Blues That Don't Stain Vintage Parker Sacs

crescent2

I just received a NOS Parker Super 21 pen. :wub: I want to use a blue ink in it, preferably DC Supershow Blue or perhaps Levenger Cobalt Blue unless they are likely to stain the sac. I've used these inks with no staining of converters, but I know the vintage Parker's sac is a different material. I also have a small sample of Diamine Blue Velvet which I like.

Are any of these likely to stain the Parker's sac?

I also like Iroshizuku Asa-gao, but in trying it in a few pens recently it did seem to leave one converter very lightly stained after just a few days, so I'm going to use something else in the 21S.

While I know staining won't affect the pen's performance, I'd rather keep the sac unstained as much as possible. Any suggestions for a good non-staining blue similar to the above? Thanks.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crescent2

• Olya

• Noihvo

• GJMekenkamp

I can't tell what inks won't stain the sac -- but I can almost guarantee that Sailor Sky High will. It stained a brand new Pliglass sac in one of my 51s. :o

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've always been told that the old standbys are always a good "safe" bet : Waterman, Quink, etc. Florida Blue is what I use in my old Snorkels and haven't had any issues with staining yet.

DCSS blue is likely to stain the plyglass sac in the P21.

I would NOT use ANY saturated ink, if you do not want to stain the sac.

I would recommend Parker Quink blue, follwed by Sheaffer blue, Waterman blue and Pelikan blue. Basically all light to mid tone inks. Though these inks may still stain the sac.

Then clean the pen often, so you can monitor the transparency/staining of the sac.

I use PR DCSS blue in my 51, but I don't care if it stains the sac.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks, all of you. I've thought about buying some Waterman Serenity Blue, but I actually like the more vibrant colored blues. I'm trying to convince myself I don't mind if the sac gets stained, but I'm not there yet. :mellow: Plus, I already have more ink than I can ever possibly use. I may try the little sample of Diamine Blue Velvet that I have and just do a partial fill, which is what I usually do anyway. I'm itching to write with my new pen! Of course, if the Blue Velvet doesn't stain too badly, then I'll need more of it. Oh well.

Any other suggestions or experiences to share?

Assuming this pen writes okay, I'm delighted I saw the post about Peyton Street Pens on FPN. The 21S looks almost like my little 1947 Demi 51's twin; well maybe a fraternal twin. I don't carry the 51 but I plan to put this one in the carry rotation.

Parker Quink blue or blue black would be my suggestions.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks, lots of recommendations for the Parker Quink. I've looked at it, but is it sort of a blah blue?

As for the pen, I did a partial fill of Levenger Cobalt and wrote two pages with it. (I pulled out my sample of Blue Velvet, but it was doing the "cling to the sides of the vial" thing, so I didn't try that ink.) I love this little pen! It wrote well with no hard starts or skips. It has a little bit of feedback but isn't scratchy no matter how the nib is turned. There was no staining, but the pen was only inked for an hour or two. The Cobalt was its usual deep color when written, so with this pen I might be able to use a medium blue to my satisfaction. Most of my medium-ish blues lean toward the teal side, though, and I want a true blue for this dark blue pen.

I pulled out all my blue ink samples, most of which I have a writing sample. Some are blue-black-grayish or just not blue enough, a couple lean toward turquoise or green, and a few might work--PR Sonic Blue, Visconti Blue. I suppose I need to do a tiny fill and try those in the pen.

What are your thoughts on those two as for staining? What about J. Herbin Sapphire? I've read that the Herbin inks are safe, whatever that means.

Also, I'm thinking about getting some of the Waterman Florida/Serenity Blue. Thoughts on it vs the Herbin? And is the Quink Blue blah?

Thanks-

Edited by crescent2

Parker Quink does have two blues, one Washable and one "Permanent" (though they now call it simply "Quink Blue" because it's not as permanent as the word makes you think), but the permanent is not easily obtainable everywhere and I suspect that they sell the washable version in some countries even though it's not supposed to be washable according to labels.

It is also widely assumed that these days Waterman and Quink are the same ink, just in different bottles and at different prices. So you could try Waterman's Serenity Blue, although some have experienced fading in closed books, which is not surprising, as it's marketed as "erasable" in France, and those like to fade, esp on bleached paper, just like Lamy Blue, Pelikan Royal Blue and similar (all inks that can be erased by the Pelikan Pirate or other ink erasers are prone to fading on some paper).

ETA: I can recommend you go with J Herbin Eclat de Saphir. Vibrant and safe (ie washes out easily, not known to stain or clog).

Edited by Olya

Parker Quink Washable Blue is indeed a little on the pale side.

Permanent Blue is quite vibrant in my opinion. I write with it every day and it still makes me happy :)

How hard is it to get the stains out? Can you use some of the cleaning inks to get out stains like we do for demonstrators?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'm always so amazed at all the knowledge available here! Many thanks.

Erasable inks? Cleaning inks for demonstrators? I'd never heard of these! Please tell me more.

Is it the Waterman Serenity Blue that's the same as one of the Quinks?

The Quink ink that I found at an online retailer just said "Quink Blue." I have no idea if it was the washable or the permanent.

I recently bought some Herbin Perle Noire, and I like that ink. I also have one of the cute little 10 ml bottles of Violette Pensee, and I like it too. I'm leaning toward ordering some Herbin Saphir for this pen, as suggested.

I tried my samples of Sonic Blue and Visconti Blue, just by dipping the pen, which isn't the best test, I know. The Sonic Blue was too dull. The Visconti Blue sample was clinging to the sides of the vial, so I'm not sure it would be any better about staining than what I already have, but the color was okay. Right now, I have a tiny bit of Irish Green in it. Go figure.

Iroshizuku Asa-Gao will stain a Parker "51" sac. This doesn't bother me.

Otherwise, ac12 gives good advice. I recommend the same inks if you wish to avoid staining, and I would also put in Mont Blanc Royal Blue.

Buzz

I'm always so amazed at all the knowledge available here! Many thanks.

Erasable inks? Cleaning inks for demonstrators? I'd never heard of these! Please tell me more.

Is it the Waterman Serenity Blue that's the same as one of the Quinks?

The Quink ink that I found at an online retailer just said "Quink Blue." I have no idea if it was the washable or the permanent.

I recently bought some Herbin Perle Noire, and I like that ink. I also have one of the cute little 10 ml bottles of Violette Pensee, and I like it too. I'm leaning toward ordering some Herbin Saphir for this pen, as suggested.

I tried my samples of Sonic Blue and Visconti Blue, just by dipping the pen, which isn't the best test, I know. The Sonic Blue was too dull. The Visconti Blue sample was clinging to the sides of the vial, so I'm not sure it would be any better about staining than what I already have, but the color was okay. Right now, I have a tiny bit of Irish Green in it. Go figure.

I'm not the best with chemistry either, but the erasable inks thing definitely has to do with the properties of an ink and the eraser. The eraser stinks to high heaven (went through who knows how many during school) and only affects some inks. Some inks get completely erased (namely German labelled Royal Blues (Königsblau) and English labelled Washable), whilst others just change colour a little and others stay unaffected.

You can read a bit about it and see a list of affected inks in the following links

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/23383-erasable-inks/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/6887-eradicable-inks-and-the-pelikan-super-pirat/

For inks that clean, you can search the terms "cleaner ink" or "cleaning ink". Some inks seem to clean out stains other inks have left behind.. Here's one of the threads discussing cleaning inks

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/297645-whats-your-cleaner-ink/

If the ink just says "Quink Blue" it should be permanent. But some people, esp in Asia I think, bought two bottles and both said the same but performed differently (one like washable & one like permanent). The Quink Blue I bought here in Europe does not change and I saw something I'd written a while ago and thought "goodness what a gorgeous blue ink!" only to see that I'd noted it was good old Quink Blue. No change in colour, fading etc. Whether Waterman's Serenity corresponds to the washable or permanent I do not know, but I have had Serenity fade and in France it is advertised as erasable (ie washable) for school kids.

Try it, if it fades (or doesn't) you'll know what you've got! Should it fade I wouldn't throw it away, you can mix it or use it as standard to try in new pens and the like, there is use for it!

Good luck in your inky quest!

Edited by Olya

Very helpful info; many thanks!

I ordered a bottle of Waterman Serenity Blue today. I looked at the Herbin Saphir, but decided I probably wouldn't like the purplish tint of it. I found Quink Blue on two more websites, but both of them specified it was the Washable Blue. I've not seen the Quink Permanent Blue anywhere yet.

I think Q Blue is hard to get in the US. You can order from the UK (if shipping is not too bad), I recommend The Writing Desk for instance http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/parkerpens.php

Depending on the pen and other colours around it J Herbin EdS can look slightly purplish or like a striking blue.

Though I'm sure many other inks will follow soon that Waterman Serenity Blue, it's par for the course :)

DC Supershow Blue is my favorite ink. I think the shade is "pure blue". I would not hesitate to use it in my vintage pens, and I do. I also use several other blues.

Enjoy your fountain pens. Enjoy your inks. When changing inks, rinse until the expelled water is clear.

Don't waste time looking inside the sac.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

More wise words; thanks!

The Herbin Saphir is probably at the top of the list for topping off some order to get free shipping. It will likely appear sooner or later. :)

The only reason I want to keep the Super 21's sac from staining too badly is that I want to be able to see the ink level clearly. I'm spoiled to transparent converters and clear demonstrator piston fillers, I guess. And, I like to do only partial fills because I like to change ink colors frequently. I always do flush my pens until clear; I'm still enough of a newbie that I actually enjoy it!

DC SS Blue and Kon-peki compete to be my #1. :wub:

Edited by crescent2