Too Many Pens, Too Much Ink!

Charles Skinner

This post is about a subject that I believe many of us have, and hope I can get your feelings about the subject. Here goes. I have about nineteen pens ---- (Really? How did that happen?") ----- but I have about twenty five different inks! ----- (Really? How did that happen?) ----- AND, and two more inks are due to arrive today!

My question is -------- Since all of my pens are "filled" at this time, how am I going to check out the new inks that come today? The only answer is to flush out a couple of the pens that I have not used much during the past few days,----- but flushing out pens can be a bit time consuming and a hassle!

Now, let me say that I am NOT a "collector" of pens or inks, ---- and I feel that if I am not going to use a pen, or a certain ink, I see no reason to have it!

So, my question is ------ If any of this sounds familiar to you, please tell me how you deal with it, --- other than just "FORGET ABOUT IT!"

Excuse typing mistakes, if any.

C. S.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T4TEXAS

• Barkingpig

• Pensei

• ca49reber

I like to experiment with different inks in my pens. Sometimes you can discover a new favourite or even feel like if you were using a new pen... Flushing is good for the fountain pens, so I flush them from time to time and fill with a different ink. I have just a few pens which always use the same ink. Flushing is time consuming, but I believe it is a part of this hobby - being passionate and patient, and caring about pens more than one would care about a mere tool. I flush my pens, soak them, then flush again and leave them for a day or two before inking to avoid writing with a watery ink. If you don't have the time to flush your pens perfectly and you are upset with the coloured water that comes out of your pen even after a lot of flushing, you can possibly stick to one colour family. Navy blue residues can look weird when they are mixed with a yellow ink, but it wouldn't look that bad if they were mixed with another blue.

Yep, I think many of us go through the same cycle, Charles. I use dip pens to test a new ink and get an idea of whether or not I like it. Eventually, inks do get used up. Even 25 bottles worth.

Only 19 pens? Well, you will acquire more. I keep my pens to less than 30 or so only by giving pens away every so often. And I occasionally lose a pen or two, as well as mechanical failures.

Same thing applies to inks. I use up a bottle every so often, give ink away, decide I don't like a particular ink, etc. So every so often I order a new one, just for fun.

Best of luck,

Randal

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

It is what it is :)

Accept it. Enjoy the journey.

As you know, the journey is wonderful, especially shared with us. The moment the fun stops then so should you.

A very brave member aired their genuine pen and ink addiction issues on the forum a while ago. Many understood (myself included) and were able to offer help, advice and sympathy.

My pen acquisitions plateaued early last year of its own accord. I'd bought a pen and something about it said "this is it for a while isn't it?" - I have lapsed and bought a couple of pens at a show and recently replaced a trashed Taranis but other than that I'm able to say to the voice in my head whispering "Ooo, that Pilot Custom 823 / Conid bulkfiller would make you really happy" . . . "Thank you for sharing. I'm going to play with my Noodler's Ahab now". The voice soon shuts up. The same happens with inks. My ink wish list is 44 strong but I know I'll only ever buy a handful of those a year, if that.

Don't fret :)

Enjoy them.

Too many inks for your available pens? Simple. Buy another pen!

Edited by T4TEXAS

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

I can totally relate. I went overboard on inks and pens, and am in the process of culling them down to something a bit more manageable. My goal is just one nice pen that my family bought for me, and two utilitarian pens -- along with just one blue ink, and a couple of other colors I use for emphasis.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

I am about seven months into being introduced to the wider world of fountain pens and colourful inks, and I can absolutely relate to where you are coming from. Do remember that flushing pes, while time consuming, ensures that they remain healthy and happy. I think Old_inky's advice is pretty spot on when changing inks, though I'd still advise a thorough flush- two different inks may not play well with each other and the resulting gunk can be hard to clean.

To try out the new inks, you *could* use a clean paintbrush, but do so with caution- you don't want to contaminate the bottle. Cotton swabs also work and are probably the safer bet.

And don't worry about the amassing volume of writing tools. For me personally, the impetus to get some more ebbs and flows. All in all, if you use 'em all and like 'em all, you're good!

I have close to 50 pens at present. I used to keep them all inked, but I've since cleaned and stored many of them I wasn't using regularly, and have started writing the others dry, save for a few daily users that I take with me when I leave the house. When I hit the number I'm happy with having inked, I'll continue writing them dry, cleaning and storing those and pulling one out of storage to take its place in rotation.

It works for me so far.

I've managed to keep my inks and pens in check, for the most part. I fell well too far down the wet shaving rabbit hole, so I was determined to avoid the same thing with fine writing instruments. 6 pens and 7 bottles of ink are all that make up my small collection. Except for my bottles of MB Winter Glow and Lamy Dark Lilac, I'm making myself use up what I have before purchasing new full bottles. Samples are a different story...around 30 sample vials and counting...but samples are much more manageable than full bottles!

Edited by domzals1

Yup. Been there, done that. But don't fret - there are worse addictions...

To test inks, or use more inks than you have pens: keep one cheap (as cheap as possible) pen empty and use as a dip pen. Rinse off once the ink clinging to the fins of the feed is on paper... Don't give in to temptation to fill the pen, or you'll have to get another cheapie to use as a dip pen... but make a note of the ink you liked and when the next pen empties you fill with that...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I used to keep all my pens filled, but for about the past year, I have reduced that number to two or three, and as I empty each, I flush it and put it aside until its next use. This approach has a number of advantages for me. One is that if I want to try out a new ink, there is always some pen, already clean, into which I can put it. But another is that I virtually never find myself in a position in which I need to flush more than one pen in a single day.

In fact, I feel a little thrill when I see that one of my pens is about to run out of ink. That evening, I go through the ritual of flushing it with water and putting the nib in a special dish of distilled water for the night. Then the next day the nib goes into a little box, lined with paper town, where it rests for a day or two. In the meantime, I've inked up another pen, and the cycle continues.

Between two I carry in my pocket, daily journaling, and daily handwriting practice, if I can't use every inked pen at least once in the day, then I have too many out at one time. Every inked pen needs at least one doodle a day. If I have to go out of my way to make a doodle, then there's too many inked up -- either use one up or dump it into the sink or back into the bottle (I have to add some lube into a few and I won't risk contamination -- same with vintage pens, since I can't take them apart to flush them thoroughly, I won't risk contaminating the ink). I'm neurotic about ink clogs, so none sit. And I've got a scratch pad next to where all the pens sit so they can be doodled.

Two pens inked, 1 regular, 1 permanent. When the regular runs out of ink, clean it & put it away. Ink up a new pen with a new ink. I have abt 35 pens & over a 100 inks & have 2 more ink orders coming. Still have abt 10 pens waiting for their 1st inking.

As I mentioned in another thread I only own ink samples. I have ordered two bottles of Pelican /Edelstein Aquamarine but the have yet to arrive and I have already more than 20 pens. Most are inexpensive schoolpens and some Chinese and I have quite a number inked up. I write with every pen, every single day, One more than the other but in general...all of them.The inexpensive pens that is.

My other pens don't come out to play very often except for the Ebonite with a broad nib.

I also keep a Papermate standby to try new inks.

I am not a pen collector. I don't own any vintage pens and I don't think I ever will.

Select 6 pens and 6 inks (1 blue, 1 black, 1 green, etc).

When a pen runs dry, rotate in another pen and ink.

If you decide you really like a combination of pen/ink, then make that combination permanent and don't rotate it out. Make it one of the 6 pens, or a 7th pen.

This way you always have a pen free for new inks.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Select 6 pens and 6 inks (1 blue, 1 black, 1 green, etc).

When a pen runs dry, rotate in another pen and ink.

If you decide you really like a combination of pen/ink, then make that combination permanent and don't rotate it out. Make it one of the 6 pens, or a 7th pen.

This way you always have a pen free for new inks.

This is actually a great idea. Currently I have about 12 inked. This seems to be a few to many. I rarely use more than 6-8 in any given day and many days it is 2-6. (I have about 25 or so pens) I normally keep 8-10 inked, but it is a bit high right now. I like to keep at least one in each nib size inked.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I'm with Tas. A few months ago, I decided I had somewhere between enough and too many pens and inks, and more or less stopped buying cold turkey. I'll buy a sample of ink now and then, but that's about it.

I like to keep three or four pens inked (partial fills) with different colors, and I try to rotate through most of my pens. I do enjoy using my pens and inks, but I think I also am at the point of having between enough and too many. I don't consider myself a collector, just a dabbler in a hobby and user. I've binged a little lately, am not at the point of wanting to purge yet, but I don't have my eye on any other pens to buy at present. Hopefully I'll just play with what I have (one is ordered but hasn't arrived) for some time to come. (Famous last words, I know.)

My own method is ultra deadly dull.

I exercise discipline.

I'm currently in a similar, if lesser situation than yours. I've got six pens inked, when I'd rather it was three or four, tops (one black, up to two during penitential seasons, and one or two colors, down to zero during penitential seasons). Two are being retired once they run dry. Two utterly new (to me) pens are awaiting their first use. A third is awaiting the discovery of a really dry ink in my wardrobe.

I have close to 50 pens at present. I used to keep them all inked, but I've since cleaned and stored many of them I wasn't using regularly, and have started writing the others dry, save for a few daily users that I take with me when I leave the house. When I hit the number I'm happy with having inked, I'll continue writing them dry, cleaning and storing those and pulling one out of storage to take its place in rotation.

It works for me so far.

This is pretty much what I do, only with fewer pens. I usually will only make a partial fill of test inks. and CRV inks.