Akkerman Hollandse Meesters #8 Ruisdael's Stormachtig Blauw

Geert Jan

In addition to the regular line of inks Akkerman in The Hague now offers a range of 'Dutch Masters' inks. Though the bottle says 'limited colors collection'I cannot find a reference to what the limited stands for (limited edition, limited range of colours,...), and I forgot to ask.

I'm fortunate that the shop is just a short train ride from my home, so I could have a look at the ink before buying.

Here is my review of the ink (bear with me, it's my first review). Sorry for the handwriting

The bottle is the larger, non-faceted version. Just like the smaller bottles for the regular addition it uses a small chamber in the neck closed off with a marble. I love these bottles: it's so easy to fill even large-nibbed pens from them (and, by the time I get that far, allow you to get the last of the ink out of the bottle).

It's already apparent that the ink contains a fair amount of purple (more so than blue).

http://i.imgur.com/cZmScGsl.jpg

The ink is wet, and in combination with a wet pen, puts down a very dark line. I would not label this colour as a stormy blue; it might describe a storm cloud just before a heavy thunderstorm. I do like the colour, and it's a welcome addition to the collection.

It's a well-behaved ink: wet, lubricating, no feathering or spreading. It shows some shading potential, but needs a drier pen to see that. Drying times are pretty long, certainly on Clairefontaine DCP paper, but on more absorbent paper a wet line will still take quite a while to dry. Once the ink is dried, it is smear resistant. Sorry the only other blues I've inked up at the moment are other Akkerman inks.

Addition regarding bleed through/showthrough. After the setting up the report I noticed some showthrough on the white Clairefontaine paper, on the Leuchtturm no such thing.

(click on thumbnails for larger view)

http://i.imgur.com/jdbKrCzl.jpg?1

The water drip test water drops for 1 min on paper (after that blotted, and see above). Again: once the ink is dry it seems to be

http://i.imgur.com/wlCpA3Ut.jpg

On leuchtturm paper:

http://i.imgur.com/3wsxDqLm.jpg

Now the last thing left to do is to go to the Rijksmuseum to see the original painting....

Link to a picture of the painting:

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/rijksstudio/artists/jacob-isaacksz-van-ruisdael/objects#/SK-C-211,0

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• gylyf

• Geert Jan

• MHBru

Thanks for the review! The new bottle is wonderful, but I just can't get excited about this color. I'll have to try it in a drier pen, because otherwise, it's just too dark for me.

I agree that in a wet pen it is a very dark, but I don't mind that so much : I like Sailor Shigure as well :) Still it's good that not everybody shares the same tastes: it would become a very boring world. This week the ink will get more of a workout: it'll be part of the collection I take to work this week. Hopefully I can post an update on that next weekend.

Next on the list is Vermeer's Steenrood, which at least in the shop looked like a nice reddish brown. As I already have more than enough pens inked up, I need to empty a few first.

I agree that in a wet pen it is a very dark, but I don't mind that so much : I like Sailor Shigure as well :) Still it's good that not everybody shares the same tastes: it would become a very boring world. This week the ink will get more of a workout: it'll be part of the collection I take to work this week. Hopefully I can post an update on that next weekend.

Next on the list is Vermeer's Steenrood, which at least in the shop looked like a nice reddish brown. As I already have more than enough pens inked up, I need to empty a few first.

Looking forward to more reviews!

This one looks very intriguing. Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I must have a serious look at this collection and choose a couple of colours to order. Great review.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

This is the one in the series I am interested in the most. Looks like a more colourful and better performing Diamine Eclipse. Thank you for the review!

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

I am anxious to try this color. I bought the whole set last month from Akkerman. Vanness must have gotten more of 3 colors last night. Now there is only 1 bottle of 1 color left.

Thank you for this review, I've been waiting to hear more on these inks :)

"When I have a little money, I buy books pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

--- Erasmus --- sort of http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.png

Great review and bottle. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 years later...

this is my most disappointing ink ... it's entirely too dark... nearly black and the hints of blue and purple are less of a hint than an aspiration... for all practical purposes,,, this is a black ink... and of course i got a large bottle. Let me know if you'd like to sample it.

Oh, I'm sorry you don't like it. I ended up getting a bottle and really like it a lot -- IIRC, it was the ink I used to inaugurate my M600 Violet and White last spring. It's not as dark as inks like Diamine Regency Blue or Ferris Wheel Press Tanzanite Sky, so it still has some of the purple/blue color to it. It's probably my favorite of the Dutch Master inks.

edited for formatting issues

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A very good review. I was debating purchasing a bottle of this ink. Does anyone think it looks close to Diamine Damson?

Regards,

David

Edited by NeverTapOut

Oh, I'm sorry you don't like it. I ended up getting a bottle and really like it a lot -- IIRC, it was the ink I used to inaugurate my M600 Violet and White last spring. It's not as dark as inks like Diamine Regency Blue or Ferris Wheel Press Tanzanite Sky, so it still has some of the purple/blue color to it. It's probably my favorite of the Dutch Master inks.

edited for formatting issues

Hi Ruth... what pen and nib combination do you use with this ink? Maybe I'll give it a fresh look to see if I can catch those undertones.

Edited by MHBru

I'll have to go through my notebooks to see which combinations worked well with Stormachtig Blauw, but don't remember having any particular problems with it in any of the pens I've used it in.