Help With Amazon-Bought Pen

Flippy

I bought a pen (Parker Sonnet Dark Grey) yesterday from Amazon. I heard some people complain how it endlessly skips no matter what they do. Can someone experienced help me on what I should do should it be a dud nib? :o

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• Parker51

• Left FPN

• Flippy

Top Posters In This Topic

First, if purchased as new, before you ink it up look it over and determine if it has been inked. If it looks like it has, photograph the evidence. Then, flush the pen with clean cool water and check for signs of ink or any other material and if it demonstrates anything other than clear water photograph the evidence. Now ink up the pen. Try writing with it. If it write's well, then great. If not and you earlier discovered evidence the pen was somehow compromised, you have evidence of this for your complaint so as to get a full refund.

New pens should write without skipping. Skipping is not a "problem", it is either a manufacturing defect, a contamination issue, or something else which has gone wrong. Now, if you bought this pen as used and it skips, then it may be a manufacturing defect,etc., or it could be a maintenance issue or previous owner abuse.

Get a magnifier and make certain the tines are in line with each other, there is good tipping material and everything looks and feels correct with the nib. If not and new, send it back. If not and used, treat it like any poor abused pen and either repair it if you know how, or pay someone to do so. But even if sold as used, but in good or better condition as a functional pen and it skips, send it back.

Fixing mistakes created by a manufacturer or marketer by the end user is unacceptable. It allows those up the supply chain to externalize to the end user a cost of production and artificially increase their profits. So don't let them get away with it.

However, if you bought the pen as not even a second, that is a product with cosmetic problems, but which functions otherwise correctly, but as salvage, then pay someone to fix it or learn to repair it yourself. Hopefully if you did buy it as salvage you didn't pay much.

Interestingly here Amazon doesn't sell products as salvage to the public. They instead sell their salvage to others by the pallet who sort through it, trashing what truely has no value and selling by auction the salvageable. The high volume of cosmetically acceptable merchandise which has turned out to be unusable however has even soured buyers of salvage locally to the extent that some of the auctions locally that sell salvage to the public here even have a money back guarantee if the item turns out to be unusable due to missing parts, manufacturing defects, damage, or anything else which makes the item only good for recycling.

Edited by Parker51

Some dealers like our local store Flax, offer adjustments in store. It may require an appointment but only takes a few minutes.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

A pen that skips will not work until someone competent adjusts it. Getting it adjusted is a good suggestion.

If this proves too difficult, you should return it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Amazon offers good customer support. I bought a waterman carene on there and despite an attempt at cleaning before returning a previous buyer had obviously tested it. Dried ink in the nib! I took photos as proof but none was required and a replacement was sent no questions asked. Even you try the pen and it doesn't work well, you can return stating "product performance inadequate", which is one of their options, and you can get a refund or replacement and they will cover shipping. If the problem is endemic to the model though, you may have to get it adjusted or fiddle with it yourself... Carefully of course!

I bought a pen (Parker Sonnet Dark Grey) yesterday from Amazon. I heard some people complain how it endlessly skips no matter what they do. Can someone experienced help me on what I should do should it be a dud nib? :o

1. Don't believe everything you read on the web.

2. Return the pen asap.

That's it in a nutshell.

Finito.

Fred

Still your friend and mine

This reminds me of an old fashioned expression: Don't borrow trouble.

I feel like it's bad luck to expect a problem even before the pen arrives .... it can become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

We've re-sold a lot of Sonnets, and I don't remember any coming back due to skipping, but then we do spend a lot of time adjusting the nibs before shipping.....

Good luck with your Sonnet, I hope you find it to be awesome :)

TERI