2017 Los Angeles Pen Show

Anyone here going to the LA Pen Show this year?

I'm planning on attending Sunday as it is the day open to the public. I attended the show 1 time before about two or three years ago but I had no idea what I was doing and only made it to the last 45 minutes of the show. I was also very new to the hobby. Now that I've amassed a deeper collection I want to make the most of it.

What do you all suggest for me to do if I want to make the

Lost of it?

Any suggestions? Any FPNers going Sunday?

Edited by 888007888

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Cyber6

• FarmBoy

• touzeen

I went last year on a trader's pass and will do it again. I only went Thursday and Friday, so I can't tell you how many of your objectives will be able to be met on Sunday. I've heard that the lines get pretty long for Sunday and people start lining up before they open the doors.

I plan on having some nib work done if I can. Last year I was unable to get on the list to see Mike Masuyama as his list filled up very quickly, so I'm hoping to be there earlier this year.

I also didn't have any luck last year selling a pen I wasn't using, so I can't give you any advice on selling. I have another couple that I'm looking to sell, but I think I'll have better luck through classifieds online.

There are a ton of knowledgeable people there and everyone was really friendly. I would highly recommend checking out the show to anyone with an interest in fountain pens.

I plan to be there for Sunday. Hoping that I can find some of the harder-to-find inks in the US, especially KWZI. And whatever else I run into.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Sent in my Trader registration, mainly to get access to the nibmeisters and be able to look around at everything without the Sunday mob. Good to know that I'm gonna need to get there early to get on the nibwork list.

Hello from India! This will my first Pen Show!

Will be visiting S.F for 2 weeks and will fly over to L.A for the show. Plan on getting the Trader Pass and attending Saturday and Sunday.

Have fixed my sights on an OMAS Arco (Did anyone see the Arco pens Sarj shared on IG?! :wub: ) or a Nakaya (will be my first). And of course, the F.C Limited Ed. Pen and Ink.

Now If only I could decide which pens I need get worked on. I contacted Mr.Mike Masuyama and was told that he can accept only 2 pens per person per sign-up at the show.

Hello from India! This will my first Pen Show!

Will be visiting S.F for 2 weeks and will fly over to L.A for the show. Plan on getting the Trader Pass and attending Saturday and Sunday.

Have fixed my sights on an OMAS Arco (Did anyone see the Arco pens Sarj shared on IG?! :wub: ) or a Nakaya (will be my first). And of course, the F.C Limited Ed. Pen and Ink.

Now If only I could decide which pens I need get worked on. I contacted Mr.Mike Masuyama and was told that he can accept only 2 pens per person per sign-up at the show.

If you will be in San Francisco pre-show we usually have at least one if not two or three pre-LA pen gatherings. You are welcome to attend any or all as our guest.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I know it's pricey, but my experience has been that the trader's pass is completely worth the money. You get the time and space to really look at everything and talk to people. You have a much better chance of talking to people like Mike Matsuyama and John Mottishaw, as well as having them work on your pens. On Sunday, it's so crowded that you can't really have conversations with the people running the tables; and by then, much of the merchandise has been picked over in the preceding three days. And the workshops on Saturday, which are free and don't require the trader's pass, are also terrific.

My two cents – either way, you'll have a great time! And welcome to our friend from India!

@FarmBoy

Great to know that ! Where can I get the details?

@tknechtel

I do plan to get the Trader Pass. Sticking to a budget seems to be the most difficult to do!

I hate that I missed the LA Show last year for the first time in a few years. It had been a "can't miss" show for me. I plan to be there this year on Friday and Saturday.

Edited by whichwatch

In my case, I have obligations in San Francisco the day before, so I can only come out for the one day on Sunday. I'll be flying in and out the same day, mainly to keep costs down.

I still think it will be enjoyable, even if merchandise selection on Sunday isn't what it would have been a few days prior.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

@FarmBoy

@tknechtel

I do plan to get the Trader Pass. Sticking to a budget seems to be the most difficult to do!

Watch here. Announcements are usually made by AltecGreen or AC12. We will most certainly meet in Millbrae about a block from BART at Peter' Cafe.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

We'll be there ... two tables reserved!

You... again?? :D

Watch here. Announcements are usually made by AltecGreen or AC12. We will most certainly meet in Millbrae about a block from BART at Peter' Cafe.

Still way too far from San Diego. You guys need to find a more convenient location for me. So I guess I'll see you in LA.

I haven't been too private about how bummed out I was at the LA show last year, and how poorly I thought it was run, but it is still the closest show to me, and it brings all manner of great friends and great pens, in that order, within striking distance. I simply can't miss, so the hotel is booked for 3 nights and I've got the pass, and I'll decide how long I want to make this trip.

As stated by others, if you are really into pens and stuffs and can at all swing it, the trader pass and attending before Sunday is very much worthwhile, by at least an order of magnitude. Even more so if your interest is in vintage.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Will be there again (already probably for the 5th time), representing Artus pens. You are very welcome to stop by, and check the quality of handpainted pens with great nibs...may be you have a custom order in mind...If not , not a problem - just say HI or stop to chat. Looking very much forward to see all the pen friends!

I could not be there last year after more than twenty attending, so i will be there this time... No table but will visit everybody as usual.

@FarmBoy

@tknechtel

I just posted the details for this Sunday.

We will definitely meet on Feb. 12th and Feb. 26th. We will likely meet once or twice more between Jan. 22 and Feb. 12th. Look in this forum for info.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

I've been going for several years now and will be going this year as well. I live in Los Angeles so attending doesn't entail any travel costs. I always get the trader pass because the place is a mob scene on Sunday and I don't like having to fight through crowds to see anything. It's always a fun event with lots and lots to see and do. It's also a nice opportunity to get some nib work done in real time, instead of having to send your pen away for weeks or months. One of these days I'm going to pick up one of those Ryan Krusac custom pens as well. He's got a display table every year and his pens are gorgeous.

One of these days I'm going to pick up one of those Ryan Krusac custom pens as well. He's got a display table every year and his pens are gorgeous.

Not to mention the fact that, at least for a couple of the years, he's partnered up with an artisanal chocolatier, whose work is delicious!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I've only been to a few pen shows so far, but I really like the traders pass, which lets you get in thurs-Sun. My favorite time is the pre-show. It is less crowded, just an easier pace. From thursday afternoon onward, you can see the show growing as more and more vendors arrive.

And I too like the chocolate vendor from Atlanta.