The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

My First Pelikan Fountain Pen

fountain pen pelikan m800

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 errorinious

errorinious

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:33

Hello,

I bought set M800 & K800 one month ago, with cheap price. It is my first pelikan fountain pen. I think it is old stock product because have marked W.-Germany at the cap band. I like this pen

Attached Images

• 20170114_164407.jpg

Edited by errorinious, 14 January 2017 - 09:39.

Sponsored Content

#2 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,385 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:56

Somegi.......... :angry: :gaah: :wallbash:

Got it Cheap........... :yikes: ....................so it's no good?

Actually you got over big time.

W.Germany 800's ('87?89-90)have a bonus....on one is sure it is the better slightly springy 'true' regular flex nibs ever made.

The W.Germany nibs were tad better than the Germany nibs (after '90) up to @ '98 when the 400's became fat blobby semi-nails and the 800 became a nail.

I had the privilege of trans-mailing one  W.Germany 800 to Spain in the German Idiot seller refused to mail out side of Germany.

Even though I found the 800 to be too Large, awkward and clunky....I was impressed with the nib that was all that others had written......one of the very best of the once normal issue nibs....the 'true' regular flex.

I would buy a W.Germany 800....I would never buy a modern nail 800. One has a nib worth having....yours. The other is just a nail.....and a nail's a nail no matter who makes it or if it's steel or gold.....it's only a nail.

I call it 'true' regular flex....in that was once the normal issue nib of many pen companies.

Then in the late '90's many companies went over to semi-nail and nail nibs as normal issue in they didn't have to repair them for the cross over Jack Hammer handed Ball Point Barbarians.

Grumble, grumble...grumble cubed. a Cheap W. Germany 800.

:happyberet: I got a somegi my self with a 100n.

:W2FPN:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 14 January 2017 - 12:57.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#3 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 14:36

Congratulations!   :thumbup:

#4 errorinious

errorinious

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 14:55

Thanks olson.

Like do you say, it is very soft and i like it. I got it with $180, because that is old stock and last stock. I think that's cheaper than other saller and with new condition.
I am excited to know it is good item

Edited by errorinious, 14 January 2017 - 15:02.

#5 PenPaper52

PenPaper52

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 15:21

Hello,
I bought set M800 & K800 one month ago, with cheap price. It is my first pelikan fountain pen. I think it is old stock product because have marked W.-Germany at the cap band. I like this pen

Hello errorinious and welcome.

Congratulations on your newly acquired set!
Enjoy!

#6 Lam1

Lam1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 15:22

Oh, my gosh! You got an early M800 for only $180!!!
It doesn't get much better than that! That is a sumgai in my book.

Congratulations and have fun with the new pen.

#7 errorinious

errorinious

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 15:34

Thanks all

#8 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,234 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 16:49

That's something to treasure!  May you enjoy your pen set for many years to come.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#9 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 17:45

Looks to be from 1988 to 1990 or so. You got an amazing deal. Enjoy your new pens.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#10 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 20:11

That's a great set from a very desirable time period of manufacture.  Amazing price.  Congrats and enjoy!

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#11 billy1380

billy1380

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 20:53

Cannot wait for a writing sample.... Gratz!

#12 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• 1,587 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 22:44

😲
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#13 DougS

DougS

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:10

Welcome to the club and congrats.

#14 DrCodfish

DrCodfish

neophyte

• Member - Gold

• 1,586 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:31

Uh oh, first step on the slippery slope.

#15 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:43

Grats on the super duper find. And such a bargain! Doesn't get much better than that.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#16 errorinious

errorinious

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:23

Cannot wait for a writing sample.... Gratz!

Ink: pelikan 4001 royal blue.
Paper: kokuyo

Attached Images

• 20170115_122046.jpg

#17 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:38

Good flexy nib too. Congrats on acquiring the beautiful set.
Khan M. Ilyas

#18 viju

viju

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:49

Nice line variations and a beautiful nib... classic Pelikan green.. Congrats and enjoy..

#19 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 15:23

What an incredible deal on a beautiful set! The nib is far superior to the current production. Congratulations and welcome to FPN!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#20 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,385 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 17:00

Mitto.

That is what was once called regular flex....what I call 'true' regular flex in regular issue nowadays is semi-nail and nail.

It is not 'flexi' nor semi-flex. It is a very good springy regular flex nib.

A regular flex nib can be mashed to 3 X a light down stroke....part of the 3X nib set that includes semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex. Half the pressure needed to mash a regular flex to 3 X tine spread = semi-flex, half of that or 1/4th the pressure needed to mash a regular flex = maxi-semi-flex.

With lots of pressure a semi-nail can be made to go 2 X a light down stroke....not know for good tine bend.

Many folks coming over from nail&semi-nail think 'true' regular flex to be semi-flex because of ease and tine spread. It is not.

I was once a semi-flex snob....but I've come to like 'true' regular flex nibs. They give a nice ride and are often better nibs in they are drier than semi-flex for shading inks.

That 'W. Germany' 800 I trans-mailed to Spain, because of it's fame was one of the first springy normal regular flex nibs that I really marked in my mind....it was famous as one of the very best regular flex nibs ever made.*****

'Springy' nibs like a Falcon, modern MB and the Lamy Imporium have good tine bend but only 2 X tine spread.

Lamy blew it.....it is a wonderful 'Springy' nib....and could have been semi-flex with just a bit of more effort. :crybaby:

*****A passed poster, told me when I asked her if I should chase a '82-90 W. Germany M400, not to, in I'd be disappointment in I was already spoiled with semi-flex 140 OB and a maxi-semi-flex 400nn OF.

She was right. Middle of last year I got a W.Germany 200. It is 'nice' but with 42 semi/maxi pens nothing I'm going to reach for 'first'. :yikes:  :blush: 

It's one of the 15 pens I have inked. It needs it's time in the sun too.

The W. Germany 800 is the only 800 I'd think of buying....that is one very nice regular flex nib.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fountain pen, pelikan, m800

Sponsored Content

|