The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Pen Did You Finish Today?

• Please log in to reply
796 replies to this topic

#681 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2019 - 21:50

The premise of this thread is so simple but I love it. It is a triumph to write a pen dry and I am glad that we are all doing so.

I enjoy the sense of one small journey ending, a brief reflection on it. 

Yesterday I finished an unserialised Onoto 88P, one of the early 60s production. From its slightly leaky behaviour, it needs a new seal so is now waiting in the workshop.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

Sponsored Content

#682 Dont_Flexme

Dont_Flexme

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2019 - 22:04

Finished a Parker 51 with an Italic nib and a TWSBI 700 Vac- cleaning underway.

#683 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,857 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2019 - 21:29

The black Laidtone Duovac.  Refilled it with distilled water for now; we'll see how the vintage Quink Green looks when highly diluted, and if I don't like it I'll flush it out in a day or two.  I honestly don't like the color of the ink all that much, but it (of course) behaved nicely in the pen....

Trying to get some pens out of rotation in order to put others (and inks I haven't yet tried) *into* rotation.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#684 praxim

praxim

On twig

• 4,399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2019 - 23:40

Waterman 94, a plain black slightly chunky lever filler with silver-nickel trims and of course a flexible nib. Visconti Blue, a quite intense blue, is a favourite for me in the straight blue races.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#685 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:45

fpn_1559277892__img_5140.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#686 eerestis

eerestis

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:43

A red Platinum Balance with a fine nib.

#687 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2019 - 16:02

Wing Sung 698 extra fine nib with Diamine Registrar's ink.  Took over a month with almost daily writing to finish.

#688 praxim

praxim

On twig

• 4,399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:42

Waterman Man 100, this one the silver godron style, not the Etoile. As well as the Man 100 serial it has a separate serial on the cap, within the run of these silver pens. Fine nib, Pelikan Edelstein Ruby. The Man 100 variants are my favourite Watermans since the 1920s-1930s pens, albeit their nibs are quite different.

#689 praxim

praxim

On twig

• 4,399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:58

Waterman Man 100 Patrician, emerald, ran out of Pelikan Edelstein Topaz. There was almost a theme going there.

Normally I keep four pens inked. I will delay selecting a replacement for a couple of days because I have a few Lamy T53 inks incoming so will pair something with one of those.

#690 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:04

fpn_1560585840__img_5157.jpg

"We are one."

#691 praxim

praxim

On twig

• 4,399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:38

Two finished: a recently restored early '50s Aurora 88 which was a normal example of the type, and an S T Dupont LIne D Atelier, the larger version, in a purple lacquer. I was trying one of Lamy's T53 Crystal series in the Aurora, Topaz, a bronze which is attractive.

I often only part-fill pens yet found myself surprised and regretful when the Dupont ran out of its Robert Oster Deep Sea. Like most S T Duponts, it is an exceptionally good pen in the modern idiom and not half bad to look at either.

#692 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,822 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:55

I finally finished the Parker 51 I've been using for four weeks.  I wrote somewhat less than I normally would during that time, because my granddaughter was born on June 1, and I took some time off to help my daughter with the transition to motherhood, but even under normal circumstances, a fill of that pen lasts me for two weeks, because the nib is quite fine and my handwriting is tiny.

#693 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,857 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 16:53

Today it's been a couple of pens that got written dry (plus one yesterday morning):

Pilot Metropolitan, M nib, finishing a fill of Robert Oster Charcoal, which had already been diluted) -- that pen has been flushed out.

Parker 51 Vac, EF nib, which (finally  :rolleyes:) ran out this morning of it's diluted refill of vintage Quink Blue this morning while I was doing pages.  That will be the next to flush.

And then from yesterday, the Sailor Pro-Gear Slim, zoom nib.  Trying to decide if I'm going to refill (didn't have time on Tuesday) with Iroshizuku Yama-guri, refill with distilled water, or flush it out entirely.

The green 45 I picked up at an estate sale company's warehouse sale a few months ago is probably next on the block after those -- I'm still working with the reconstituted (and now diluted) ink that was in the converter when I bought the pen, but it's still pretty legible (I think it might have been something like Quink Blue Black).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#694 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 15:01

fpn_1561042863__img_5167.jpg

"We are one."

#695 SwipedFromTruman

SwipedFromTruman

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 15:12

I just emptied my Pilot Metropolitan again last night.  Ran it fresh out of Noodlers Air Corps Blue-Black - Flushed and refilled this morning with Diamine Ancient Copper.  Was sketching out my plans for a custom storage box when it ran out.  Had to finish it with my Plumix!

"There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know." - Harry S Truman

#696 CJH111

CJH111

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2019 - 13:02

Finished a Pilot Prera with Herbin Vert de Gris.  Cleaned and stored for a while as I have a few new-to-me pens to try out, but what a good reasonably priced pen the Prera is.

#697 praxim

praxim

On twig

• 4,399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:47

Tried the new Aurora Blue Black in a Pelikan M400 tortoise, circa 1980s. The colour proved good. The pen is always good.

#698 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,698 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 21:15

Two pens of what might be called the midcentury: a Merz & Krell Pelikan 120, filled with  Pelikan 4001 brilliant black, and an Aurora 88P filled with Aurora black. It isn't that I have any compulsion to use ink made by each pen's manufacturer; it just happened that way.

#699 MichaelF

MichaelF

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:07

I finished my Platinum 3776 Century with fine nib, inked with Aurora Black. I have been avoiding this pen for a while because the nib is so fine and the feedback is so prominent that it can be rather jarring on less than ideal paper. But once I got going with it again I settled in with it and started to enjoy its finicky characteristics... For that reason its not the first pen Id hand to someone who has never used a FP. Its an acquired taste, and one that I often lose a taste for.

Aurora Black is my emergency backup ink. I keep some in one of those little Sanford Penit ink bottles at my desk (labeled Washable Royal Blue, to throw off any would be FP ink thieves). I refilled the Platinum with Platinum Blue Black, which is fantastic for lesser quality papers, such as those often found on legal pads.

Edited by MichaelF, 26 June 2019 - 22:00.

#700 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 08:05

fpn_1562400320__img_5273.jpg

"We are one."

Sponsored Content

|