Visconti Steel Nib Is Too Broad :(

ching1202

Hi everyone.

I recently purchase a Visconti Van Gogh (Fine nib), which is supposed to replace Pilot Metropolitan (Fine) as my daily pen.

But sometimes the Visconti has hard start issue, and is too broad and wet comparing to Pilot MR in Fine or Medium Nib (both using Sailor Ultra-Black ink). I do love the look of this pen very much. I'm considering customization service although this is just a steel nib pen. Does anyone have any advice, or cust. provider recommendation for me?

Edited by ching1202

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ching1202

• Tas

• Honeybadgers

• TheLostOne

Shh. I popped a Pilot Custom 91 F nib into my Visconti and it blew the original nib out of the water. The combination of the two is marvellous.

It was a straight swap, no issues. I use the Visconti nib in the Pilot now and I have a much nicer "Pilonti" :)

I'm not certain if the Metropolitan's nib will fit. Give it a gentle try. You never know . . .

Edited by Tas

Such a creative idea :lol:

I think Pilot MR's nib is a little smaller than Visconti and won't fit. Also, another reason I pick Visconti is because of the nice pattern on the nib.

Patterns are nice, granted but they need to write well too.

Shame about your Pilot MR nib not fitting.

The Vsconti is such a beautiful pen that you simply must remedy the issue. Any competent nibmeister will happily fix a baby's bottom. Have you tried contacting the reseller? I'm sure they would be keen to keep you as a customer.

Best of luck.

I didn't contact the retailer. I doubt they would allow returning for "not very often" hard start issue. I think I would look for grinding service. Hope they can help.

Do you happen to know any? :)

Well unfortunately you have now experienced the difference between nib grading of Japanese and European pen makers. There is really no remedy to this that you can quickly hack if you want to retain both the Visconti pen and nib combo.

Couple suggestions

1. Send it in to Coles and get them to swap the Fine nib for an Extra Fine.

2. Send it to a nibmeister to get it ground down to a Japanese Fine.

It also sounds like the nib is over polished or has a little bit of a baby's bottom, which is VERY typical for Viscontis. If you just get some very fine grit polishing papers from some of the pen retailers in the US, and do some figure 8s and loops, you'll polish the baby's bottom out.

Edited by gerigo

Baby bottom seems your problem.....and the nib don't work all the time.....return it!

A nib is supposed to work All the Time.

Or one could buy a ball point. :angry:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I did some research today. Seems baby bottom is a common issue on Visconti pen. Also, I bought it from a small local store which doesn't have a very....satisfying returning policy. I'm afraid even a new one would have the same issue

I'm currently looking for a nibmeister. hoping he can grind it finer and solve the baby bottom at the same time

As noted above, European nibs have gotten fatter. Compared with vintage nibs from the 60s or earlier, they are a size wider.

Visconti is at the extreme end of this. IMO, Visconti nibs are almost 2 sizes wider.

Combined with their soft, large nibs, or unique materials (such as Palladium in their Dreamtouch nibs) the effect is further magnified. Their pens lay down a lot of ink. I would describe their EF nibs between a fine and medium.

This is just how they are - I guess intentionally. They have beautiful Italian design. The ones I have feel nice in my hand. They work (an improvement - 10 years ago they frequently required a repair trip when new - there was always some issue with their function). Since I own quite a few of them, I must like them.

I haven't noticed a baby's bottom problem with any of my recent purchases. I tune my own nibs, and I usually reset the tines closer together, heat set the (plastic) feed closer to the nib. If I really think its too fat, I will thin it down.

If you send it to the factory for repair/adjustment, it will probably get a nice vacation in sunny Italy, and take a while to return. It might write better, but will still be a wider line than what you want. So sending it to someone who knows what they are doing might be the best idea, even though it will cost.

Comparison with Japanese nibs is probably not a good idea - I don't think a Visconti pen will ever write like a Namiki or Sailor. They just start from completely different ideas about how a pen should work. I really like the fine nibs on Japanese pens, even the cheap ones. I just wouldn't expect them to be anything like an Italian pen.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

So this may be my expectation vs reality problem only.

I like visconti pen because of its appearance and I happened to need a steel nib pen for my daily use. I didn't pay too much attention on its size until I actually bought it :(

Yesterday, I have sent my pen to a nibmeister for grinding already. I hope it can fit my expectation when it comes back (if USPS doesn't lose it)

Although it does writes very smoothly, I may not buy another visconti pen in the future.

Mike Matsuyama at Mike-it-Work does wonders with these overly wet Visconti nibs!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 2 years later...

Shh. I popped a Pilot Custom 91 F nib into my Visconti and it blew the original nib out of the water. The combination of the two is marvellous.

It was a straight swap, no issues. I use the Visconti nib in the Pilot now and I have a much nicer "Pilonti" :)

I'm not certain if the Metropolitan's nib will fit. Give it a gentle try. You never know . . .

What? How? Which Visconti. Please show pictures! :D

I have the PCH 91 and I am considering getting a Visconti.

I didn't contact the retailer. I doubt they would allow returning for "not very often" hard start issue. I think I would look for grinding service. Hope they can help.

Do you happen to know any? :)

A hard start is a hard start. the pen's got a problem. Are you in the USA? Coles of london will take care of you if it's within 30 days (they only cover nibs that long) If not, the vendor will usually work with you (jetpens can really screw you over but folks like Goulet and Anderson and Vanness will take care of you like family)

baby's bottom is easily cured with a buff stick, but grinding it finer requires a professional's touch. That said, for any pen north of $150, a re-grind is absolutely worth the cost when it results in a pen custom tuned to you, which will really amaze. I've got a few that I don't want to have ground until I take them to a pen show so I can have them really custom personalized. (a MB 149 that is very very dry in particular) a Custom ground nib to your exact preferences is a night and day experience from any other factory nib. My custom nibs are far and away my favorite in my collection.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

A pilot CH91 nib will fit in some #5 nibs. I've put one in a noodlers charlie out of curiosity. I'm presuming any midi sized visconti will take the #5 pilot. The only thing that makes that nib so annoyingly proprietary is that pilot put two little crimps in the back. Otherwise it's a straight up #5, and some feeds will accept it (some can be trimmed to fit as well with a gentle hand and a razor blade)

I just tried jamming a SF from my 91 into my delike alpha. tight fit but it's in there nicely. If I didn't already have a picture perfect nib in that pen (an old EF eversharp 14k manifold with a patina that perfectly matches the brass) I'd probably leave it in there, since the delike is my most used pen.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

My visconti broad needed work too but its great now. I dont find it too broad tho... Esp compared to my new lamy 2000. Its way broad...more like a marker vs a pen. I am considering have it ground down

Better late than never.

My beautiful Visconti Music - excellent balance, size, feel, comfort for me. Sadly found the nib too broad so swapped it out for the springy and deliciously fine Pilot Custom 91 F and it works a treat.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_visconti_music_with_pilot_custom_91_nib.jpeg

Better late than never.

My beautiful Visconti Music - excellent balance, size, feel, comfort for me. Sadly found the nib too broad so swapped it out for the springy and deliciously fine Pilot Custom 91 F and it works a treat.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_visconti_music_with_pilot_custom_91_nib.jpeg

Your pen looks beautiful! <3

Your pen looks beautiful! <3

Thank you.

I think Visconti have a knack for making pens look beautiful :wub: