Sailor Slip 'n' Seal ?

dcwaites

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I came across this while browsing Rakuten --

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/penroom/item/34664/?s-id=borderless_recommend_item_en

More specifically, this image --

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/penroom/cabinet/pent/34664_img01.jpg

Has Sailor started to offer the equivalent to Platinum's Slip 'n' Seal caps in their pens?

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ItsMeDave

• Algester

• Pactagon

• Olya

Hello DC,

I don't know because I can't read Japanese, but if the old Chinese proverb is true and a picture speaks a thousand words... I would say "yes." :D

- Anthony

@DavidW,

Very interesting, thank you...

Platinum's Slip & Seal cap liner is Patent Pending. Here is Platinum's English language page explaining all about the Slip & Seal mechanism complete with photographs and graphs:

http://platinumpenusa.com/slip-seal-cap/

As far as I know, to-date the Slip & Seal cap liner appears only in Platinum's #3776 Series Century model pens. Comparing the picture in your post with one of my Platinum #3776 Century pens (a Bourgogne) reveals that the clip is very similar, but not an identical match, while the feed and finial designs are quite different. So the pen in the picture is very likely not a Platinum pen by mistake. It might be a Sailor pen, then again maybe it is some sort of Chinese copy? Hmmm...

Perhaps Sailor licensed the Slip & Seal design from Platinum. Or maybe Sailor is betting that Platinum's Slip & Seal Patent Application will be rejected, otherwise I doubt Sailor would just outright copy the design.

Why don't you Email the advertisement to Sailor along with the link to Plantinum's Slip & Seal Web page and ask them what's going on? Here is Sailor's contact information:

http://sailorpen.com/contact.html

Best Regards, David in Jakarta

Edited by Drone

If I remember correctly, the spring-loaded inner cap is part of the Sailor KOP and Realo pens. I'm not sure when Sailor began using the system. The KOP was released in 2003 after all.

@drone

The pen is a Sailor Realo and is offered as an exclusive to pen-house. It is definitely not a Chinese copy. Pen-house also has a few other exclusive Sailor pens in their storefront.

The Sailor Promenade also has the slip & seal mechanism, that was discussed here a while ago. As the patent is pending, either they can just use it, or as it usually works, the patent holder gets paid and then you can use the same mechanism. Would not call that a rip off or fake, otherwise only Waterman would be allowed to have cartridge pens or whoever else did it first or only BIC could produce oil based pens etc. The slip & seal mechanism, whilst great, isn't that hard to do (I think), as it's "just" an inner cap and in some (Platinum's & Sailor's) pens also a spring mechanism. Btw, Platinum has the s&s in other pens as well, even the Preppy, so it's not an "expensive pen feature" solely. I think it's great that other manufaturers offer this technique, to me it's an advancement..

I can confirm that my ProGear REALO has a slip n seal type inner cap. A friend of mine has the KOP Demonstrator and it has the slip n seal cap too. It makes the capping quite smooth

Instagram: @Pactagon

I can confirm that my ProGear REALO has a slip n seal type inner cap. A friend of mine has the KOP Demonstrator and it has the slip n seal cap too. It makes the capping quite smooth

I can second this, I've owned my PG Realo for 6-7 months and could tell that the cap screwed on differently from my 1911L's, but just now confirmed the presence of a spring behind the inner cap.

I noticed the spring action in my 1911 Realo - it makes a strange noise when capping, like there is sand in the threads.

I prefer the conventional soft plastic seal.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I noticed the spring action in my 1911 Realo - it makes a strange noise when capping, like there is sand in the threads.

I prefer the conventional soft plastic seal.

My squeaked for a while, fine now.