Two Weeks With The Conid Cappuccino Regular Bulkfiller Le

mauckcg

A couple of months into this fountain pen journey i first stumbled across Conid. The engineer part of me found the design of the bulkfiller mechanism to be an inspired twist on the piston filler. The industrial design to me was unique and beautiful in its own right. After reading more than a few reviews it was only a matter of time before i ordered one of my own.

Luckily, fountainbel announced the regular sized Cappuccino about the time i was thinking hard on ordering a regular size bulkfiller. I was lucky enough to be free the morning this LE was available to order and managed to order one of my own. One trifling detail though, i don't drink coffee. At all. I have tea, lots and lots of tea. So for me this is more of a Caramel Fudgeswirl Icecream pen.

31464081264_3dd77e1106_c.jpg

In person it is a gorgeous acrylic with lights of color variation, and even some sparkle/flecks in the caramel areas. Plenty of swirls and changes in color to keep you looking at it every time you pull it out.

31464083364_e158e02b4b_c.jpg
31929148590_67ba1dbf42_c.jpg

I ordered two Titanium nibs. I am in Homer Simpson school at the moment (Licensed reactor operator training) so i ordered a XFine and Fine nibs for the amount of note taking i will be doing for the next two years.

31464126714_ee428027fe_c.jpg

This is where Conid really shines. The ability to customize the nibs by material, and almost every imaginable grind truly allows you to make these pens your own.

After i recieved the pen i dipped both nibs in 5 different brands of ink, Iroshizuko, Sailor, Noodlers, Pelikan, and Diamine. Even on crappy paper the XFine worked beatifully, the fine runs a bit wide which will limit it's use a little bit. Neither nib had an issue with anything in the first test.

The first full ink up was with Ku Jaku.
32156287642_50fddb9eee_c.jpg

The XFine is very smooth. It has a very slight amount of feedback, just enough to be pleasent, but not enough to be annoying or grating. The nib lays down a very nice wet line and because it is titanium you can get a little bit of line variation/thickness. The line is well controlled, even with a very wet and saturated Noodlers ink.

32305854695_f484691a8a_c.jpg

Because this is licensing, I have been doing a lot of engineering notes and thermo work in the first two weeks. This nib is perfect for what I have been doing.

The Fine is amazing. Just like the XFine, the Fine nib lays down a well controlled even wet line of ink. It is a bit on the thick side, but i have yet to find an ink that doesn't work beautifully with this nib. I absolutely love it!

31464078014_2e23c9a391_c.jpg

Now is the hard part. I have a Blue Pearl Kingsize with an amazing smoother nib tuned by Wimg. I have a couple of vintage Wahl Eversharp Skylines with superb vintage gold nibs. This titanium fine might be even smoother. The fine is sooooooooooooooo smooth the nib feels like it is floating along the page with minimal effort required to write with it. The writing cert for the nibs is signed JRO, which i think is Johann, if it is, he is my new favorite person.

31495071153_a913ffddef_c.jpg

Believe what you read about Conids' pens. They are exquisitely manufactured pens that allow you to custom tailor it to your tastes. This particular LE Regular is about as perfect a pen as you can ask for. For me, Conids are a grail pen, and as long as they keep making them to this high of a standard I will keep coming back for more. And now, back to studying unfortunately.

Although all of the vintage nibs on Conids i have seen recently... A vintage nib could be fun...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mauckcg

• Lloyd

• mehandiratta

• ChrisA

Hi mauckog,

Thanks a lot for your honest review, glad reading you are happy with your latest Bulkfiller !

You've made my day, much appreciated.

And yes, your nibs are ground and fine-tuned by Conid"s Johan Robbroeckx, and he really does an amazing job !

I had the honor in training Johan for nib grinding end fine-tuning and felt directly he was gifted for this precision work.

Indeed, I was sure he would exceed my possibilities !

Be assured Conid will never step away from the high production standards they actually apply.

Technically and aesthetically their Bulkfillers should be perfect, now and in the future.

Wishing you lots of writing pleasure !

Francis

Thank you for the review. I've been lusting for some Conid since I first heard about them. One of these days I'll pusz the button. This color combination however doesn nothing to me. I enjoy your enthusiastic reviews and detailed pictures but while the shape of this pen is great I would definitely prefer demonstrator version.

Thank you for the review. I've been lusting for some Conid since I first heard about them. One of these days I'll pusz the button. This color combination however doesn nothing to me. I enjoy your enthusiastic reviews and detailed pictures but while the shape of this pen is great I would definitely prefer demonstrator version.

Right now there are 18 different options for a Regular on the Conid website. They have something for just about everybody.

Hi mauckog,

Thanks a lot for your honest review, glad reading you are happy with your latest Bulkfiller !

You've made my day, much appreciated.

And yes, your nibs are ground and fine-tuned by Conid"s Johan Robbroeckx, and he really does an amazing job !

I had the honor in training Johan for nib grinding end fine-tuning and felt directly he was gifted for this precision work.

Indeed, I was sure he would exceed my possibilities !

Be assured Conid will never step away from the high production standards they actually apply.

Technically and aesthetically their Bulkfillers should be perfect, now and in the future.

Wishing you lots of writing pleasure !

Francis

Hello Francis,

Can you please take a moment to respond to the message I sent you?

Thank you,

Kyle

Thank you for the review... This solidified my opinion on buying Conid soon...

I waiting on limited edition model for year 2017

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Me too ;-)

Has an estimated date been set for this release?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Has an estimated date been set for this release?

No guarantee anything is coming. The two arco celluloid's are prototypes. Fountainbel has a ton of prototypes that never made it past prototype.

Bummer... :( I'd like the Kingsize in a colorful acrylic.

Oscar Wilde

To me, delrin is too slippery, clear acrylic is too staining, and ebonite is too light and water sensitive.

Oscar Wilde