What Pen Did You Finish Today?

praxim

Friday, the M300 with Stipula Dark Blue finally ran dry. Even though I now have 2 bottles, I still didn't feel like dumping it down the sink and ran it out doing sudokus at work, all so I could try a different ink in that pen.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• praxim

• inkstainedruth

• KaB

• Noihvo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finished my Esterbrook J with 9968 broad nib yesterday evening. Been using this pen with Diamine Sherwood Green for a while and it is a lovely combination.

I don’t often clean out a pen. Recently, only my Ranga Bamboo, with stub nib, was cleaned and put away. It’s girth is so big, it’s just not very comfortable. Otherwise, the number of my inked pens continues to rise. Currently they number about 15. But, each has one or more characteristics that make it different. I enjoy those differences. So, each just gets reloaded. I carry at least 5 pens each day, including an M605, with Pendleton Brown CI, an Omas Paragon, with Mottishaw CI, wonderful vintage Pelikans, and at least one excellent 3776. The others, especially my Nakaya, with Mottishaw CI, must be used frequently. Expecting a Visconti Lava Bronze Age Oversized, with a 1.5 stub. It will be cleaned and filled immediately. None of the others will be set aside. Then there will be 16. This thread really isn’t for me.

As I was journaling this lovely New Year's morning, I finished the Waterman South Seas ink that was in my Franklin Christoph Panther. Such a lovely ink! But I was comparing it with a sample of a new ink for me - Rohrer & Klinger Blu Mare - which I have loaded in my Bexley Elegance. Another lovely blue-turquoise ink! This color range seems to be my favorite. I might just have to post an ink comparison sometime.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Waterman 52 in Cardinal Red ran out of Pelikan Dunkel Grün. Not much to say about two excellent products. But for the lever filler, the Waterman could be sold today. In fact, many on here would prefer that nib to the modern ones.

X

Sheaffer Balance Oversize (the one that had been my husband's grandfather. Trying to decide whether to refill or flush it in favor or something else.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Visconti Homos Sapiens Bronze Age, the medium one with captured converter. Not only did I buy a first Visconti, I bought a broad nib (not my usual preference) having looked at the writing sample. I have two pens with broad nibs now, and am happy with that.

I have no idea of the ink. It came with something black in it from the seller. I plan to use a blue-black from Aurora or Pelikan next time. They should make a sound combination.

X

Sheaffer Cadet TD with Yama-guri ran dry and the cartridge of L'amant in the JIF ran out as well.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Sheaffer Cadet with S1 stub drained out the Sheaffer blue black. Lamy 2000 EF finished Montblanc royal blue and refilled with Diamine black green.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

emptied and flushed Parson's Essential (Diamine Oxblood),

emptied and refilled Preppy marker with J.Herbin Vert Pré

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Radius Superior with No 6 nib. I see no review of Radius in the reviews index. It is a piston filler, probably early to mid fifties era, slightly cigar-shaped, medium in size, black celluloid with one wide gold cap band and a 14k nib which is absolutely delicious. This is a great pen. Ink was Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine which suited it well.

X

My Eserbrook ran out of Yama-Dori and my Kaigelu 316 ran out of Diamine Grape. Will be cleaning and storing them later today.

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Parker Vacumatic Green Shadow Wave speed line filler -- it gave up the ghost halfway through my morning pages journal entry. Trying to decide whether to refill or flush. It's such a pretty pen, but I have too many pens inked up at the moment.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Emptied and flushed a Zebra V-301.

I wasn't using it for anything except for jotting the occasional note and it's really not much to write with anyway.

It was inked for over two years and simply refused to dry out. Wick feeds are kind of amazing that way.

I lost patience and emptied it so I could carry pens I like better.

My Aurora 88 from 1950, with a fine nib, exhausted its content of Waterman (Absolute) Brown. Its cap is silver (as in .925, not nikargenta) and if one looks closely on the cap rim, opposite the sterling mark, one can see "Esso" finely imprinted. Given the silver cap I wonder whether, rather than being a company pen, this might have been a purposeful or political gift?

It is a very fine pen, which I will keep to use again.

edit:typo

Edited by praxim

X

I ran my PenBBS 471-37GM (Niangao, M nib) pocket pen dry to see how much I could expect from a single fill. It wrote twelve and a half A4 pages with copious doodles in the margins and no breaks for paragraphs. Not the biggest chore in the world to run dry, but fair enough for a pocket pen that I won't be using for novels. (Diamine Prussian Russian Blue ink.)

My Conklin crescent filler started burping Diamine 1864 Blue Black last night so Im calling it close enough to empty.

• 3 weeks later...

Pelikan M805 Ocean Swirl, a pen that caused some contention when it came out owing to variations in the patterning. What is, I think, less contestable is that it writes and handles beautifully. Pens like the Pelikan M8xx, Aurora Optima, and vintage pens of a similar size and type are pretty much in my sweet spot for pens. The Ocean Swirl pattern on the M805 also keeps it up there among the prettiest pens to see and to use.

Ink? Just Waterman Mysterious Blue, worth another use amid the trendy stuff.

X