

Ron Zorn is an exhibitor / vendor / repairman, prominent & respected in the community. I suggest reading his last post.

Yeah, I saw that post and understand it. I don't have any feelings on entitlement to a show - that's backward thinking. If it happens, it happens. All I am saying is that I am surprised that it's three months away and nobody has said anything. I know it's a huge undertaking with a lot of variables that are impossible to account for. Still, it's amazing to me that there has been zero information at this point. If there are problems getting things organized, I would have at least issued some kind of statement by now were it me. He doesn't owe anybody anything, but it's surprising nonetheless.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

Feel sorry for those vendors that put in to make this show a success (and people who already made plans). Imagine if you planned to launch at pen sthe "show"

Edited by ck360