How Much Should I Expect To Pay For A Beater 149?

JoseyWales

I use fountain pens daily at work, they get scuffed, posted, scratched, dropped, etc. I am looking to add a 149 or two to the collection and would like to know what years/configurations would be most suited to daily use, for the most reasonable cost.

Effectively, as long as the pens function smoothly, I don't care for a certain nib or vintage.

Modern? Vintage? Fine? Bold?

Thanks.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoseyWales

• Chrissy

• zaddick

• Tom Kellie

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend you do a search on eBay to see what sort of prices you can find. However, you will end up spending a significant amount of money for a pen that will be 'scuffed, posted, scratched, dropped etc.' For a 'beater pen' that doesn't matter, just get the cheapest one you can find. The last thing you need is to spend more money on one of the more expensive versions. :)

I recommend you do a search on eBay to see what sort of prices you can find. However, you will end up spending a significant amount of money for a pen that will be 'scuffed, posted, scratched, dropped etc.' For a 'beater pen' that doesn't matter, just get the cheapest one you can find. The last thing you need is to spend more money on one of the more expensive versions. :)

Which would most likely be the least expensive version?

Post want to buy in classifieds please. It is against forum rules to do so here.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Common price for one in very clean condition $400.

If these are for daily use, why not consider a 146. They are much more manageable.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Post want to buy in classifieds please. It is against forum rules to do so here.

Ah. Sorry about that. Will post in the classifieds ... As soon as I learn how hahaha

Common price for one in very clean condition $400.

If these are for daily use, why not consider a 146. They are much more manageable.

Thanks for the info!

I would go 146, but I already have one! I am also looking for a 162 rollerball (I believe it's the same size as the 146).

OP- I see stories here about the "$100 149" so that's probably the lowest likely to happen unless dear old uncle so and so leaves you one in a drawer. I have not been so lucky for either one of those options.

On the US ebay I would say a minimum would be in the $250 to $300 range. You really do roll the dice on those pens. Many have needed work based on my experience.

If you move to the $350 range a new, unused pen from the 1980s or early 1990s is feasible. The ones with the fancy box and the ink bottle tend to fetch more.

Your pen is likely to be from the late 1970s to maybe early 2010s. The main difference in that range was the shift to brass piston threads in 1989. This put more weight towards the rear of the pen. You may or may not notice or care in everyday use.

If I were you I would look for a late 1970s pen. They have a 14C (not 14K) two tone nib, a split ebonite feed, and a one piece barrel (the joint is just above the threads after about 1984).

Also know that if you buy a broken pen with all the parts and a good nib and clip, MB will do a level 1 service for around $90 and replace all broken parts other than the nib and clip. So if you find a pen snapped in two for cheap enough, you can consider that.

M and F will be the most common nib sizes as they are the volume sellers. I would expect EF and B or up to earn extra interest on ebay and more bids. But you never know until you try. Ebay for other countries also have less traffic so you might do better there.

Happy hunting.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Seldom see 'beater' 149's these days. Now they're all polished up and offered as 'near mint'!

I bought a beater/fully working 149 for £120 - but that was 4 years (or so) ago. Quite heavily scratched and badly marked (bitten?) on the turnng knob. But complete and working. Ended up selling it (for a small profit) to fund another purchase.

I honestly haven't seen a rough one (suitably priced) for years.

Best chance is probably flea markets and small ads - as soon as sellers know what they've got (easy with the internet) the poilishing cloth comes out and the price goes north.

Good luck.

Zaddick and CS388 comments are right on the money, good sound advise, great to have members such as them

Edited by slippery when wet

I am also looking for a 162 rollerball (I believe it's the same size as the 146).

Yes the 162 rollerball is Legrand in size :)

Zaddick and CS388 comments are right on the money, good sound advise, great to have members such as them

~ Completely agree.

+1

Tom K.

That does not change my statement.

?? I wasn't suggesting that it would. I was merely putting forward a reason why OP had not done that.

~ To my surprise, two different friends have recently acquired genuine 149s in good working order for under €200.

In both cases the 149s were from dealers in Germany.

Photos of the pens looked fine — not like straight from a boutique, but clean, shiny, without major scuff marks.

Each friend was looking for between 1 to 2 months.

Patience paid off for them.

Tom K.

One has to look for a while and also be lucky to get a "deal" on a MB 149 pen nowadays. I have 9 MB 149s right now, and over the years, have had about 24 149s pass through my hands. And, it has taken me at least since 2001, ie 15 years to accumulate the 149's that I have decided to keep. So, Josey, just be patient, and keep checking the Classifieds here on FPN, on Newpentrace.com , and you will find a 149 that you like, and will fit your needs. Keep in mind though, some pens that might be great deals, will need about $100 or more because they will need to be repaired before you can use them. So budget some money for the possibility that you might need some repair work.