Yard-O-Led Viceroy Grand Plain Finish

visvamitra

Oh my, what a stately pen that is! Your review, as walys, was excellent and I love your photographs. This one shall be added to "The List" :D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• mongrelnomad

• A1979

• Ghost Plane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yard o Led pens are made by a relatively small number of craftsman in Birmingham, UK, not far from if not within the Jewellery area. They have recently been part of the Filofax group, not sure if that is still the case. The pens have a presence in high end shops in the UK, but they are quite pricey here as well especially with UK's 20% value added tax on top. I have a Viceroy Grand Barley I treated myself to, some years ago. It is a great writer, medium, and more than anything it is a classy pen. Unfortunately, one for writing at home with, there would be tears if I lost mine in the workplace.

Yard o Led pens are made by a relatively small number of craftsman in Birmingham, UK, not far from if not within the Jewellery area. They have recently been part of the Filofax group, not sure if that is still the case. The pens have a presence in high end shops in the UK, but they are quite pricey here as well especially with UK's 20% value added tax on top. I have a Viceroy Grand Barley I treated myself to, some years ago. It is a great writer, medium, and more than anything it is a classy pen. Unfortunately, one for writing at home with, there would be tears if I lost mine in the workplace.

The company is now employee owned and no longer part of Filofax IIRC. And last I heard there were a dozen employees.

My Website

I bought a Deco Pencil from the closing Penfriend this week, so my YOL collection is expanding. Wonderful objects, and the gold standard for silver pens (forgive the pun)...

Too many pens; too little writing.

That is a GORGEOUS pen!

I've got two Grand Viceroys, one Barley (fine nib) and one Victorian (broad nib), and they're both fantastic pens.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Peter Jones uses this pen, often shown in closeup, on the British version of Dragons' Den.

I think the nib is JoWo, not Bock.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the review. Lovely shots and close ups, many reviews are unable to capture the pen as well as you did, without specks of dust and reflections obscuring details of how clean looking the pen actually is. Been thinking of the Grand Viceroy from time to time.

My country has a colonial history too, suffered from the usual plunder, murder, rape and villainy of war. But I do understand the tendency to refer to the English as though they remain in the era where the sun has yet to set on the empire. After all we are writing with instruments from a bygone era.

• 1 year later...

I just saw this great review! I handle thousands of pens every year and Yard-o-Led is my favorite brand! I have several Y-o-L's, but my Viceroy Grand with barleycorn pattern is my fave. It's my go-to pen and has been for years. Not cheap but worth every cent!

post-59376-0-91090800-1530299863_thumb.jpg

I. Briggs

Director, Fine Pens, Watches and Comics,

PBA Galleries Auctioneers, San Francisco

ivan@pbagalleries.com

I just saw this great review! I handle thousands of pens every year and Yard-o-Led is my favorite brand! I have several Y-o-L's, but my Viceroy Grand with barleycorn pattern is my fave. It's my go-to pen and has been for years. Not cheap but worth every cent!

Fantastic pen, I have the same model since a couple of months. Mine had unfortunately a skipping problem - I’ve sent it to Michael Masuyama.

Fantastic pen, I have the same model since a couple of months. Mine had unfortunately a skipping problem - I’ve sent it to Michael Masuyama.

We must be living in parallel universes! I just confirmed with Mike this morning that I'm sending mine to him tomorrow. I'm having the nib ground to a fine stub.

I. Briggs

Director, Fine Pens, Watches and Comics,

PBA Galleries Auctioneers, San Francisco

ivan@pbagalleries.com

We must be living in parallel universes! I just confirmed with Mike this morning that I'm sending mine to him tomorrow. I'm having the nib ground to a fine stub.

:) :) :) Sounds good! I’ve asked him to solve the flow / skipping problem. I know that he will do a great job as always, and I will be able to enjoy this beautiful pen.

:) :) :) Sounds good! I’ve asked him to solve the flow / skipping problem. I know that he will do a great job as always, and I will be able to enjoy this beautiful pen.

Very interesting. Mike did his magic on my Y-o-L Viceroy Grand Barley at last years Colorado Pen Show. He ground my medium into a stub, turning a good pen into a great pen. These wonderful pens call out for an expressive nib and Mike makes that happen!

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Great review! Love my YOL! Got it for my retirement and had my initials engraved on the cap. Very nice writer!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Very interesting. Mike did his magic on my Y-o-L Viceroy Grand Barley at last years Colorado Pen Show. He ground my medium into a stub, turning a good pen into a great pen. These wonderful pens call out for an expressive nib and Mike makes that happen!

You made a great choice. Mike did the same “miracle” on many pens of mine. And every good pen turns indeed into a great pen!

Definitely more exclusive than MB and VFM for what you get. Precisely, the reasons I have one. ;)

I am unsure why the jump in prices. IIRC, 2 - 2.5 yrs ago they were under £700 but now retail under £900.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.