What Pen Did You Finish Today?

praxim

In fairly quick succession, a Soennecken 510 and an Aurora 88 (Ottantotto) GT. The Soennecken nib surprisingly has a sweet spot with sharp fall-off on either side. Other than that it was sweet with Lamy's T53 Obsidian. The modern 88 is the pen I deem most practical if I were to have but one pen. It went about its business with Waterman's Green, some would say harmoniously.

One of the next pens up is an Onoto Magna from the late 1940s. Even tilting the new Lamy T53 bottle it was sucking air as well as ink owing to the depth being inadequate for its big, beautiful, No 7 nib. By weight I measured only 0.6 mL taken up so it will probably be reported here as finished fairly soon.

X

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• praxim

• inkstainedruth

• KaB

• Noihvo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This morning it was the Sailor Pro Gear Slim Purple Cosmos, finishing a fill of diluted Iroshizuku Yama-guri. That pen is now soaking. I haven't yet gotten around to flushing a pen I finished a few days ago -- the black Parker Laidtone Duo-vac). Like the pen but didn't particularly like the color of vintage Quink Green.

I've got several other pens which are soon to go on the "flush or refill" list, including the Dark Lilac Safari (diluted J Herbin Rose [scented]), and the almost empty ebonite Noodler's Konrad (Sailor Souboku).

Actually, I think I really need to get full bottles of both Souboku and the Herbin Rose.... Like them both a lot. But they both seem to be harder come-by here in the States; not every seller has the Herbin, and VERY few places have Souboku in stock at the moment. :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

Onoto Magna, a black 1876 model most probably from the late 1940s, ran out of Lamy T53 Amazonite ("Crystal" series). Sadly, it ran out faster than it should because those T53 bottles are hopelessly small for the Magna's magnificent No 7 nib, so by weight measure it collected only about 0.6 mL rather than two or three times as much. A very well behaved pen, quite useable generally, with a great nib.

X

Pilot Custom Heritage 92 (Blue Demo) filled with Diamine Royal Blue. The 92 is a wonderful pen and underrated IMO.

Cross Solo, B nib. Now soaking the nib in ammonia solution, but probably don't have to do it for too long, since the ink had been (diluted) Herbin Lavender. Amazingly, even when I had refilled the pen with distilled water, it was still pretty stinky from the lavender scent. Just too illegible on the page. Not an ink I will be buying anytime soon, although I just picked up a bottle of the Herbin Rose (scented) ink (unlike the Lavender, it smells LOVELY).

Suspect that the Puss in Boots Vector will be next. Again, an ink that got diluted with a fill of distilled water (in that case being 3 Oysters Doldam). I like the ink okay, but (like Herbin Lavender) dilution makes it too light to really be legible on the page.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Onoto 6400 plunge filler with No 3 nib, a type 6411 to be precise, emptied unexpectedly early of Aurora's Blue Black. I guess it does put down a medium to broad line, and I had been writing a bit thanks in part to its soft smoothness in use.

X

I am finally down to my last inked Soennecken, another having run out today. It is unnumbered on the barrel although in every other respect I would say it is a red 506. The nib is marked on the piston knob as EF yet its flexibility means it writes very comfortably for me, fine as it is. I generally prefer F and M nibs. Once again I was trialling one of the newish Lamy T53 inks, Peridot, with which I was quite happy in colour and characteristics. I look forward to this pen eventually coming back into rotation again.

X

Pilot Vanishing Point Carbon Black w/Pilot Blue wrote until dry.

So now it is the Pelican M205 Blue w/Pelikan Black is next to go into rotation.

No imagination I am told. Maybe go out on a limb and use Herbin Perle Noire? Nah

I broke a nominal rule I have, never to re-ink a pen but to move on to another. I broke it for a Soennecken Rheingold, which event says what I want about the pen. After that second round I will now put it away for a while. The ink was Lamy T53 Azurite, a good, strong blue.

X

Today was a Sailor Magellan H-F ran till dry now to clean and find the next victim willing daily carry.

I finished an English BHCR Esterbrook Relief No. 1 this morning, along with a cup of coffee and a scone.

Soon thereafter, on this very same day, I finished my Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with a Masuyama needlepoint grind.

I cleaned both of them and put them away for use some time later.

I finished, cleaned, and added to my collection a Parker Vacumatic Debutante in black laminate. I've been using my spare time to refurbish vacumatics since they were so sparsely represented in my collection. This little debutante needed only a nib and I was able to acquire one at the St. Louis pen show and I've been using it ever since. It's a very ordinary-looking black pen when inked, but when it's cleaned and the sun is shining on it, wow!

Not finished, but probably giving up on and flushing, the TWSBI 580-ALR, currently filled with diluted Diamine Shimmer Arabian Nights. A bad combination because of the fact that on the 580s the piston does not extend all the way to the back of the feed, so when the ink is low it's easy to get air bubbles. I've had to dip it in distilled water twice this morning already. The pen is weird anyway -- for giggles I got the 1.1 mm stub nib on it, and it writes better upside down because the ink is so wet.

KInd of too bad, really, it's a pretty color and I like the silver sheen. I guess I will have to use a less gushing ink in future, and save the fancy shimmer inks to to the 1980s era Pelikan M100 and the cheap Chinese fude pen in future. I should really have known not to get the 580-ALR, after my experiences with the pink 580-AL (same issue with the piston), coupled with the ribbed section being hard to wipe excess ink off of it. But, well, purple.... :blush:

Today I just finished off the Waterman Absolute Brown in a Pelikan M1000 with a Mark Bacas fine cursive italic. I can't say the same about the relatively dimuntive Pelikan 400NN that I filled at the same time--thanks to its impressive ink capacity of 2mL!

inked up the recently arrived sheaffer imperial triumph on the 24th.
I'm disaccustumed to fnie nibs , I wrote so much with it and the ink simply wouldnt run out haha!
inked with herbin bleu nuit

A TWSBI Vac700 (1.1 stub), with Diamine Honey Burst, which is a lovely ink.

That was the final straw, so I also ended up cleaning out quite a lot of pens (I typically wait until I have quite a collection and then clean a batch; to prevent drying out in the interim, I usually refill a finished pen with water).

I emptied out a Moonman M2 of KWZ IG Red #3, because I hadn't written with it for ages.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

1930s Onoto 3050 in a red hard rubber woodgrain finish, good No 2 nib. It is in the smaller range for normal pens so does not hold a lot of ink; Diamine Ruby in this case.

X

Just emptied out Diamine Blue Velvet on a Pilot Custom 823 broad custom-ground italic. Always a satisfying moment given the volume of ink that the 823 can hold. Now off to do a quick flush and then refill!