Platinum Guarantees Their Pigment Ink In The #3776: Is It Safe Though?

matteob

Despite Platinum saying their pigment ink is safe in this pen I am still a bit lairy about it as my ink supplier recommends flushing pens with each use after using this pen? Does anyone use the pigment and carbon inks as their daily ink and does the ink stay safe in the pen if you leave it? Does that top thing work? I don't want to risk damaging my new and beautiful Bourgogne!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matteob

• ethernautrix

• Pactagon

• JunkyardSam

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had no problems with Sailor SeiBoku (pigment blue-black) in my Pilot Kakuno. The ink has been in there for about a month now and it still writes fine. If it does clog up just flush it until it flows again or pull out the feed to clean it.

Instagram: @Pactagon

I've been using Platinum Carbon Black in a Pilot CH912 (PO) for several months now, and while I have noticed a couple of hard starts (after a few days of not using this pen, cos of the many others inked and used), i simply held the nib under the tap for a few seconds, dried it with a paper towel, and then -- the ink flowed as easily as before.

I am wary of using this otherwise excellent ink, so I pay closer attention to pen hygiene with the Pilot. I used Noodler's Black, for instance, in a few Nakayas and hardly ever flush with clear water between filling -- as long as I'm not changing the ink (brand or color), then I don't even think about flushing with water. (I eventually change something, so the pens do get cleaned, probably more regularly than I realize.)

However, whenever I use Platinum Carbon Black, I make sure to flush between filling (except that I didn't with this Pilot, which might explain why there was a bit of a hard start) (my usual habit it to fill a pen with PCB, feel some concern about the ink, clean the pen after I've used up the fill (or right before then), and I haven't felt the compunction to stop using PCB in the Pilot, because the combination is perfect).

I'd say that I've filled the pen four times and flushed it only once, which was the most recent filling, about last week.

I have noticed that this ink leaves a residue on the underside of nibs, so I use this ink with pens with easily-removable nib sections that I can clean in an ultrasonic cleaner. I've used it in Danitrio pens, and when done with the fill of ink, I've pulled the nibs out and scrubbed them and the feeds with a soft toothbrush to remove the residue.

I guess that's why it's considered a high-maintenance ink. (*Laughs*)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Bulletproof/waterproof/archival/etc. comes with a price. Pens are more difficult to clean. Luckily your 3776 Century disassembles easily if there is ever an issue! The nib and feel pulls right out just like a Metropolitan.

I've been using Noodlers bulletproof inks for about 2 years now. They're different than your Platinum ink but probably similar in terms of maintenance. They tend to accumulate a bit around the nib in ways that simpler fountain pen inks do not. And they leave a coating and sometimes stain my converters.

I'm particularly careful about clear demonstrators. I have an Ahab that is now a gross yellowish brown.... looks like a pen from the 70s due to staining. Colored demonstrators are protected from this issue, but I only use black in my Pilot Custom 92.

I think you'll be fine with your ink. Also, one of the great features of a 3776 Century is that the slip & seal mechanism will help protect your pen from drying out even when not in use! But if you love yours as much as I love mine... it'll be in use. =)

PS. I use a bulb syringe to flush my pens section. Get one if you don't have one!. Also I use a 10ml blunt syringe -- great for blasting water into a converter to clean it out.

PS #2. I only remove the nib & feed when necessary which is rare, but it's nice to know you can.

Thanks for all your feedback :) Is the bit of feedback from the nib a standard trait on this pen?

Edited by matteob

Thanks for all your feedback :) Is the bit of feedback from the nib a standard trait on this pen?

yes, it has a very unique feedback and feel to it. I could probably tell I was writing with a Platinum Century 3776 just from the nib feedback.

I have been using the Platinum Pigment Blue ink in a number of pens (Platinum and Pilot) for some months now, and have not had any problems at all with it.

I have not had enough experience with the Platinum Carbon ink (only one cartridge, and that was in a dodgy pen, anyway) to make a suitable comment.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I use Platinum's Pigment Blue exclusively in one of my 5 Centuries. The nanopigment ink works on poor paper, flows perfectly from my pens, and hasn't dried out once with the cap on these pens. I give the pen the care I give all of my pens, and I haven't had a problem with Pigment Blue in about 5 years.

I only use nanopigments in my Japanese pens (Sailor and Platinum), and I try to keep them with their brand of pen. If you like Platinum's line, also take a look at Sailor's line of inks.

Buzz