What Pen Did You Finish Today?

praxim

my Parker Vacumatic ran out of Rikyu-Cha. Just cleaned it.

The 1.1 Lamy studio now fills the 3rd gap in my pouch. He's on Diamine Ochre this time.

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• praxim

• inkstainedruth

• KaB

• Noihvo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, and this morning, the Sheaffer touchdown (,6 stub) ran out of Kin-Mokusei. Immediately refilled it.

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Vintage Pelikan 100 with KWZI IG Green #3. It's really beaten up (e.g. it's lost its binde), but still writes well.

and

Parker 51 (orange demo) with DIamine Blood Orange.

Onoto K4, the maroon one with medium nib. Not worrying about the ink window staining risk, I had it filled with Waterman's Red. A very decent little pen, quite practical except for one strange event. Mostly, the pen sat on my study desk or lying in a pen container. The other evening I used it while out, during which it performed perfectly well. The next morning I picked it up from my desk to use to find the section ((and my fingers) covered in red ink. I cleaned that up & continued to use it without further problems until it ran out this morning. I have no reliable explanation for that. To cover the obvious, there was no great or unusual change in temperature, not more than a few metres in altitude; I did not even drive fast around corners.

X

Blue Platinum 3776 Century loaded with KWZ Honey. The thing at the back of the barrel (finial?) got loose enough for me to easily pull off with my fingers so I shellacked it back on and the barrel is drying while the nib is soaking.

Yet another Sarah.

Montblanc 146, nominally an M nib but looking pretty broad to me if it is not just wetness. I had it filled with Graf von Faber Castell Violet Blue, which is mostly violet and a colour I peculiarly enjoy.

Thinking of how to sum up the MB, I have to say it is pretty much flawless. Well-oiled machine is a suitable analogy, in all respects.

X

Oh, and this morning, the Sheaffer touchdown (,6 stub) ran out of Kin-Mokusei. Immediately refilled it.

Same story: ran out, filled it with Kin-Mokusei again. (rather F stub and light ink, ideal for bleedthrough sensitive paper. Like filling out the puzzles in the newspaper which is exactly what this pen is currently used for)

• 2 weeks later...

In the last two days I wrote two pens dry:

1) A Wyvern Prefect with a broad nib and an amber brown marble pattern. The ink was Akkerman #10 Blue-Black

2) An Esterbrook Relief 2-L with a medium nib in a rich green marble pattern with Akkerman #10 Blue-Black ink.

Last week I finished off a Wyvern 404 in a medium nib, also with a green marble pattern and Akkerman #10.

I am on an Akkerman #10 kick right now. I go through a lot of it with that broad-nibbed Wyvern.

1980s era Pelikan Pelikano, F nib. I like the pen a lot, and I had forgotten how much I like Noodler's Liberty's Elysium -- but I'm trying to run through and flush out pens since I'm back to having too many in rotation (and am trying to limit what is inked up until both the Commonwealth Pen Show and this year's Pittsburgh Pelikan Hub).

The Lamy LX and the ebonite Noodler's Konrad are probably next up to be flushed once they get written dry, followed by a couple of Parker Vectors.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Today I wrote dry a Kakuno with F nib that had/has Sailor Souboku. This is the first time I have written a pen dry while out of the house/office where I couldn't just fill it back up. That was a new experience. I've been playing with so many samples and frequently flushing before empty that I had been thinking "I don't think I'll care how much the pen holds". Ok, so I care how much the pen holds. :doh:

When I got home it was promptly refilled with Souboku.

Literally finished with the rOtring Calligraphy Pen Set.

Utterly useless, unless you are into abstract writing where you don't care if and when the pen will decide to write..

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

The Esterbrook ran out of R&K Alt-Goldgrün. Cleaned it and filled my green Montegrappa with MB Lavender Purple. I previously sticked to shades of green for this pen. Quite fun to get this rich purple out of it now.

Finished the (takes a breath) modern Onoto Magna Classic plunge filler in bright yellow and silver, M nib. I had been using Robert Oster's Claret, a somewhat dry ink which worked well in this somewhat wet pen with generous but well-tuned special Bock No 7 nib. This pen normally comes with a converter, the internal plunge filler being an option (if you enquire). Roger Wolfe did a very fine job of it.

Its replacement among pens currently inked will be one of a few vintage Onotos I have repaired recently. At the moment, a 3000 is looking to be top of the list. One of its problems in life after the usual replacement of washer and seal was that a previous person had set the nib incorrectly, so it had crashed into the end of the cap forming a nice bend and wave. After straightening and setting it properly, there is still the hint of a wave. I will see how it writes.

X

• 3 weeks later...

Pelikan 400 from the 1950s ran out of GvFC Turquoise a few minutes ago. What a sweet nib the Pelikans of that era have.

X

I happened to drop a Lamy Vista at a crossing yesterday, so it is highly likely it has been finished by the traffic. :lol:

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

First use of a Geha 790 which I had filled with J Herbin Violette Pensée. The pen is a soft rather than very flexible (variable) writer, but sufficiently that despite apparently close tines it writes a fairly wet line from its medium nib. A very easy pen with which to write.

X

A Bulow (rebranded Jinhao) 750 with Birmingham Duquesne Station Red. I had lent the pen to a colleague interested in the fountain-pen experience. He has since bought a Lamy Safari and a Pilot Metropolitan.

Onoto 3000. To be precise, a 3205 from about 1921, with the dual wide gold bands for cap and pen. I can not see a number on the Onoto nib. The pen originally needed new seals and some work to improve the oxidised hard rubber. I found that someone had done a very shoddy job of drilling for the plunger pin, it being well offset so it goes through the edge of the rod. This proved very difficult to re-align so it is functioning without, just a bit of shellac to help to hold the threads in place.

Writes beautifully, as one expects from the old Onotos. A real pleasure to use, and perfectly behaved when writing so long as you do not wave it around too much. I was editing on the computer based on markup I had made on a printed document, quickly ticking off items as I did them, thus flicking the pin left where the paper was and carrying back to the right, being right-handed. Ink mysteriously appeared along my finger and thumb and on the computer. Fortunately Aurora Blue comes off very easily. Other than that event, never a problem writing so a very useable pen at home.

Edited by praxim

X

Sheaffer Triumph Imperial Touchdown. Sheaffer Triumph Snorkel and two of my diuble broad nibbed Parker 51s. All run out of inks. Flushed and retired for the timebeing. Inked two Parker vacumatics first generation and a MB 146 from 1970s.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas