For The Newbies: What Pens Do You Own Currently?

theoddcopy

Hello fellow recent inductees into this wonderful hobby and lifestyle of collecting and using fine writing tools.

Here's what I'm working with so far:

My first purchases were a Lamy 2000 and a Pilot Metropolitan.

The Lamy has an EF nib with Pilot-Iroshizuku Asa-Gao in it.

The Pilot is an F nib with the Pilot-Namiki Blue-Black Cartridge.

I use my Lamy for long writing sessions at home or when I go out to a coffee shop and I use the Pilot as my "workhorse" pen that I carry pretty much anywhere.

I carry two Field Notes in a cover made by Rustico everywhere I go and I use a Rhodia Webnotebook for a Bullet Journal (exclusively written in with my Lamy 2000) and I use a Rhodia Ice Pad for handwriting my blog posts and reviews.

So what pens are you all starting your adventure with? What is your daily carry/at work/at home writing situation? Inks? Paper?

How deep in the rabbit hole are you? Newbie chat, let's go!

(Veterans welcome to participate, too, tell us about your first purchases and load-outs)

Edited by theoddcopy

Sometimes I'll pull out a notebook and write down total nonsense just because I love to feel a pen move across a page.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theoddcopy

• Misfit

• Blekksprut

• downtheinkwell

My intro into the world was really this year's Ohio pen show when I got the pen of my dreams right out of the gate: a Waterman 100 year. While I was there I also got a couple 3rd tiers. Between them all I was hooked. In a few short months, I also picked up several Esterbrooks, a couple Parker 51's, a Parker 61, and a jotter. Then I started getting interested in ink samples, now with over 60. So I also got some "tester pens." Several Jinhao's and a lovely Metropolitan (the Euro version). And I was in an antique fair, and without even looking for pens, I found a Taperite, a couple more 3rd tiers, several Sheaffers (all broken and had to send out for repairs), and an Esterbrook squeeze filler that has never been inked (not sure what I want to do with that one yet). Oh, and did I mention Several months before I went to that first pen show, I decided to kick things off since I needed a new pen by switching from ball point to fountain and my daily pen has been a new Pilot VP and on formal days a Visconti Hall of Music?

I'm in the hole but not nearly as deep as some ... yet.

Started down the rabbit hole with a Pilot Met, followed fairly quickly by a Pilot Penmanship to swap for the EF nib, which I then swapped back because I needed a thicker line for general note taking. I LOVE the line of the EF, but hate the shape and look of the pen it came attached to. More on that later. I then explored the vintage market by buying some of Gary's pens. A nice Esterbrook J in Red with a Manifold M nib, then a Gold-filled cap Eversharp Skyline. I use this for my IG inks. Still want a broad nib for showing off ink, but still love the extremely thin lines for cursive handwriting. Remembering how much I love that super fine line, I went for it and pulled the trigger this morning on a Pilot 912 with a PO nib. Got my fingers crossed I'll like it as much as some of the reviewers did, but as long as I can proudly ditch the transparent Penmanship for something really nice looking I'll be a happy man, indeed.

John Theivagt

Between my finger and my thumb

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

-- excerpt from "Digging" by Seamus Heaney

I recently inherited my fathers collection of assorted nibs, pens, inks and other related items, and have been working on figuring it all out. He used them to draw, but probably stopped a few years ago due to his hands not working too well anymore. He was pretty quiet about pens, apart from giving me and my sisters a beginners calligraphy-set when we were young. So I knew little about what things were, and how I was supposed to use them. He was also a pretty messy person, so quite a lot of the pens was left with ink in them. I've been carefully rehabilitating the ones there might be hope for.

The first pen was a black, plastic Parker from the 70's (I think) where the ink in the cartridge was so dry it was tumbling. I took out the cartridge and (according to instructions from this forum) tried to rinse the feed-and-nib section under running water. The water never cleared, so I soaked it for a day, changing the water every now and then. It worked beautifully; once I inserted a new cartridge it wrote nicely. It felt very much like a good everyday pen, so I gave it to my younger sister, who loves the feel of it.

The second pen was an old Waterman 32 lever pen, where the latex ink sac had calcified, and fused in the bottom of the pen, making it impossible to re-sac. I tried the nib by dipping it in ink, and it was beautifully smooth to write with, but given that I have many dip-nibs from before, I thought my older sister who is not too fond of writing would like it, just as a memento.

Currently I am just trying out everything, especially the different types of nibs and ink-filling mechanisms. Next on my plate are some Osmiroids that clearly have been used a lot, but could use a but of a soak. They can be refilled without cartridges,which is good, because I have so much ink available.

Now, I just have to get the Pelikan Graphos working, but that is proving more difficult than the other pens.

This forum has been a great source of information. Thank you :)

The calcified sac on the Waterman 32 can be fixed. Basically, pick and scrape it off (carefully) then finish with a very fine grit sandpaper for smoothness. Dental picks make good tools for this.

X

The calcified sac on the Waterman 32 can be fixed. Basically, pick and scrape it off (carefully) then finish with a very fine grit sandpaper for smoothness. Dental picks make good tools for this.

Thanks! I will give it a go :) Since last night I have filled a Platignum Silverline with ink, and will try this one out for a while first.

I started with a box of Pilot Varsities, and I loved them. So I looked into "real" fountain pens because I thought fountain pens shouldn't be disposable. The Lamy Safari came next, and I lost that one on a trans-Pacific flight. I replaced it with another Lamy Safari and Lamy 2000. The journey began!

Buzz

Depends on what you consider a newbie! I started this as a hobby in earnest around October/November of last year. I already had a Lamy Studio for journaling. My current collection has expanded in the last couple months to:

Lamy Studio

Franklin-Christoph Model 28

TWSBI Eco

Pilot Falcon

Conklin Nighthawk

Sailor 1911 mid (Mottishawed for flex)

Edison Nouveau Premier Arctic Currents (on order)

Conid Minimilistica (on order - patiently waiting for about 3 weeks now)

Can't tell you how many others I want. A Visconti may be next. I want to see what that lava Homosapiens feels like.

Edited by OmegaMountain

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

My path to begin (started a year ago) - in the first two months I bought the following (in this order)

Sheafer 100 -> Lamy Safari -> Baoer 100 -> Pilot Metropolitan -> Cross Peerless 125 -> Platinum 3776 Century -> Pilot Custom 823.

I started my fountain pen journey with a Nemosine Singularity, which I used for probably two years straight every day before buying the Fission.

1. Nemosine Singularity EF (black)

2. Nemosine Fission .6 stub (black)

3. Lamy Safari Dark Lilac EF (I bought two, one as a back-up since it is a LE)

4. Lamy Safari Charcoal EF

5. Lamy Vista EF

6. Sea Glass Celtic pen (idk the nib width, writes like a broad, I never use it)

7. Franklin-Christoph pocket 66 in solid ice w Masuyama steel needlepoint

8. Pilot Vanishing Point F (black w rhodium trim)

9. Nemosine Singularity EF (demonstrator)

10. Hero 616 (I just bought these to try them out since they were so cheap)

11. Faber-Castell Loom EF (metallic silver)

Other pens I have bought but returned for various reasons:

1. Pelikan m205 (good size, but otherwise I was severely underwhelmed, especially for the price)

2. Visconti Homo Sapiens Dark Age (hard starts and skipped like crazy; also too heavy to be comfortable)

Edited by inkfade

My re-entry* into the fountain pen world began with a couple of kits that I turned on a lathe. From there, the best I can recall was:

Lamy Safari EF

Pilot Metropolitan F

Sheaffer 100 M (plus a spare F nib)

Pilot 78G F

Lamy Studio EF

Parker 61

Pilot Metropolitan M (a gift from my daughter)

The first Parker 61 was found by chance when I went to an antiques store hoping to find a Parker 51. Since finding that one, I have bought four more 61's and one Parker 21. The roughest looking 61 is an engraved Insignia with the arrow and one jewel missing but it has become my daily carry replacing the 78G because I love the way it writes. The Parker 21 writes like a F or EF and it is also a favourite of mine.

* Like many of the members on this forum, I am old enough to have used dip pens in grades 5 through 8 before switching to ballpoint pens.

Gord

Loving this thread. I think it's funny to see the various types of intros that seem to fall into three different categories:

1. Picked up an inexpensive something and then worked their way into nicer things (Pilots or Lamy 2000s)
  2. Found some antique type pens and then spread into more modern stuff
  3. Just straight up fell face first into a high dollar pen on the first go (Pilot 823, Nakaya, or Montblanc)

Looking forward to growing my own collection and filling it with more pens in the $50-100 range as well as the $150-250 range.

Sometimes I'll pull out a notebook and write down total nonsense just because I love to feel a pen move across a page.

I take a lot of notes at work, so comfort and utility are priority #1 for me. I don't think I'll go back to rollerballs or gel pens. Ever!

1- Lamy Safari Charcoal, F

2- Lamy Safari Dark Lilac, M

3- TWSBI ECO Demonstrator, M

4- Pilot CH 92 Demonstrator, M

5- Kaweco Brass Sport- My #1 pen. Fits in a pocket with no issues whatsoever.

Learned quite a bit on this forum. Thanks to all the members for their contributions.

Loving this thread. I think it's funny to see the various types of intros that seem to fall into three different categories:

1. Picked up an inexpensive something and then worked their way into nicer things (Pilots or Lamy 2000s)
  2. Found some antique type pens and then spread into more modern stuff
  3. Just straight up fell face first into a high dollar pen on the first go (Pilot 823, Nakaya, or Montblanc)

Looking forward to growing my own collection and filling it with more pens in the $50-100 range as well as the $150-250 range.

Sigh! :rolleyes:

Like many I started with a Pilot Metropolitan. Predictably, a Lamy Safari followed, then a Platinum Preppy. At this point the avalanche gained momentum... :wacko:

Kaweco Sport AL Stonewashed black, TWSBI Vac Mini clear. Ok, not too bad. :lol:

Sailor Professional Gear Slim in translucent orange. Hmm. :wub:

And now, Sailor 1911 Black Lustre and Pilot Custom 823 (the amber one) will soon be on their way. :puddle:

What a week! :yikes:

Sigh! :rolleyes:

Like many I started with a Pilot Metropolitan. Predictably, a Lamy Safari followed, then a Platinum Preppy. At this point the avalanche gained momentum... :wacko:

Kaweco Sport AL Stonewashed black, TWSBI Vac Mini clear. Ok, not too bad. :lol:

Sailor Professional Gear Slim in translucent orange. Hmm. :wub:

And now, Sailor 1911 Black Lustre and Pilot Custom 823 (the amber one) will soon be on their way. :puddle:

What a week! :yikes:

Good gracious, that is quite a snowball you've caught yourself in.

I am a relative newbie, having only been in the hobby for the past year, and my pens are as follows:

• Jinhao 599C
  • Jinhao 8812
  • Jinhao x750
  • Jinhao 159
  • Platinum Preppy
  • Platinum Plaisir (My first >$10 pen)
  • Hero 9296
  • Jinhao 9009

• 2 months later...

I've been at this hobby for a month so my collection isn't as diverse as the rest of yours.

I started with a Lamy Lx that I bought from a local shop at full retail along with a few cartridges. My GF liked it so I order her a Lamy Al-Star and a bottle of Lamy Blue/Black for the Lx and a bottle of Blue for the Al-Star. I also bought converters for both.

Two weeks later I ordered a Lamy 2000 and a bottle of Noodler's Black Eel. I use this combo everyday for work.

One week after that I ordered a Pelikan M805 and a bottle of Noodler's Blue Eel for it.

I've been using the M805 and 2000 daily at work but I'm finding the 2000 to be more useful for everyday use. Little things like the snap cap, hooded nib and spring clip on the 2000 help when taking notes quickly.

Hi Pen Friends,

I got started this year. In January my penpal/friend/enabler turned me on to a Safari. I have always been a stationery/pen/post-it-note/notebook/journal/etc. geek but had never used fountain pens. I was a big fan of gel pens, l loved all the pretty colors.

Above mentioned friend/enabler further enlightened me to Goulet ink samples. Wow ... didn't know ink for pens came in so many colors!

Enter the rabbit hole.

Lamy Safari M white (goes with any color ink)- currently inked with Diamine Carnival

Lamy Al-Star M Pacific - inked with Monteverde Capri Blue

Pilot Metro F - Heart of Darkness

Pilot Metro M - Lexington Gray

Pilot Metro Retro Pop Purple F - Roher & Klingner Cassia

Lamy Joy 1.1 italic/stub - Pilot Iro Muraskai-shikibu

TWISBI Eco F - Pilot Iro Tsuki-yo

TWISBI 580 AL Silver M - Noodler's Apache Sunset

Yes they are all inked. I use the Metros with the HOD & Lexinton Gray for writing checks, signing stuff, notes for a course I'm taking (in a cheap $1.00 composition notebook) and addressing envelopes. All the rest are for personal correspondence and keeping my journal colorful.

My lovely little collection is accessorized with Mnemosyne notebook, Rhodia dot pad, Clairfontaine stationery & envelopes, bottles of Lamy turquoise, Noodlers Heart of Darkness (my little black dress of ink), Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo and a few bags of multi colored samples. I think my next bottles will be Monteverde Capri Blue, Roher & Klingner Cassia and Noodler's Apache Sunset. Those are my current favorites from my samples, but there are still some I have't tried yet.

I'm kind of drooling over that limited edition Edison pen on the Goulet website, but it's a little out of my price range. Maybe if there is one left in May I will get for myself for Mother's Day :-)

I know I'm in the honeymoon phase of the hobby/habit and one day I will probably give some away and have a couple of steady writers, but for now I'm having fun exploring fountain pen wonderland. Cheers! :)

I've been using fountain pens for almost a year now, and in that time I think ive gotten a decent-ish idea of the fp world.

My first pens were a pilot metropolitan (M & a F) and a Safari (M). I've moved on from the metropolitans, but I'll sometimes keep the Lamy in my pocket because I dont have to worry about scratches.

In terms of my everyday writer, I usually have three pens with me for school (for various tasks). In no particular order:

1) Pilot Herritage Custom 92 (M), my first gold nib, everyday tasks & writing

2) Montblanc Starwalker Extreme (M), for notes and quicker writing (im in high school) and

3) Jinhao 159 with a BLS stub from Pendleton, for whenever I want to make things look interesting (letters, notes, etc)

I usually use rhodia, and my inks can vary, but my favorite is Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite.