Stained!

eharriett

I got a couple of Noodler's Charlie pens. Received some with my ink purchases. Others, I got here on FPN. And I just tried Noodler's Whaleman's Sepia in it, thinking it would flow better in that pen. It didn't. But when I went to clear out the ink, I noticed it left a yellow stain in the barrel. I know that stain has been mentioned by others in the past on other threads. But I cannot find anyone's mentioning of how to remove it. Is there a way? I tried having it sit overnight in bleach. And then another overnight in ammonia (not together, of course).

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• amberleadavis

• lapis

• CrispyBacon_87

Uh, don't leave your pens overnight in either bleach or ammonia. If the stain is going to come out with either of those treatments, it'll do so within 60 seconds. Leaving the pen in the treatments for such a long period may dissolve the metal parts. I know of what I speak, as I lost a very expensive pen that way.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

Not true. Neither bleach nor "ammonia" will dissolve any metal parts, even overnight. Such solutions may however react with other parts of a pen, such as a sac or connections in the section and/or barrel. To remove any stains, use very dilute concentrations of one or the other, for a day or two. Then wash out accordingly, with distilled/deionized water. Still, I can't promise that that type of cleaning will get rid of stains from the ink you mentioned.

There was a post here last week including various ink cleaners, e.g. R&K, MB etc., but I don't remember exactly where.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Not true. Neither bleach nor "ammonia" will dissolve any metal parts, even overnight. Such solutions may however react with other parts of a pen, such as a sac or connections in the section and/or barrel. To remove any stains, use very dilute concentrations of one or the other, for a day or two. Then wash out accordingly, with distilled/deionized water. Still, I can't promise that that type of cleaning will get rid of stains from the ink you mentioned.

There was a post here last week including various ink cleaners, e.g. R&K, MB etc., but I don't remember exactly where.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Bleach, especially, can corrode aluminum. That's why you're not supposed to use 2000 Flushes in your toilet tank.

Heck, I even ruined a stainless steel teapot by leaving bleach in it overnight (I forgot about it). By morning, the pot was ruined. Stain-LESS steel, just less likely to corrode.

Edited by CrispyBacon_87

Well, that may be true with your bleach but not with "normal" bleach consisting of a dilute concentration of the weak hypochloric acid.

Whatever... the thread I was thinking about is here ==> What's Your "cleaner" Ink?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

It's any type of bleach. It's a chemical reaction. Dilute or not, the reaction still happens.

I use the regular kind they have in the laundry aisle at the grocery store, nothing industrial.

Also, I didn't think it was possible either, until I came downstairs the next morning and my teapot was bubbling with rust.

Edited by CrispyBacon_87

Guys, it's the barrel of a Charlie pen. It is plastic. The nib was extracted. It is

fine. Any ideas on removing the yellow?

Aren't there Magical Stain-Cleaning Inks? I believe one is Sailor Doyou...there's another, red ink, possibly Noodler's Red Rattler, but don't quote me.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Different pens and converters are made of different plastics so there isn't one cleaning method that works for all. Not all inks that stain will stain every plastic.

You could start with liquid dish soap. 2-3 ml dish soap in 10-15 ml water. Put in the barrel and use a qtip to gently wash the inside of the barrel. Empty and clean well with water.

If that doesn't work, Sailor Do-you is often suggested, as well as some others.

I never tried that ink. Not sure I even have a sample of it. I'll see about adding it to the next order I place. Gotta get some new stationary soon anyway :)

Thanks for the advice!

**Edited to fix formatting from typing post on an iPhone**

Edited by eharriett

For the nastiest stuff I usually use a 10:1 distilled water: ammonia solution. Haven't tried it with that particular ink however. I did use it in a Pelikan 120 Merz & Krell I picked up about a year ago that needed a real good cleaning. It was bad enough I needed to leave it overnight if I recall correctly.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Lapis' link has the forum's thoughts on using other ink to remove stains from barrels of pens. Noodler's Rattler Red is the one that was mentioned.

However, you may not be able to get the stains out of this pen. Some inks and manufacturers are more likely to stain the plastic.

Buzz

Sailor Do You

Noodler's Rattler Red

Vintage Skrip (especially Blue Black)

Parker Quink

All of the above have worked for me.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Well, looks like this has become a moot point. I went to swab it with a Q-tip to try and get the yellow out and I noticed a small crack in the barrel by the threads. So much for that. Although, for curiosity's sake, I might try some of the vintage Solv-X Quink or vintage Skrip Blue Black to see if that does anything. Thanks for the advice.

In a related note, I'd been cleaning out a Sheaffer School pen since January 5!! had the nib unit submerged in 50/50 of water ammonia trying to clear that out changing it twice a day before it was finally clean. As a starter to its new life as an eyedropper pen (and a nice one, too), I've filled it with some vintage Quink (with Solv-X!). I've gotta see about purchasing some phenol and adding it to all my inks in the future.

Oh bummer about the crack. I guess since it's near the threads you can't fix it?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It is in the top of the threads and goes past the word "Charlie." I can fit my fingernail in it, so pretty deep. I contacted Goulet, since I got it from them with my bottle of Kung te Cheng and they got back to me pretty quick. Next order I place, just let them know in the special comments section and they'll send new one. I think the crack is too deep to try and save, and while I wasn't expecting it to be replaced since it was a free pen, it will be (I am gearing up for more stationary soon anyway, almost out of my current stuff, so I'm not too concerned).

Ah, well, that's great news.