Rhodia Dot Grid Vs Rhodia Lined

LizEF

I've been using Rhodia Dot Grid paper for some time, and just got some lined Rhodia (the white, regular paper, not the cream premium paper). From descriptions, I thought they would be the same - they're the same weight, both white, both "classic". But it seems to me the dot grid paper is smoother than the lined. Is it my imagination? Does anyone else have experience with both?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• fugel

• Bookman

• Witsius

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't tried lined, but have used blank and dot and grid. I don't recall a significant difference. Some sort of batch difference maybe?

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks for replying.

I haven't tried lined, but have used blank and dot and grid. I don't recall a significant difference. Some sort of batch difference maybe?

Could be. Under a microscope, the lined looks slightly more fibrous (?). Maybe it's also the size - I only have small lined pads - am still pondering whether to get larger... I also need to try a wider variety of pens and see what that tells me, but I go through them slowly, so it could take a while...

I don't have normal lined Rhodia, but one thing I can say is that the dot pad definitely feels softer than Clairfontaine, Black N Red, and Optik Oxford.

I like the feel of dotpad best of all as they can take the edge of any super fine pens and make every fountain pen an absolute pleasure to write with..

Edited by Bluey

I have experienced the same with Rhodia blank and Rhodia lined, both behave differently. Blank notebooks are smoother and I prefer how inks behave here. But this is not only concerning with Rhodia: on Midori MD notebooks this is more evident, lined MD notebooks are notably different than blanks. Inks look more saturated and crisp on the blank ones while in lined, they look like muted. I don't know if this is because during the printing process something changes the paper. So, I stopped using lined notebooks and now I only use blank or dot grid notebooks.

Edited by ubezahn

I have experienced the same with Rhodia blank and Rhodia lined, both behave differently. Blank notebooks are smoother and I prefer how inks behave here. But this is not only concerning with Rhodia: on Midori MD notebooks this is more evident, lined MD notebooks are notably different than blanks. Inks look more saturated and crisp on the blank ones while in lined, they look like muted. I don't know if this is because during the printing process something changes the paper. So, I stopped using lined notebooks and now I only use blank or dot grid notebooks.

Interesting, ubezahn. If they made grid paper as pale as the dots in a dot-pad, I'd try that, but the grid is too dark on Rhodia for my use. I may have to learn to write straighter lines on the dot-grid - I can't seem to write straight lines without a solid baseline... :blush: :rolleyes:

I use a template with 8mm lines to write on blank Midori MD notebooks with Japanese F nibs (mostly Pilots). It is not as comfortable as writing freely but after a while I have noticed that my handwriting has been improved a little concerning with straighter lines when I don't use the template (when I am out of home or not journalling). I use mainly Rhodia and Midori MD notebooks, Midori refill #13 on Traveller's notebook and occasionally Seven Seas blank notebooks too. I like Tomoe River paper but it is not my favorite. Btw, has someone noticed differences between lined and blank Seven Seas notebooks? I never tried the lined version.

Edited by ubezahn

I've found Rhodia dot paper and blank paper to be smoother than the ruled. Rhodia dot is my go-to paper these days.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I've noticed the same thing. There are differences in Rhodia papers that one might expect to be more homogenous, and I'm not sure exactly what the pattern is. They are all great papers, but yes, I've noticed a difference between the DOT and the lined as well as a differences between some of the lined pads.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

I've noticed the same thing. There are differences in Rhodia papers that one might expect to be more homogenous, and I'm not sure exactly what the pattern is. They are all great papers, but yes, I've noticed a difference between the DOT and the lined as well as a differences between some of the lined pads.

Thanks for confirming I'm not imagining it. :)

I prefer Rhodia's ruled paper over their dot grid because the letters of my cursive script do not fall neatly into the squares suggested by the grid. As far as texture or colour is concerned, ruled & dot grid seem similar. I also like the margin in the ruled A5 or larger pads.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)