• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• praxim

• inkstainedruth

• KaB

• Noihvo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have been using a Montblanc 149 (juicy medium nib) over the past couple of weeks, and have just written it dry. I've enjoyed the combination of this pen with Noodlers Heart of Darkness so much, that I'm going for a refill.

:thumbup:

M800medium with Diamine Amazing Amethyst. Superb presentation of this ink. When I finally think I got acquainted with the weight and size of the pen and nib, it ran out of ink.

Thanks! URL is now copied into a file of useful pen-related websites.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

Lamy Dialog 3 exhausted of Visconti Blue. When I first filled it after a long absence the Dialog felt clunky. It is, after all, in writing condition the heaviest pen by far among all of mine. However, the nib remains deliciously smooth and one soon again gets used to the convenience of its twist mechanism for notes, and even to writing a page or two at a time. I will keep it to go around again in the future.

X

My Moore ringtop started blotting the paper, and flushing it didn’t help. It probably needs a new sac so it must go to the shop.

I finished this Parker Duofold Senior yesterday. Bought it at a flea market and had it cleaned and polished for months till now. Plan to carry it with me to the philly pen show.

post-136293-0-48248500-1514593529_thumb.jpeg

Edited by GoldenNibs

Onoto 6234, the one in plain black with a wide gold cap band. The No 5 nib is definitely one of the smoothest I have tried, without the stiffness of modern nibs even though it is better described as soft rather than flexible. Ink was Aurora Black, the only black I own and then a bit of a surprise to me I bought it. Nice enough though.

This particular Onoto is one of the well behaved plunge fillers, exceptionally so. Open a couple of twists, write, close when finished. No problems at all, and the ink shutoff works.

Edited by praxim

X

The Onoto has been fairly rapidly followed by a Pelikan 100N which was filled with Visconti Turquoise, quite a good turquoise on the paler side although not as light as Waterman's. I like the variation.

The 100N is a small pen. My other Pelikans are all variants on the M800 which I find a comfortable size toward the thicker end of my preferred range. I bought this one as an experiment with older Pelikans, and it has proven interesting and well worth keeping. The nib is a little flexible, slightly toothy, very nice. While I am not about to launch into another quick half dozen as I did when I discovered the Aurora 88 of the same period, I will certainly be keeping and re-using the pen, maybe add another model from way back then.

X

I am rapidly cycling into a new bunch of inked pens. Latest to go out of circulation was an Onoto 1332 (No 22 nib) filled with GvFC's Hazelnut Brown. The same ink in an Onoto 1220, just filled, is deep and rich. In the 1332 with its fine, flexible and slightly toothy nib it is a lighter colour over all but responds well to flex. It is a good brown.

The pen is visually excellent (I have photos of it somewhere on here) and a neat little writer with the nib characteristics just mentioned, quite unlike most Onotos. It tends to hover near my "dispose" list simply because it is a lever fill (almost all my Onotos are plunge-fill) and the nib is closer to a 50s Aurora or Pelikan than to most other Onotos. Given a slightly wet ink, and its lovely translucence, it keeps hanging around anyway and probably will for a lot longer. How am I supposed to dispose of some pens when I can not dispose of one pen? :unsure:

X

Emptied my 2017 pen/ink combo yesterday. I typically choose one pen that I keep inked for the whole year. In 2017 it was a Platinum 3776 Yamanaka, F nib, with Iroshizuku Fuyu-Gaki ink. I also emptied my Lamy Safari, which had been filled with Diamine Red Lustre to do Christmas cards.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Unusually for me, I refilled the 1332 mentioned a couple of posts ago. I wanted to try a wetter ink and to test a slight adjustment to realign the tines. Aurora Black served as the medium to find a smoother pen, still less wet than the 1220 but now writing neatly. Unfortunately, it being a small pen a single slurp into the sac does not ingest much ink so already it has run out.

I named these pens as Onoto above. They are Onoto design and manufacture but not Onoto labelling, each being branded with the parent company's name, De La Rue.

X

Finished two Sailor 1911 Large, one was filled with Sailor Kobe Sannomiya Panse the other on was with Sailor Yama Dori.

Edison extended length Pearl in black/orange acrylic, with stub nib. Most recently using Faber-Castell Burnt orange ink.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Sharon, how did you find the Burnt Orange? That is the GvFC one isn't it? A bottle arrived on Friday. I have too many pens inked to add another right now, so it will be in the next cycle.

X

Sharon, how did you find the Burnt Orange? That is the GvFC one isn't it? A bottle arrived on Friday. I have too many pens inked to add another right now, so it will be in the next cycle.

Initially I wasn't sure what to think. I have it in cartridges. It followed their Garnet Red in the pen, and I didn't clean it first, so I wasn't sure what the color really was. By the end, however, I was pretty sure of it. I found it to be a soft, somewhat muted orange, not bright and shiny like Diamine Orange or Private Reserve's orange. I used it for clinical notes, and it was quite pleasant in that professional setting. However, I was equally comfortable using it in my journals and in letters.

Sharon