Quick Drying But Dark?

kingofdads

Hi Guys, I am new here ( I have been reading but not posting for ages ).

I have finally taken the plunge into the amazing world of fountain pens however i have hit an early stumbling ground and am asking for your help.

Pen: I have a new Mont Blanc Le Grand Fountain with a fine nib ( my writing is quite small )

paper: I ordered an amazing notebook from Japan http://design-y.near-mint.com/, and I love it

Ink: I bought the Mont Blanc Permanent Black

Whilst I love everything I have purchased I am finding that the ink is taken ages to dry on the pages, like upwards of a minute sometimes which as you can imagine is not practical.

Therefore I am asking for advice as to perhaps a better ink to use? I like dark blue or dark black thats why i bought the one i did, however i am open to suggestions thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingofdads

• oldrifleman

• Inkquest

• cattar

Top Posters In This Topic

:W2FPN:

Hi,

Kindly consider Noodler's Q'Ternity for ultra-short dry times.

Pilot Blue-Black is another option, especially if enhanced water resistance is desired:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20Blue-Black/7e0ac9a1.jpg

Bye,

S1

__ __

Note: Smear / Dry Time

• Being right-handed, I usually do not have a problem with S/DT. Indeed, I was taken aback by the rather long S/DT of some inks I have used for years, without even noticing such a 'problem'. (Same with water resistance.) I am blonde, but no poking the fun, OK?
  • There is no 'standard' for an acceptable S/DT. And any arbitrary number would be rather meaningless due to variables of pen, paper, atmospheric conditions, ad infinitum. All I can say is that I make an effort to be consistent, so results are relative; hence may show trends and relationships.
  • I have chosen to draw the numeral '4' rather than down strokes. I like to think that the varying amount of ink put down in each direction of travel, ↓ ↙ →, and two 'ink pools' that seem to occur at the end of my lines, are more representative of practical use.
  • The '4' was written every five seconds from right to left - a countdown mode if you will - then a clean finger was run over the row with sufficient force to emulate making a soft fold, not a [origami] crease.
Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thank you I am very interested in trying Noodler's Q'Ternity, does anyone know if there is a uk stockist?

Also the mont blanc ink i am using is this considered very slow drying?

Those notebooks use Tomoe River paper. Inks are slow to very dry on this paper. Adding water to the ink in each pen fill helps.

Some Noodler inks don't dry completely.

I prefer Sailor & Platinum inks in modern pens.

Lots of ink reviews on fpn.

Montblanc, black, dark...

Edited to add

Reviews if Noodlers, too. And papers.

Edited by cattar

You are using an absolutely top-class notebook, and are to be commended on your good taste in paper, pens, and inks.

I agree with Sandy1's recommendation of Pilot Blue-Black. This ink should behave very well in your notebook. Another to consider is Pelikan Blue-Black, which dries very quickly and is quite popular around here for its water resistance. Others to consider: Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite, Platinum Blue-Black, Monteverde's new Blue-Black, etc. It seems a shame, however, not to take advantage of the Tomoe River paper in your notebook, which really shows off most of the more colorful inks.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I use the Noodlers Old Manhattan Blackest black and it works great in my pens and dries fairly quickly.

I use the Noodlers Old Manhattan Blackest black and it works great in my pens and dries fairly quickly.

Same here. This is by far and away my favorite black for use in modern pens. Perfect in my MB 146. I even use this to refill rollerball 'refills' for reuse. Works a charm. I don't use it in vintage sack/vacuum pens but prefer Skrip or Aurora black for those.

The paper (and nib wetness) can make a significant difference in dry times as well depending upon how much is absorbed vs floating on top, and obviously, how much ink is being laid down in the line.

Don't have any scientific measurements, for a dark brown Yama Guri seems to be my driest ink.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Same here. This is by far and away my favorite black for use in modern pens. Perfect in my MB 146. I even use this to refill rollerball 'refills' for reuse. Works a charm. I don't use it in vintage sack/vacuum pens but prefer Skrip or Aurora black for those.

The paper (and nib wetness) can make a significant difference in dry times as well depending upon how much is absorbed vs floating on top, and obviously, how much ink is being laid down in the line.

May I ask why you shy away from using it in vintage pens?

May I ask why you shy away from using it in vintage pens?

Sure. Some Nooder's super saturated colors have been known purported to shorten sac life with longer term use. I no longer use super saturated inks in sackers (PR, Diamine, Noodler's) except for very short term, and then only with a specific couple I just can't give up, e.g., Golden Brown, or Wagner.

Perhaps it's just a bit of paranoia on my part with the Old Manhattan concerning sac issues. The washables are definitely easier to clean out of a sac/vac pen than OM.

Edited by Inkquest

Modern inks, that are highly saturated colors, take longer to dry. I believe that some of the pigment remains on the surface, above the paper, to give a rich visual. Ink, that dissipates into the paper fibers, will disperse and evaporate the liquid carrier. Ink, that cannot penetrate the paper, may take hours to dry.

Remember that your stated goal is both ink AND paper dependent.

Good hunting !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !