The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

What Pen Did You Finish Today?

• Please log in to reply
534 replies to this topic

#41 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 13:25

I replaced a cartridge on one of my Sheaffer school pens that was just about out.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Sponsored Content

#42 Noihvo

Noihvo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 13:41

fpn_1485697301__img_2679.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

#43 richila

richila

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 13:58

Yesterday, I emptied my Baoer 701 filled with Diamine Sherwood Green and my Hero 901 filled with Lie de The.

#44 cherylmarie

cherylmarie

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 14:19

Yesterday afternoon I again ran dry my Sheaffer Craftsman Tip-Dip in basic black with an F nib, with Sheaffer black ink.

Such a good pen. Although it is slim, it's balance is spot-on perfect. The nib is very fine and very stiff but also very smooth across the paper without any degree of drag. This little one practically writes all by itself so all one needs to do is provide a little guidance.

All things considered, this bland pen is possibly my favorite, certainly one of my top three. It was found at a thrift store, mixed in a Zip Lock bag of wooden pencils. No restoration was required, and I imagine someone got rid of it in favor of a Bic Banana or something similar.

I agree! I've got two of these pens, both with very fine nibs, and they are wonderful! 

#45 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,939 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 15:03

I've just refilled my mainstay pen at home, an early-60's Sheaffer Imperial desk pen, with its mainstay ink, Pelikan Blue-Black.  The bottle itself is just about empty; it'll be the first I've finished in some time.

Praxim, I also have an M800 filled with Graf von Faber-Castell Moss Green, BTW.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#46 MalcolmH

MalcolmH

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 18:23

One of the Conway Stewart 475's I had in my rotation last week, was prone to hard start ups. So, I took advantage of a quiet Sunday morning to flush it out, strip it down, clean out the section, feed and #3 nib, and rebuild. On inspection, the feed was away from the nib, so a little heat treatment, and the pen is working splendidly.

A simple bit of DIY, but very satisfiying.

None of your fancy CS colours here. It's a black pen...and it's beautiful. Inked once again with Diamine Blue Velvet.

:thumbup:

#47 john74

john74

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 00:51

I finished my Waterman Carene loaded with Waterman Serenity Blue. It is not one of my favorite pens (the body is too thin, and the nib too stiff) but I decided to keep it in my rotation with J. Herbin Éclat de Saphir.

I also finished my OMAS Ogiva loaded with Caran d'Ache Idyllic Blue. I really like the pen but the juicy medium nib is just a bit too broad for my taste unless I use it with a dry ink like CdA Idyllic blue. So I re-inked it with the same.

#48 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,970 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:25

Praxim, I also have an M800 filled with Graf von Faber-Castell Moss Green, BTW.

I have been saying for years that you have very fine taste..... :D

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#49 grainweevil

grainweevil

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:27

After a good start to the year, a disappointing trial of KWZ IG Turquoise in a Waterman's Champion 501 will result in premature flushing. Ink's too wet for it, while the combination is inclined to dry out between uses - worst of both worlds! Ah well, so it goes.

Mmm, flushing a lever filler, My favourite thing in all the world.  :rolleyes:

#50 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:45

Today I restored two of my newly acquired P51 aeros. And I am on my way to restoring six others. Cleaned a number of pens that were in rotation for the last week. Yesterday I repaired the piston of a OSMIA 661 pen whose piston knob was broken and the blind cap was detached from the piston rod. It was a real tiring job. But at the end I was able to bring back to life this little beauty.

It came like this:

Now repaired and test filled with water:

Edited by mitto, 30 January 2017 - 11:49.

Khan

#51 richila

richila

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 15:12

I finished off a Baoer 517 filled with Vert Olive in the middle of a sentence while writing a penpal.

#52 ItwasLuck

ItwasLuck

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges."

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 17:35

Just flushing out Iroshizuku Take-Sumi to use the same ink again. Helped got rid of the stains from the IG ink I used previously. =)

Oh yes, the London Fog is quite ahem foggy XD

iKzX5Hz.jpg

Dr. Jafar Mohammed Uddin (MBBS.)

Daily Drivers = Visconti Kakadu LE #100/100 - 18Kt Gold 'M' Nib  -- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog LE #785/888 - 23Kt Pd "1.3mm Stub" Nib -- Pilot Custom 823 - 14Kt Gold 'M' Nib 

Currently Inked with MB Toffee BrownAkkerman #10 IG, and Akkerman #10 IG respectively  :wub:  :wub: 

#53 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 19:23

fpn_1485803819__dreldkoravusaye.jpg

Fred

David Roy Eldridge

Korematsu  v.  United States

and listening to Steve Cropper

#54 ppdiaporama

ppdiaporama

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:56

Alas ... all good things must come to an end

Pilot 78G BB w/ Noodler's General of the Armies

Sheaffer Targa M with Diamine Shimmertastic Golden Sands --I only dare because I've managed to unglue the nib unit so it's easy to clean.

Cross Solo B with Diamine Shimmertastic Red Lustre

Kaweco Al-Sport M with GV Faber Castell Stone Grey

TWSBI Eco 1.1 with Sheaffer Skrip Red

and now ... time to go fill some other pens!

#55 Jamesbeat

Jamesbeat

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:28

My Baoer 388, which actually surprised me.

When I first got the pen, it didn't write at all.
I tried a couple of things that didn't work and gave it up for dead.
Recently, I was reminiscing about my very first fountain pen - old Parker Vector that I used at school.

This made me wonder if it would maybe be a good idea to get myself a small slim cartridge pen as a knock about type pen.

I remembered that 388 sitting in the drawer, and decided to get it going.

I was planning on drilling out the nib unit and replacing it with a nice IPG nib unit that I have.
I pulled out the nib and feed, and noticed that I couldn't see all the way through the nib slit when I held it up to the light.
There was a burr in the slit that was impeding the ink flow.
I slipped a double edge razor blade into the slit and got rid of the burr, reassembled the pen, and it writes really nicely :D

While I was messing with it, I decided to also 'fix' a 'problem' that bugs me about this and many other recent cartridge pens.

When I was younger, all (or at least the majority) of cartridge pens were designed to be loaded as follows:
Drop the cartridge into the barrel.
Screw the barrel and section together, piercing the cartridge in the process.

For pens that take short International cartridges, it's a little different. The short cartridge is too short, and would fall down the barrel.
With the short cartridges, you drop one cartridge into the barrel upside down, drop another on top of it right side up, then screw the barrel onto the section.

This is how I wanted the 388 to work, but like many modern manufacturers, Baoer seem to have forgotten about this aspect of cartridge pens.

I machined a small disk of acrylic just wide enough to fit down the barrel, and just long enough to keep the cartridges at the correct height, and epoxied it into the end of the barrel.

The pen now works as nature intended, and I'm really happy with it.

I have been carrying and using it daily ever since.

You can probably imagine then my disappointment today when it dried up and refused to write.

I was convinced that it must have finally given up the ghost, and was somewhat surprised to find an empty cartridge inside.

I had been topping up the cartridge every couple of days, and I really didn't think I had written enough to empty it completely.

I filled up the cartridge and it's chooching again :D

Edited by Jamesbeat, 31 January 2017 - 03:32.

#56 richila

richila

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 18:25

I wrote out all of my Ancient Copper in a Baoer 517. I had just barely enough left in my vial to refill it. 

#57 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 18:39

Esterbrook J with Diamine Schubert 

Esterbrook SM Deluxe with Diamine Safari...refilled

Esterbrook Dollar with KWZ IG Red #3

Almost empty:

Twsbi Eco with KWZ Honey

Sheaffer Caftsman with KWZ Aztec Gold 

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#58 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,191 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:53

I rinsed out my FPR Himalaya of Rattler Red Eel, an ink I only loaded to use in the 52 weekly CRVs, and my Pilot Prera CM that I'd filled with Noodler's Blue.  I'm going to fill my Welsharp button-filler tomorrow, once I decide what ink to fill it with.  Or maybe I'll try Purple Mix 4 in the Prera.

#59 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,970 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 20:16

One of two Onoto 4601 I had in rotation. Both have their No 2 nib. The one finished today is externally distinguished only by having been fitted with a brass plunger rod, whose end you can see on the plunger cap. I found previously that the brass rod needed a little silicone grease to prevent ink spotting on it. Now it is well behaved.

Writing, they are quite different. When the other is also finished I will be comparing the tines for differences in adjustment. The "brass" pen writes a much finer line.

I have now inked my other two Onotos with No 2 nibs, a couple of 3050, these well distinguished visually by black vs red ripple hard rubber. The general notion is to find some reason to sell one or two of these four pens because two of the same nib should be enough.

I don't think that is going well. :)

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#60 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 20:32

The followin' pens are finished kaput toast and ready to be stowed away...

For those interested    Clockwise  Bexley Deluxe Demonstrator BFiller

Parker Sonnet in 14K Dimonite G C/C Filler   Duofold Jr  Lucky Curve

HR BFiller   Monogram Pen Non - Breakable Sold Only at the Rexall's

Store with Monogram #2 nib   Omas Ogiva Vision PIFiller

fpn_1486239649__rip_buddy_tuongkia_ea.jp

Fred

Sponsored Content

|