Ben Franklin's Virtues Daily Record And Journal

Mullen88

This is a review of Ben Franklin's Virtues Daily Record and Journal which can be purchased on the Art Of Maniliness web store.

While researching history I came across Ben Franklin's system for becoming a better man and was instantly intrigued by it. He identified 13 virtues which he felt were important and began journaling and documenting his quest for perfection through the use of these virtues. Of course perfection is an unattainable status but attempting it cannot be faulted.

This Daily Record and Journal is a great everyday companion and helps you stay focused on things that will improve your life and help you become a better person.

The Journal insert comes with a beautiful brown leather cover that is made in the U.S.A. and feels like it will stand the test of time. So, in the future, you could possibly pass this on to your child/grandchild, or buy them one of their own. You can also buy just the insert without the cover.

The inserts span 13 weeks and consist of a virtues checklist at the beginning of every week, an agenda for each day, and a page with the questions: "What good shall I do this day?" and "What good have I done this day?". So you sit down in the morning and fill out the "What good shall I do this day?" section, fill out the daily record as you go, and then at night sit down and assess if you've met your goals from the morning. In addition, you put a dot beside the virtues you failed to live up to on the checklist page. This is a great way to build a habit of thinking about your actions before and after you execute them. It's become invaluable to me and is part of my EDC.

Since the insert only lasts 13 weeks I recommend getting a yearly supply (4) at the beginning of each year.

Once an insert is full you archive it and then put a new one in the beautiful leather cover. You can, of course, only buy the inserts and carry that with you but I think the leather cover is well worth the money.

I enjoy this item very much and recommend it highly. It is something that will help anyone improve and become a happier, friendlier, and overall better person. And the leather cover is heriloom quality, which doesn't hurt.

Sorry, no pictures right now. I may add some later, but you can always check it out on the AOM website.

To purchase this item go to the Art Of Manliness web store.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the AOM nor are they compensating me for this review. I just enjoy their product.

Keep your nose clean and your nib wet.

-Mullen88

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mullen88

• Runnin_Ute

• OCArt

Top Posters In This Topic

For those like me who have forgotten exactly what virtues Franklin listed here they are

1. Temperance. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  2. Silence. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  3. Order. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  4. Resolution. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  5. Frugality. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
  6. Industry. Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  7. Sincerity. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
  8. Justice. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  9. Moderation. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  10. Cleanliness. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.
  11. Tranquillity. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  12. Chastity. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  13. Humility. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

For those like me who have forgotten exactly what virtues Franklin listed here they are

1. Temperance. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  2. Silence. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  3. Order. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  4. Resolution. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  5. Frugality. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
  6. Industry. Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  7. Sincerity. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
  8. Justice. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  9. Moderation. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  10. Cleanliness. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.
  11. Tranquillity. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  12. Chastity. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  13. Humility. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

I keep a listing of these in my Franklin planner. (FranklinCovey)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain