Overview: Conid Regular With Delrin

sketchstack

Hello everyone. I've written up another Conid overview, complete with some comparison images and videos. There's more at my website SketchStack.com.

There are some redundancies from my King Size overview that I've removed here. If you want to see that also check out my site and/or this FPN thread.

post-132721-0-77693300-1484507186_thumb.jpg

Introduction

This is not my first Conid purchase. My first pen from them was a flat top King Size —a great pen to be sure. You may want to visit that review here for additional, general information on the Conid ordering experience.

As it usually happens in the fountain pen world, that first purchase was not an end. Rather, it was an introduction. Thus I found myself wondering about the Regular Bulkfiller. Empirical evidence suggests that is their most popular model and there are more trim options available for the Regular than the SlimLine, Minimalista or King Size.

I settled on the round top demonstrator with Delrin® section and cap and a handful of nibs. (In simple terms, Delrin® is a plastic-like resin material. If you're interested in more, check out this site.) Like my King Size purchase, I opted for a medley of nibs as well, so I wouldn't have to agonize of what "might have been" had I settled on just one kind.
post-132721-0-69378900-1484507193_thumb.jpg
Ink Capacity Illustration
post-132721-0-10802500-1484507520_thumb.png

The Nib(s)

Like the King Size, I ordered the Regular with a handful of nib types. General thoughts on nibs can be seen in my earlier King Size review here.

Titanium Fine
I really like the #6 Titanium experience. As noted in my King Size review, I didn't understand what all the fuss was about in terms of flex. But the #6 is a different beast than the #8 --it really has some nice spring to it. I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

18k Fine
A very nice nib. It exhibits just a touch more soft spring than the titanium. Worth noting that the gold has a Conid logo laser etched, whereas the titanium is embossed with a Bock logo.

Steel
I essentially bought the steel nibs (F, M, B ) as a convenience should I ever need an inexpensive backup. Thus far I haven't tried them out.
post-132721-0-16025500-1484507180_thumb.jpg
King Size vs Regular

Naturally, I find myself comparing the King Size to the Regular. Of course there is nothing wrong with either of my pens --but there are differences between them. I've listed some observations that are, obviously, based on my own personal taste.

Pros: Regular compared to King Size

• The Regular less expensive …though not by a whole lot.
  • Featuring a #6 nib, the Regular offers more upgrade or replacement strategies. The King Size uses the #8 sized nib which is comparatively hard to find.

Cons: Regular compared to King Size
  • While I prefer larger pens in general, it’s specifically the section of the Regular that causes me to yearn for the King Size. The tapering of the Regular section is just a little too narrow for my grip. And I acknowledge that many reviewers actually really like this taper, but for me it’s a just bit too much.
  • Also related to the section is the tactile feel of the Delrin® material. I think it’s a beautiful matte material and seems as though it will be durable. But it’s just a little too slick for my grip.

Had I gotten a grippier material, perhaps my section woes would be asssuaged. Or perhaps if the section were less-tapered, then I wouldn't mind the Delrin® material quite as much.

While my assessment of the section is subjective and admittedly nuanced, I recommend the King Size if you lean at all toward larger sized pens. It's worth the extra money in my opinion. If a narrower tripod grip is important to you, then the Regular might be perfect for you!

post-132721-0-32269900-1484506925_thumb.jpg

https://youtu.be/m_nM7W5I88Y

Edited by sketchstack

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sketchstack

• Lloyd

• mongrelnomad

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahh, just the comparison I was looking for!

It's interesting that you found the Delrin material slicker. One of the reasons I have been considering the Regular is because I assumed that the Delrin, being matte, would provide a more tactile grip. I really don't like materials that are slippy or prone to getting greasy. I prefer the kingsize dimensions anyway, so your review has been very helpful :thumbup: .

I was going to contact Werner and ask if he could make a kingsize in Delrin for me. Even if that were possible, I've gone off the idea now. The polished ebonite version appears extremely shiny, but hopefully it is not as slick as it looks. So I'm either going to take a chance and opt for the ebonite which is currently available, or wait and hope that Conid will put their matte carbon / graphite Kingsize prototype into production soon.

Edited by noddle

Pens: Conid Kingsize ebonite (x2)
Inks: 
  KWZ Dark Brown / KWZ IG Orange / Diamine Chocolate / Diamine Burnt Sienna / Diamine Ochre / Monteverde Scotch Brown

It was this one pen (with a delrin barrel and titanium EF nib) that got me through a very difficult time - moving continent with a heavily pregnant wife and two year old in tow, hopping 'homes' half-a-dozen times in as many months... As my only pen (and starting a business and editing a novel), it came everywhere with me, clipped to my jeans pocket.

Enjoy the pen in good health - it is meant to be used and abused without mercy, don't forget that.

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Ahh, just the comparison I was looking for!

It's interesting that you found the Delrin material slicker. One of the reasons I have been considering the Regular is because I assumed that the Delrin, being matte, would provide a more tactile grip. I really don't like materials that are slippy or prone to getting greasy. I prefer the kingsize dimensions anyway, so your review has been very helpful :thumbup: .

I was going to contact Werner and ask if he could make a kingsize in Delrin for me. Even if that were possible, I've gone off the idea now. The polished ebonite version appears extremely shiny, but hopefully it is not as slick as it looks. So I'm either going to take a chance and opt for the ebonite which is currently available, or wait and hope that Conid will put their matte carbon / graphite Kingsize prototype into production soon.

I'm struggling to come up with an analogy to describe the Delrin. Sometimes you may see plastic "frosted" measuring cups for the kitchen --it kind of reminds me of that material a little bit. It's not really like matte-silicone or automotive soft-touch coating.

The truth is it's actually quite nice. But I thought it would be almost tacky, but I don't feel that's the case.

And the funny thing is I was originally in your very position, and I've since revised my views. I thought I wouldn't care for the ebonite --but I really, really like it. Here's an unboxing to whet your appetite:

https://youtu.be/tGiVXUZOqfw

It was this one pen (with a delrin barrel and titanium EF nib) that got me through a very difficult time - moving continent with a heavily pregnant wife and two year old in tow, hopping 'homes' half-a-dozen times in as many months... As my only pen, it came everywhere with me, clipped to my jeans pocket.

Enjoy the pen in good health - it is meant to be used and abused without mercy, don't forget that.

Nice to hear the pen offered some solace in a time of turmoil. :)

It was this one pen (with a delrin barrel and titanium EF nib) that got me through a very difficult time - moving continent with a heavily pregnant wife and two year old in tow, hopping 'homes' half-a-dozen times in as many months... As my only pen, it came everywhere with me, clipped to my jeans pocket.

That's so special.

I hope everything has settled down for you now :(

That's so special.

I hope everything has settled down for you now :(

Thanks Taz. Everything is now much, much calmer. Was one of those periods where a reckless 'good idea' turns out to be a very stupid idea indeed...

Really good review. I've admired the Conid pens for quite some time - bit beyond the reach of the average user though, alas. Surprised to see that the Pilot 823 takes more ink, though not by much.

Really good review. I've admired the Conid pens for quite some time - bit beyond the reach of the average user though, alas. Surprised to see that the Pilot 823 takes more ink, though not by much.

It may, but using that ink is a problem. I have both, and the 823 has a problem with rampaging air bubbles: its completely straight rod means that one invariably gets trapped by the opening to the section, resulting in... no writing. The Conid's rod is slightly curved to avoid just such an eventuality.

It is this level of attention to detail that, IMO, characterises the Conid as a class apart, and warrants every cent of the extra price.

You are probably right, but without the cash it's a moot point for me. When you say about the curved rod, in which plane is it curved? Along the length, or like a kind of bulging of the rod?

The nib on the 823 is rather something too.

You are probably right, but without the cash it's a moot point for me. When you say about the curved rod, in which plane is it curved? Along the length, or like a kind of bulging of the rod?

The nib on the 823 is rather something too.

Along the length... it you look at it closely, you see that it is not entirely straight. It only becomes so when tensed to close off the section.

Thanks Taz. Everything is now much, much calmer. Was one of those periods where a reckless 'good idea' turns out to be a very stupid idea indeed...

Glad to hear things are calmer. Storms are rarely pleasant but often lead to calmer times afterwards.

:)

I must have missed it...which of your nibs (Ti, gold, #6, #8, F, EF) yields the most line variation from flexing? Any issues with railroading/skipping? Do you have any favorites and why?

Edited by Lloyd

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I found that the delrin material becomes less slick over time. I found my Minimalistica to be quite slippery to hold when I first got it.

I found that the delrin material becomes less slick over time. I found my Minimalistica to be quite slippery to hold when I first got it.

Thank you --that's an interesting note that I'll have to look out for. I'll update my write up if that's the case.