Montblanc 114 Having Problems

Custom

I recently recieved a Montblanc 114 Meisterstück Platinum Line Hommage à W.A. Mozart as a gift. It's a nice metal pen with a smooth 14k nib, and does not feel flimsy like other Montblancs. However, I noticed a hard starting problem that can only be fixed by writing on very cheap absorbent paper, no Rhodia or anything ike that. The broad nib on the pen is very wet and causes feathering on cheap paper. Yes, I have checked the tine alignment. Is there any way to fix the pen without voiding the warranty? Thank you to anyone who answers.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Custom

• CS388

• Tom Kellie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is that an oblique nib on your pen?

~ Very good question.

Looking at the photos, that's quite a different sort of B nib.

As it happens, I write with the exact same pen, but mine has an EF nib.

It has never had any difficulties in starting, nor has it ever skipped.

I hope that Custom will obtain practical answers to resolve the issue.

Tom K.

I don't think it is oblique, just the way the light catches the nib.

I am interested in this thread as sold my platinum Mozart due to hard starts and other issues. The gold one I had before was much better, but they have since been discontinued. I'd also like to find one with the same Broad nib but in gold trim.

There was a <B> sticker on the pen when I got it, but it is definitely a stub. Not oblique, though. I also find that the hardstart problem gets worse when I write using a low angle.

Edited by Custom

Is the pen brand new? Are you its first user?

The pen was purchased at a MB annual sale, it is in pristine condition. Because of the problem, I carry this pen around for the white star on top and write with my Custom 74 or Waterman 52 1/2v.

I would send it to MB service if the problem does not resolve itself in two or three weeks.

In the meantime I'd write with it a lot. The cause MIGHT be oils from the manufacturing process inhibiting ink flow. Those will be washed out by MB ink. After a few weeks of regular use this problem might disappear.

Nonetheless, the pen should perform flawlessly right out of the box. You're certainly within your rights to send it to them right away. Include a writing sample and an explanation of how it is misbehaving.

Edited by meiers

• 2 weeks later...

As of yesterday, the problem has not resolved itself.

The nib had severe Baby's Bottom.

The pen was a floor sample in a store. Sending it to MB was not possible.

This only left one option.

Using 10000 grit sandpaper and my (lack of) fountain pen skills, I reground the nib on a $530 pen. Fortunately, the result was a pen that was perfectly fit my writing style.

As of yesterday, the problem has not resolved itself.

The nib had severe Baby's Bottom.

The pen was a floor sample in a store. Sending it to MB was not possible.

This only left one option.

Using 10000 grit sandpaper and my (lack of) fountain pen skills, I reground the nib on a $530 pen. Fortunately, the result was a pen that was perfectly fit my writing style.

Yikes!

Glad it worked out, though.

I think I'd have gone down the 'much flushing and long soaks' route, first?

You still can, if the hard starts continue. And flush some ink through, too - to fully soak the feed.

Not quite sure why MB wouldn't honour service, if it was a new pen? Floor sample or not.

Your nib DIY may have voided any warranty, since. But, I'm pleased you got it fixed.

Well done. Post a picture, if you can.

Enjoy.

OK, I'm done.

I let someone borrow the pen, but they returned it after saying the usual "it doesn't write!" that I often get from n00bs. Except that time, it didn't write. I could not tell what was wrong with the pen until I got home, at which point I looked at it under a magnifying glass. There is a little gap between the tines, and the ink just flows right back up the nib every time the tines spread on the paper. And of course, those MB won't take it. What do I do? I hope I can save my great pen...

I usually don't let other people use my fountain pens.

I'd contact a nibmeister or mb service.

Go the warranty route first. You do have a purchase receipt for the pen, right?

A nib adjustment isn't expensive if warranty service is out of the question.

Edited by meiers

The pen was purchased at a MB annual sale, it is in pristine condition. Because of the problem, I carry this pen around for the white star on top and write with my Custom 74 or Waterman 52 1/2v.

IT IS UNDER WARRANTY. DO YOU HAVE DOCUMENTATION OF THE PURCHASE?

OK, I'm done.

I let someone borrow the pen, but they returned it after saying the usual "it doesn't write!" that I often get from n00bs. Except that time, it didn't write. I could not tell what was wrong with the pen until I got home, at which point I looked at it under a magnifying glass. There is a little gap between the tines, and the ink just flows right back up the nib every time the tines spread on the paper. And of course, those MB won't take it. What do I do? I hope I can save my great pen...

Have you got a Montblanc receipt? If so, get back onto them and insist that they (at least) look at your pen.

Failing that, a professional nib-technician will get your pen up and running, quickly. Prices vary, of course, but for straigtforward tune-up work, it's usually reasonable. Not sure which country you're in? Let us know and someone will point you in the right direction.

Good luck.