The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Proper Feed & Section For Flexible Mt Ny #6 (Not Eternal, No Swan Branding)?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Synnove

Synnove

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:48

I recently happened in to a massive and flexible MT #6 nib. However, aside from dipping (which is do-able as it fits almost perfectly in to my Fairchild #8 holders, indicating it's a 7mm size), I don't have anything to do with it.

I've been looking for feeds and sections to house the thing and have only come across "eternal" feeds; will a #6 eternal feed work for a non-eternal nib? Additionally, there seems to be two styles:

http://www.artofpen....-and-parts.html

or

http://www.fivestarp...-pen-parts.html

The latter version seems to have more ladders/is a more modern design. However, since my nib has no Swan marking, I assume it's of older manufacture and therefore would work best with the former version? Or does it make a difference?

Sponsored Content

#2 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:59

As you are in the USA, I assume that your nib is stamped Mabie Todd & Co New York?  I would guess that the second of your two choices which looks like a classic American Swan feed would be suitable, though I daresay that the first one would be OK.

I must say that the price for the first one is very reasonable.

I have here a big Swan Leverless - L645/60 that would have had a Swan 6 nib.  It is fitted with an Onoto 4 which fits the Swan 6 feed perfectly!

Cob

Edited by Cob, 20 January 2017 - 13:01.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#3 Synnove

Synnove

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 19:59

Correct it is of NY manufacture:

3z2IFLL.jpg

#4 Lelouch

Lelouch

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:05

Though not of Swan manufacture, I have found that the feed of the neponset (a wetter version of the ahabs feed) fits well with a ventless #6 nib from mabie Todd, within the section of an ASA Nauka. I've also put a Warranted #6 with an Ahabs feed into a Ratnamson Supreme (though in that case the section needed to be heated and made to conform to them since it was slightly loose).

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|