The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Yard-O-Led Viceroy Grand Plain Finish

yard-o-led fountain pen review

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Missy__

Missy__

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:32

Oh my, what a stately pen that is! Your review, as walys, was excellent and I love your photographs. This one shall be added to "The List" :D

Sponsored Content

#22 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:39

Yes, that's a stunning fountain pen. SImply stunning.

#23 Malk

Malk

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 15:51

Yard o Led pens are made by a relatively small number of craftsman in Birmingham, UK, not far from if not within the Jewellery area. They have recently been part of the Filofax group, not sure if that is still the case. The pens have a presence in high end shops in the UK, but they are quite pricey here as well especially with UK's  20% value added tax on top. I have a Viceroy Grand Barley I treated myself to, some years ago. It is a great writer, medium, and more than anything it is a classy pen. Unfortunately, one for writing at home with, there would be tears if I lost mine in the workplace.

#24 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,057 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 22:00

Yard o Led pens are made by a relatively small number of craftsman in Birmingham, UK, not far from if not within the Jewellery area. They have recently been part of the Filofax group, not sure if that is still the case. The pens have a presence in high end shops in the UK, but they are quite pricey here as well especially with UK's  20% value added tax on top. I have a Viceroy Grand Barley I treated myself to, some years ago. It is a great writer, medium, and more than anything it is a classy pen. Unfortunately, one for writing at home with, there would be tears if I lost mine in the workplace.

The company is now employee owned and no longer part of Filofax IIRC.  And last I heard there were a dozen employees.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#25 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 22:06

Are they still sold in the U.S.? I haven't seen many of late.

#26 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:46

I bought a Deco Pencil from the closing Penfriend this week, so my YOL collection is expanding. Wonderful objects, and the gold standard for silver pens (forgive the pun)...
Too many pens; too little writing.

#27 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 13:53

That is a GORGEOUS pen! 

I've got two Grand Viceroys, one Barley (fine nib) and one Victorian (broad nib), and they're both fantastic pens. 

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

#28 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 14:01

wow... your review is stunning... wow pics....

is the nib 18kt...???

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

#29 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 14:09

Yes, that's 18 ct.

#30 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 14:11

oh that nice...

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

#31 lurcho

lurcho

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 14:17

Peter Jones uses this pen, often shown in closeup, on the British version of Dragons' Den.

I think the nib is JoWo, not Bock.

#32 hsianloon

hsianloon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:59

Thank you for the review. Lovely shots and close ups, many reviews are unable to capture the pen as well as you did, without specks of dust and reflections obscuring details of how clean looking the pen actually is. Been thinking of the Grand Viceroy from time to time.

My country has a colonial history too, suffered from the usual plunder, murder, rape and villainy of war. But I do understand the tendency to refer to the English as though they remain in the era where the sun has yet to set on the empire. After all we are writing with instruments from a bygone era.

#33 Kid Parker

Kid Parker

PBA Galleries Penman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2018 - 19:17

I just saw this great review!  I handle thousands of pens every year and Yard-o-Led is my favorite brand!  I have several Y-o-L's, but my Viceroy Grand with barleycorn pattern is my fave.  It's my go-to pen and has been for years.  Not cheap but worth every cent! 

Attached Images

• yard o led.jpg

I. Briggs Director, Fine Pens, Watches and Comics, PBA Galleries Auctioneers, San Francisco ivan@pbagalleries.com

#34 A1979

A1979

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2018 - 21:45

I just saw this great review!  I handle thousands of pens every year and Yard-o-Led is my favorite brand!  I have several Y-o-L's, but my Viceroy Grand with barleycorn pattern is my fave.  It's my go-to pen and has been for years.  Not cheap but worth every cent!

Fantastic pen, I have the same model since a couple of months. Mine had unfortunately a skipping problem - I’ve sent it to Michael Masuyama.

#35 Kid Parker

Kid Parker

PBA Galleries Penman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2018 - 22:52

Fantastic pen, I have the same model since a couple of months. Mine had unfortunately a skipping problem - I’ve sent it to Michael Masuyama.

We must be living in parallel universes! I just confirmed with Mike this morning that I'm sending mine to him tomorrow. I'm having the nib ground to a fine stub.

I. Briggs Director, Fine Pens, Watches and Comics, PBA Galleries Auctioneers, San Francisco ivan@pbagalleries.com

#36 A1979

A1979

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2018 - 20:10

We must be living in parallel universes! I just confirmed with Mike this morning that I'm sending mine to him tomorrow. I'm having the nib ground to a fine stub.

:) :) :) Sounds good! I’ve asked him to solve the flow / skipping problem. I know that he will do a great job as always, and I will be able to enjoy this beautiful pen.

#37 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,446 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:41

:) :) :) Sounds good! I’ve asked him to solve the flow / skipping problem. I know that he will do a great job as always, and I will be able to enjoy this beautiful pen.

Very interesting. Mike did his magic on my Y-o-L Viceroy Grand Barley at last years Colorado Pen Show. He ground my medium into a stub, turning a good pen into a great pen. These wonderful pens call out for an expressive nib and Mike makes that happen!
May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#38 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• 26,863 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2018 - 20:00

Great review! Love my YOL! Got it for my retirement and had my initials engraved on the cap. Very nice writer!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#39 A1979

A1979

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2018 - 20:52

Very interesting. Mike did his magic on my Y-o-L Viceroy Grand Barley at last years Colorado Pen Show. He ground my medium into a stub, turning a good pen into a great pen. These wonderful pens call out for an expressive nib and Mike makes that happen!

You made a great choice. Mike did the same “miracle” on many pens of mine. And every good pen turns indeed into a great pen!

#40 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• 2,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2018 - 17:54

Definitely more exclusive than MB and VFM for what you get. Precisely, the reasons I have one.  ;)

I am unsure why the jump in prices. IIRC, 2 - 2.5 yrs ago they were under £700 but now retail under £900.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yard-o-led, fountain pen review

Sponsored Content

|