Presidential Fountain Pens

Sharingtimeagain

This might be a newbie observation but it looks like President Trump is signing will a fountain pen. Is that usual presidential practice? If so its really cool.

EDIT

Ladies and gentlemen. Let's keep this a-political.

I have had to remove several remarks that were (partly) political. (funny and not so)

We know people get politically emotional these days, but please keep that out of your FPN posts.

D.ick

Edited by RMN

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• maus930

• CAG_1787

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was under the impression that with the volume of pens, the fact that they are written with once and then likely never again, and the obvious desire to not have skips or hard-starts on legal, public documents, that FP's are not used.

Cross obviously has a long-standing relationship with the Office of the President, so I doubt it would change on Day 1.

I wonder when Nathan Tardif might have a Trump-themed ink.

Ball points..............well any comments on that is not political.....but Ball Points. :wacko: :unsure: :crybaby: :gaah: :wallbash:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have 2 Presidential pens, both are Cross Townsend rollerball pens in black. One was used by George W. Bush, and the other by Barack Obama to sign some legislation. I got the pens from our former Senator from Michigan, Sen. Carl Levin's office.

Wow, Wolverine! Nice!

I watched the Inauguration activities all day and saw the signing video several times. I at first thought they looked like fountain pens :) , but there was a brief close-up and it looked like a roller ball to me, but the writing is very, very broad.

I've read in several sources that, as many have already posted, the recent Presidents have generally used Cross pens for signatures. (Yes, BoBo, probably ballpoints all.)

Edit to say THANKS to the mods for keeping this non-political. I also love train travel and try to participate in an Amtrak forum, but the regulars there are obnoxiously political to a degree that often ruins the experience.

Edited by crescent2

Ball points..............well any comments on that is not political.....but Ball Points. :wacko: :unsure: :crybaby: :gaah: :wallbash:

Agreed. If there's any formal setting a fountain pen should be present, it's in a nation's capital; Inked up with Noodler's Bulletproof Black I would personally add.

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

Wow, Wolverine! Nice!

I watched the Inauguration activities all day and saw the signing video several times. I at first thought they looked like fountain pens :) , but there was a brief close-up and it looked like a roller ball to me, but the writing is very, very broad.

I've read in several sources that, as many have already posted, the recent Presidents have generally used Cross pens for signatures. (Yes, BoBo, probably ballpoints all.)

Edit to say THANKS to the mods for keeping this non-political. I also love train travel and try to participate in an Amtrak forum, but the regulars there are obnoxiously political to a degree that often ruins the experience.

It does look like a broad tip. Almost like a faux calligraphy pen. Marker whatever the proper term is. Thingy people make letters with.

Here is Trump signing up close. So can see pen clearly.

Yes, that's definitely a felt-tip; which makes a lot of sense for making a smooth, fluid signature with a pen that will never snag or require any maintenance.

- Anthony

I was thinking it was a felt-tipped Cross Townsend - but seemingly broad, and endures a distinct bearing down when writing. I was kind of impressed with the pen's performance [i know that's nerdy sounding]. In any event I'm going to look for one. Although, I've been a Flair user for about fives decades. Hmmm ... is there a thread about the best felt-tip pen?

CFTPM

I was thinking it was a felt-tipped Cross Townsend - but seemingly broad, and endures a distinct bearing down when writing. I was kind of impressed with the pen's performance [i know that's nerdy sounding]. In any event I'm going to look for one. Although, I've been a Flair user for about fives decades. Hmmm ... is there a thread about the best felt-tip pen?

Ah, if you've been using Flairs that long, you must remember when you get them in cool colors; the ones I remember from the '70s are: black, blue, red, green, brown, dark turquoise/(light blue), olive green, gray, pink and yellow.

I know they've made some of those old colors available again, but only in sets... I remember when they could be bought individually. :)

I like felt-tips, but they often bleed through cheaper papers... I wonder how that Cross one performs? I wouldn't mind getting one, either.

- Anthony

Great close up shot!

I've got a Nixon signer from the early 70's that's felt-tip (Parker) but thought Presidents had all moved to rollerball's at this point.

Ah, if you've been using Flairs that long, you must remember when you get them in cool colors; the ones I remember from the '70s are: black, blue, red, green, brown, dark turquoise/(light blue), olive green, gray, pink and yellow.

I know they've made some of those old colors available again, but only in sets... I remember when they could be bought individually. :)

I like felt-tips, but they often bleed through cheaper papers... I wonder how that Cross one performs? I wouldn't mind getting one, either.

- Anthony

Yup. I remember, and back then I would get them at the local stationary store which was next to the local post office, record shop, grocery store, candy and ice cream store, bakery, deli, cobbler, hardware, package store, church, etc, etc. And, just old enough to begin driving American muscle cars. Flairs rank right up there with Crayolas and Play Doh. It's good to be my age. A Flair, FP, MP, and BP = EDC.

CFTPM